TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone install new grille housing?

Looks like it may be a nice item to replace the plastic they left in.

On a side note, Anyone having problems with the old plastic grille housing they particlly removed warping at the bottom. Along the bottom where it sits on the front facia it looks like a wave. Some places its touching the front facia and other places its about 1/2" higher. Looks horrible.

On a side note, Anyone having problems with the old plastic grille housing they particlly removed warping at the bottom. Along the bottom where it sits on the front facia it looks like a wave. Some places its touching the front facia and other places its about 1/2" higher. Looks horrible.

yah, i posted about it in the hood scoop thread, annoying. my car developed it last summer when the heat hit the bumper (black car)

although now i cant upload pictures, maybe i'm blocked (probably dont want to hear about it), just go to the hood scoop thread and search

should be no problem to have it replaced with the new one under warranty, other than the typical dealer screw ups

This is a Ford issue and many Mustangs, including my 05 GT' had the same issue, and no they will not cover it even on the Ford warranty. At least that's what I was told and what threads on other Mustang sites seem to suggest.

-jeff

This is a Ford issue and many Mustangs, including my 05 GT' had the same issue, and no they will not cover it even on the Ford warranty. At least that's what I was told and what threads on other Mustang sites seem to suggest.

-jeff

that could be your experience, but i dont expect that to be true in all cases, it clearly is a covered part that is defective. thats how warrranty works

mine will be addressed one way or the other when spring gets here

that could be your experience, but i dont expect that to be true in all cases, it clearly is a covered part that is defective. thats how warrranty works

mine will be addressed one way or the other when spring gets here

LOL...I'm just telling you what i was told and what i see all over the other Mustang enthusiast forums. I hope your mileage is different just letting you know it's not an SAI issue but a Ford issue and has been since the 2005 model year. If you work out a way to get Ford to replace it tell us all though it's just going to be the same part again.

Ill mention it to my dealer next time I go in. Im curious to see what they say. But if they replace it with the same item it may just be best to get the above billet grille housing and replace it myself.

look at it this way, it is a Ford part that was cut up by Shelby to make their insert fit. Ford probably washed their hands of the part when Shelby cut it up. who knows if the part has changed. a Ford engr. can tell you if the part has changed (sometimes the part is revised with just a suffix change, sometimes a new part number). other forums have all kinds of comments, some are people that have bought cars that are out of warranty (or used). sometimes not relevant really.

Shelby most likely will just provide a 2008 surround appears to be a better part. dont give up. i plan to call shelby direct and email some pictures. the dealers will tell you anything. most dont know as much as we do.

I would add the picture, but it says "check with the administrator" . maybe i'm blocked :censored::censored:

I probably would get in touch with the district rep as a first step on that. Mine looks obviously bad, warped.

I guess I am surprised you had trouble. I have probably bought 10 or more cars and trucks new over the last 10 years, never really had to fight for much under warranty.

I have tried to get mine replaced by Ford and Shelby. Both has said no to me. :banghead:

The grill in my car did the same thing. I assume it was caused by the car sitting out in Las Vegas during the summer heat. My dealer replaced the grill via Ford warranty without any questions. The technicians had some challenges getting the swap made but it looks perfect now. They felt the grill had upward pressure on it which caused the plastic to warp in the center. They did not consider it a Shelby issue.

The grill in my car did the same thing. I assume it was caused by the car sitting out in Las Vegas during the summer heat. My dealer replaced the grill via Ford warranty without any questions. The technicians had some challenges getting the swap made but it looks perfect now. They felt the grill had upward pressure on it which caused the plastic to warp in the center. They did not consider it a Shelby issue.

thanks for the comment. thats pretty much what I thought. My car sat out for a while in Nevada too, built in Jan 2007, didnt get to the dealer for a few months. The bumper looks like a reflector especially in black.

I think most of them turn out alright, I have looked a quite a few older mustangs, most look pretty good. as I mentioned earlier, lots of time plastic molds get changed to improve part durability either with or without a part number change, so often the replacement part is better than the old one.

thanks again

I have had that problem...last time I was at the dealership having oil changed I pointed it out to the service tech. He said that he could and would fix it no problem---but I had to leave it with him for the day. I couldn't do it that day as I had a full schedule, but plan on having it fixed next time I am in.

how do you find out when your car was built at ford and shelby?? :wacko:

thanks GTjonnyR

just saw this. the ford build date is on the tag in the door jam, and on the invoice

mine happened to be early january 2007 build, then it shows 15 days shipping to shelby (dont know if that is true) and then the dealer added it into stock on march 30 2007. they told me when it was sent from shelby, but i cant find that written anywhere now. they must have turned it around at shelby pretty quickly. i noticed that some of the folks had cars sit at shelby quite a while. i think shelby will provide the info (i have never asked). someone else on here will know more than me about this. I think John used to provide some of this info.

ok so looking on the door will tell me the date? sounds good

thanks ;):banvictory:

actually the drivers door jam, but only shows the month. i think the invoice is probably better. others will probably speak up here with better info. mine is just what i figured out from looking. some may have a better way.

