TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 GT Axle Ratio changes

electra

I hope someone can clarify what the standard axle ratio on the GT with a manual for 2007 is. Because the 2007 order guide never spells out what the standard axle ratio is for the manual GT.

I'm under the impression that the axle ratios of the 2005 and 2006 GT with a manual was a 3.55 limited slip and the automatic was a 3.31 with limited slip.

Until recently I didn't know that the standard ratio for the 2005/6 was a 3.55 until I looked at an old 2006 odering guide.

After ordering a 2007 manual GT in April, and just seeing the price list for 2007 last week, I now relalize that Ford has decontented the GT by making the 3.55 axle with limited slip a $100 option on the manual. Am I to assume the standard axle on the 2007 Manual GT is a 3.31?

If anyone can confirm or refute my analysis, I'd appreciate it.

Also, if I am now stuck with 3.31 axle, how much will this degrade my off the line performance?

Does anyone know why Ford has done this, other than to get a extra $100 out of us?

Dave

This is from five-0 on another thread here. I couldn't figure out how to link it.

____________________________________________________________________________________

"The 2006 Mustang brochures had a glaring typo in it regarding axles. Here is the real info on axles and gears!

All V6's have an open rear end (not the Traction-Lok) with 3.31 gears.

All GT's get the Traction-Lok axle. 2005 and 2006 GT Automatics got 3.31's and GT Manuals got 3.55's. For 2007, all GT's continue to get the Traction-Lok axle (it is NOT called a torque lock), but the gears are 3.31's for all, unless you order the optional 3.55 gears (GT Manual only).

Traction-Lok is a limited slip differential. It is mechanically operated with clutch packs in the differential, just as most have over the decades. It has been standard on all V8 Mustangs since 1985. It sends power to the tire that has the most traction instead of the free-wheeling tire on a slippery surface.

Traction-Control is also standard on all GT's. It is a computer/ABS controlled device that intervenes if the drive wheels (rear tires) slip or spin. It reduces spark and fuel to reduce engine power, then will even apply back brakes as needed to keep the tires from spinning."

I know when I found out that the 3.55 wasn't standard on a manual GT, I changed my order. I made the change in mid May. Probably caused me to not be produced during the first weeks production.

Chip in SC

Also, if I am now stuck with 3.31 axle, how much will this degrade my off the line performance?

Does anyone know why Ford has done this, other than to get a extra $100 out of us?

Dave

Yes, you (as will the Shelbys) will get the 3.31. Your scenario sounds identical to mine. I have been assured that unless you are a super enthusiast, you won't notice the difference. I have also been told that this was done to bump up the Mustang's average MPG ratings. That in fact the manual GT with the 3.31 could very well get highway MPG's in the "High 20's"...

Good info. Thanks.

I plan on installing 4:10's anyway - so I won't be needing the extra cost 3:55's. :shift:

Yes, you (as will the Shelbys) will get the 3.31. Your scenario sounds identical to mine. I have been assured that unless you are a super enthusiast, you won't notice the difference. I have also been told that this was done to bump up the Mustang's average MPG ratings. That in fact the manual GT with the 3.31 could very well get highway MPG's in the "High 20's"...

Good info. Thanks.

I plan on installing 4:10's anyway - so I won't be needing the extra cost 3:55's. :shift:

I have 4:10s in my 05 among other goodies and I get 21mpg. Iam getting ready

to put a TCI street fighter in the trans that will probably decrease my mpg a mile

or two. I hope my Shelby gets here or I will have my 05 in the 11's soon.

Hello. I'm a new forum member and I thought I might have a little info that might be useful in this thread. I'm not a Mustang owner yet (have to wait a few more months) but I went for a GT test drive yesterday. The salesman took me out in an '07 GT in Grabber Orange. I snapped a few photos of the car and the window sticker. If you examine the window sticker, you'll see that the 3.55 rear end is a $100 (MSRP) option for 2007.

Here are some pics:

grabber-orange-gt-front.jpg

grabber-orange-gt-frnt-qrtr.jpg

Here's the window sticker with the rear-end option:

grabber-orange-gt-window-sticker.jpg

Great pics - thanks.

I don't see anything on the sticker about the black stripes.

Grabber Orange is growing on me. :bandance:

Rims aren't my style, tho.

Glad you liked the pics. It was a cloudy day here, so the color is a bit off. Plus, they had the car parked under an overhang, so that also added to the shadows.

I only asked a little bit about the stripes. Apparently a local shop, not the dealer, did the work. They're vinyl. I was curious how much it would add to the selling price.

As has been pointed out, the stripe job isn't the greatest - it doesn't wrap around edges and from the driver's seat, the tape doesn't go down the backside of the scoop. I thought that was wierd.

• 2 weeks later...

I was surfing Ford Racing and they sell a stripe kit - for about $350.00!

I've found a local guy who stripes trucks, boats, and cars that will put some 10" stripes on my GT for $300 including the materials.

Ford? Hello? :banghead:

Archived