TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 GT500 26 lb crank pulley

COBRA CRUIZER

Has anyone with a 2007 Shelby GT 500 replaced their 26 lb crankpulley to a lighter one? And if so have you experienced any changes..Besides a lighter wallet of course.

She's a heavy one thats for sure! Waiting for my Innovators West pulley fron Evolution to come. I would have to think it would have a positive effect just by the weight reduction alone but won't know until spring unfortunately too much salt on the roads!

There was no change in the crankshaft. The reason they changed it is to reduce the stress on the keyway . They found with cars running more boost or using aftermarket blowers there was an increase in harmonics (vibrations) causing an inceased risk of wear on both the keyway and the blower snout. That's why they lightened the balancer and strengthened the snout on the SC (extra ribs).

For cars that remain in stock trim there is no problem or risk at all.

Does anyone know, can you switch to the 08 balancer and maintain your 07 warranty?

Before I up the boost, I know I am def going to swap to some type of a lighter balancer for peace of mind.

Quite frankly, I really want to swap to the 08 balancer now and just get it over with, but not willing to void my warranty. It seems that the balancer can not be swapped on and off like I can my Evo Stage 1.

There was no change in the crankshaft. The reason they changed it is to reduce the stress on the keyway . They found with cars running more boost or using aftermarket blowers there was an increase in harmonics (vibrations) causing an inceased risk of wear on both the keyway and the blower snout. That's why they lightened the balancer and strengthened the snout on the SC (extra ribs).

For cars that remain in stock trim there is no problem or risk at all.

Makes sense because if its going to break with added stress th e keyway is the weakest point.

Has anyone with a 2007 Shelby GT 500 replaced their 26 lb crankpulley to a lighter one? And if so have you experienced any changes..Besides a lighter wallet of course.

I have installed the 08 pulley about 8 weeks ago and really I cannot tell a different by feel and I would expect none on the dyno. I will agree with less stress on the crank and keyway, not sure how much damage due to the Kenny Bell added boost if any, with added boost she will spin faster, how much? Now coming off the line at 3000rpm+/- and almost stalling the engine is a whole new ball game, then spinning her back up as fast as you can shift, that could sheer off a key, that alone is why I change mind out.

In theory less rotating mass, will add a little HP and should spin up quicker and I also have an aluminum fly wheel so with the two who knows, I don't. But again with less rotating mass the less torque, other wise it is easier to stop spinning something weighting less, the more mass spinning the more resistance to stop all at once. Now with this knowledge we all may be a little less smarter, not sure, but this is how it plays out in my mind. Bill

What is our stock flywheel made of?

When you ask this question, I knew it was 22 pounds of steel and most likely, and maybe rubber inside to help damping the drive system for the belts for less shock, there for less stretching. So I waited till I could look again at my old one, well I still not sure, It looks to be at least a two piece, but still don't know. I did weight it again and it did weight 22 pounds, sorry Justin. But I thought you deserved some sort of answer. Bill

Hey Blayne, the 08 is a one piece, theres the cost saving and solves a possible problem, hope it doesn't create a new one. Bill

When you ask this question, I knew it was 22 pounds of steel and most likely, and maybe rubber inside to help damping the drive system for the belts for less shock, there for less stretching. So I waited till I could look again at my old one, well I still not sure, It looks to be at least a two piece, but still don't know. I did weight it again and it did weight 22 pounds, sorry Justin. But I thought you deserved some sort of answer. Bill

Hey Blayne, the 08 is a one piece, theres the cost saving and solves a possible problem, hope it doesn't create a new one. Bill

I'm not worried Bill, it's all good. Kinda like trying to be in two places at once I guess? It sure is fun learning and hard to learn if you don't try new things. I'm in a holding pattern until my 71 comes home and have learned about being more patient, sometimes I forget that patients is a virtue and make a real ars out of myself, and sometimes I just make an ars out of myself without even trying. Oh well.

Blayne

Archived