TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WHAT TIRE'S TO GET?

Once the goodyear's runout or time to change what better tire to get ass the SHELBY GT500 has traction issue [sure 500 ponie's] on my 93 lx I have NITTO 555r drag's they are very good tire. Would appreciate if other member's would give there opinion?BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!! :party: :happy feet: :bandance:

I have had Yokohama AVS sport Intermediate compound on my 97 Cobra in the 265-35/18 and 285-35/18 and found them to be a very good tire. Stick like glue, wear well and I am on my second set. I also had a set of BFG kdw on the car and found she didn't like them near as much. I have read that the new kd's are a better tire so I may go that way again. I also had pirelli Zero's on the 300Z(TT) and hated them with a passion. Sucks to spend 1500$ on a set of skins and then hate them the whole time you have them. I replaced those with goodyear eagle whatevers and sold the car.

I have 275/40/17 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S all the way around my Mach 1. Awesome tires in the rain, while still performing better in the summer than the factory Goodyears. Heck, they work better in the rain than the factory tires work in the summer! Living in the Seattle area, a good all-season performance tire is a must. Cost is reasonable, as well, at about $150 per tire for the size I use.

It still bothers me that buying tires is such a crap shoot. And as these sorts of cars need good care and feeding it isn't like buying a Walley World replacement for a girl friends 98 Civic for 55$. This was a really good article for me as the car is near mine, modded close to the same way and Campystango drives it a lot like I drive mine(yes I do communicate with him) So for reading interest MM&FF/DOT tire test

It still bothers me that buying tires is such a crap shoot. And as these sorts of cars need good care and feeding it isn't like buying a Walley World replacement for a girl friends 98 Civic for 55$. This was a really good article for me as the car is near mine, modded close to the same way and Campystango drives it a lot like I drive mine(yes I do communicate with him) So for reading interest MM&FF/DOT tire test

Thank's JETSOLVER and ALL OTHER MEMBER'S! :party: I noticed that PERRILLI ZERO are the most common.BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!! :party: :happy feet: :bandance:

:party:

My take on tires..................based on 99% of us and our abilities, they are all fairly equal. Most major manufacturers have high end, and low end passenger car tires. Apples to apples, they are all close. I can't stand when someone says Goodyear are better than Pirelli's.............sure $300 Goodyear vs $100 Pirelli, vise versa is the same. But is a $300 Goodyear better than its equal $300 Pirelli ??? Doubt it, and doubt most of us would know or notice.

:party:

My take on tires..................based on 99% of us and our abilities, they are all fairly equal. Most major manufacturers have high end, and low end passenger car tires. Apples to apples, they are all close. I can't stand when someone says Goodyear are better than Pirelli's.............sure $300 Goodyear vs $100 Pirelli, vise versa is the same. But is a $300 Goodyear better than its equal $300 Pirelli ??? Doubt it, and doubt most of us would know or notice.

Great post.

SVTpower,

I completely disagree. The tread compounds, sidewall stiffness, ride and handling in top end tires can be greatly different from one tire to another. I have used tires that cost the same as other brands that feel and respond COMPLETELY different on the road, and hugely different on the track.

Changing lanes, running over bridge segments or rough surfaces, tire wear, wet traction, etc. can be as important as latteral g's produced and times around or down a track. And the price is no indication of performance.

Also what performs well on a light, front-drive car MAY not be what performs well on a heavy BMW, Mercedes, or 4000 lb GT500. Diameter, tread width, and sidewall ratio also play a big part.

Tire technology (compounds, tread patterns, sidewall design, etc.) is constantly changing and updating. Other than the hard numbers for performance, what each of us want from a tire is a very subjective issue.

I will say this, the new Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R is a great handling tire that rides and lasts amazingly well. It is just not yet made wide enough for the rear of the GT500.

SVTpower,

I completely disagree. The tread compounds, sidewall stiffness, ride and handling in top end tires can be greatly different from one tire to another. I have used tires that cost the same as other brands that feel and respond COMPLETELY different on the road, and hugely different on the track.

Changing lanes, running over bridge segments or rough surfaces, tire wear, wet traction, etc. can be as important as latteral g's produced and times around or down a track. And the price is no indication of performance.

Also what performs well on a light, front-drive car MAY not be what performs well on a heavy BMW, Mercedes, or 4000 lb GT500. Diameter, tread width, and sidewall ratio also play a big part.

Tire technology (compounds, tread patterns, sidewall design, etc.) is constantly changing and updating. Other than the hard numbers for performance, what each of us want from a tire is a very subjective issue.

I will say this, the new Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R is a great handling tire that rides and lasts amazingly well. It is just not yet made wide enough for the rear of the GT500.

NITTO!

Cheers,

Requis

Archived