-jeff

I had the same issue with my SGT. I took it to my Ford Dealership and they replaced it. It is under warranty.

I had the same issue with my SGT. I took it to my Ford Dealership and they replaced it. It is under warranty.

did the dealership modify a stock part, or did they get one from shelby? i think all of the 2007 models used the stock part that was cut to fit their grille insert. the 2008 has a specific shelby part (I think)

not sure my dealer can handle this

thanks

did the dealership modify a stock part, or did they get one from shelby? i think all of the 2007 models used the stock part that was cut to fit their grille insert. the 2008 has a specific shelby part (I think)

not sure my dealer can handle this

thanks

My dealership modified a stock Ford grill. The technician did a good job but said it would be a lot earier the second time around. They indicated they would cut up another one if I was not happy with how it came out. I am very satisfied with the job he did. It is my understanding that the 08 grills are a specific Shelby part and are not modified stock grills.

I have the warped grill housing issue. Is the 2008 grill housing (mentioned in the first post) the warranty fix?

I would think so. It seems a lot easier to install the 2008 shelby grille surround than order a 2007 and cut it up.

It looks like one of the other guys here had the dealership fix a 2007 using a 2007 GT grille and cutting it to fit like shelby did. I am not sure all dealerships are that talented, he is lucky.

Would be nice to get a ruling on that so its not another issue to argue with them about. Way too much customer negotiation for me, should be handled way better.

so much for customer service.

I would think so. It seems a lot easier to install the 2008 shelby grille surround than order a 2007 and cut it up.

It looks like one of the other guys here had the dealership fix a 2007 using a 2007 GT grille and cutting it to fit like shelby did. I am not sure all dealerships are that talented, he is lucky.

Would be nice to get a ruling on that so its not another issue to argue with them about. Way too much customer negotiation for me, should be handled way better.

so much for customer service.

Maybe I'll swing into the local dealer and check on prices anyway. I would prefer a piece that was MADE TO FIT instead of "cut to fit"!

SEF

AKA:

Maybe I'll swing into the local dealer and check on prices anyway. I would prefer a piece that was MADE TO FIT instead of "cut to fit"!

SEF

AKA:

It is about $100 in the Winter Shelby Performance Catalog. Maybe $105. I don't know if you will be able to get it elswhere. The 2007 cut up grill and 2008 grill housing are not a Ford production.

It is about $100 in the Winter Shelby Performance Catalog. Maybe $105. I don't know if you will be able to get it elswhere. The 2007 cut up grill and 2008 grill housing are not a Ford production.

It looks like you will have to pay $219.95 to get the complete kit, so you won't have to use your hacked GT grille.

SHELBY BILLET GRILLE ASSEMBLY

Includes custom made plastic housing

that was made for the 2008 Shelby-

GT’s. This greatly simplifi es installation

and has a factory appearance from

both front and back when installed.

Only Fits GT Mustangs and Shelby GT

Mustangs. Will not fi t V6 or GT500.

Description Part Number Price

FULL ASSEMBLY 8S3Z8200KIT $219.95

OUTER HOUSING ONLY 8S3Z8200H $104.95

It looks like you will have to pay $219.95 to get the complete kit, so you won't have to use your hacked GT grille.

SHELBY BILLET GRILLE ASSEMBLY

Includes custom made plastic housing

that was made for the 2008 Shelby-

GT’s. This greatly simplifi es installation

and has a factory appearance from

both front and back when installed.

Only Fits GT Mustangs and Shelby GT

Mustangs. Will not fi t V6 or GT500.

Description Part Number Price

FULL ASSEMBLY 8S3Z8200KIT $219.95

OUTER HOUSING ONLY 8S3Z8200H $104.95

Unless you have a problem with your billet grill you only need the housing, $104.95. It was designed to work with the 2007 grill. So keith at SPP told me.

Unless you have a problem with your billet grill you only need the housing, $104.95. It was designed to work with the 2007 grill. So keith at SPP told me.

I believe that you are correct, however, my grille is toast, so I will need the complete kit.

Archived