TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carburation Problem?

I recently found out that my car (see details in my signature area) didn't have the correct model 2V carburator installed. It had a 1968 2V model with 1.08" venturi size from a 302 engine versus the correct 1.23" venturi model. Other than the choke mechanism not working properly, making the process of starting the car a challenge, the car ran fine when the engine was warm. I recently purchased the correct model from Pony Carburators and installed it according to their instructions. I timed it according to their instructions as well (though I still don't trust their method). Anyway, the car starts and idles perfectly, but when I put it into gear and press on the gas it boggs down and wants to stall. When the car warms-up, the problem goes away. Any ideas why it does that? Perhaps the choke plate is sticking closed? This didn't happen with the old carburator so it shouldn't be the accelerator pump, correct?

I recently found out that my car (see details in my signature area) didn't have the correct model 2V carburator installed. It had a 1968 2V model with 1.08" venturi size from a 302 engine versus the correct 1.23" venturi model. Other than the choke mechanism not working properly, making the process of starting the car a challenge, the car ran fine when the engine was warm. I recently purchased the correct model from Pony Carburators and installed it according to their instructions. I timed it according to their instructions as well (though I still don't trust their method). Anyway, the car starts and idles perfectly, but when I put it into gear and press on the gas it boggs down and wants to stall. When the car warms-up, the problem goes away. Any ideas why it does that? Perhaps the choke plate is sticking closed? This didn't happen with the old carburator so it shouldn't be the accelerator pump, correct?

Sounds like improper coke setting but I can`t believe that Pony Carb would have let this get by as they install all their rebuilt carbs on engines & run them before they ship them. Contact them & explain your problem, they should be able to help you.

Good Luck

Shelby 001

Sounds like improper coke setting but I can`t believe that Pony Carb would have let this get by as they install all their rebuilt carbs on engines & run them before they ship them. Contact them & explain your problem, they should be able to help you.

Good Luck

Shelby 001

That's what I was thinking. I called Pony Carb and they told my choke was fine but that my vacuum was not high enough. I am pulling 17psi of vacuum (Ford's technical manual says 18psi). However, John from Pony Carb said that I should bring it up to 20psi by tweaking the air-fuel ratio and timing. He said "Ford's manual is wrong." Is 20psi possible to achieve? I'll give it a try this weekend...

On another note, it is a sweet looking unit. The carb was concourse plated. Almost hate to put the air cleaner assembly back on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you running a stock cam?

As far as I know this engine is all stock. How can I know definitively without removing it for inspection? Previous owners said the engine was rebuilt once but didn't mention that the cam was swapped.

I haven't had any time to play with the car yet, but will soon... Pony Carb. did mention that my distributor could be off by one tooth as well. I have turned the distributor as far as it goes clockwise and the engine does not buck and bog like it does when I turn it counter-clockwise past 6 o'clock.

As far as I know this engine is all stock. How can I know definitively without removing it for inspection? Previous owners said the engine was rebuilt once but didn't mention that the cam was swapped.

I haven't had any time to play with the car yet, but will soon... Pony Carb. did mention that my distributor could be off by one tooth as well. I have turned the distributor as far as it goes clockwise and the engine does not buck and bog like it does when I turn it counter-clockwise past 6 o'clock.

Try putting the timing light on it and see what range of timing you get. You may be a tooth off

What is your current timing set at?

I will point you to a great website with ALOT of traffic.

www.fordmuscle.com

There are alot of good/helpful people there. Plus a wealth of info in their tech deptartment.

Thank you! I'll give them a try as well.

I have put a timing light on it and it is 10 degrees (factory setting). The distributor vacuum hose is approx. 7 o'clock as you look at the engine from the front. However Pony Carb discourages the use of a timing light. Something about the harmonic balancer shifting position over decades...(?)

svttim, I haven't tried to look at the range I get with the timing light as I twist the distributor. What is a normal range?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! I'll give them a try as well.

I have put a timing light on it and it is 10 degrees (factory setting). The distributor vacuum hose is approx. 7 o'clock as you look at the engine from the front. However Pony Carb discourages the use of a timing light. Something about the harmonic balancer shifting position over decades...(?)

svttim, I haven't tried to look at the range I get with the timing light as I twist the distributor. What is a normal range?

Sorry for the delay, I cant remeber what the range should br but you should be able to hit TDC although it wont run very well. Sounds like the distributor in correctly!

Archived