TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rubbing salt in the wound of a local dealer...

DubbsFaris

Last summer I went down to a local dealer that had a white/ blue stripe coupe that I was checking out when a salesperson walked up. (more like left a drool trail from his office to me). :dog: I asked what they were willing to sell it for, cuz for some reason, the sticker had a 20k ADM, and this was an 07 after the 08 had already been shipping. :do what: He told me that they wouldnt come down at all, and some yahoo down the street bought the last one at that price and would probably buy this one at that price. I told him I really wanted a vert, and he (Im not making this up) looked at me and his head rolled back and a cackle came out of his mouth. He told me that there wasn't a snowball's chance in the Alamo- yeah he said that too- that I would ever find a vert. :stirpot: They simply are way too rare. I asked again- so you cant get one, and he said no.

Fast forward to last week- I had a to take my parents' red stripe vert to have the window adjusted (it wouldn't close all the way, but it wasnt a programming issue from pg 67 of the manual Joe :hysterical: :car:

I decided to show it off a bit since this dealer is right down the road. So I idled into the parking lot and made sure I drove slow enough to get noticed, and pulled into the service staging area. :bowdown:

These guys were sitting in service looking out the window at my car like I just drove up in the space shuttle. :lurk: One guy walks out and we talk for a minute about my problem, and this other guy walks over nd says nice car, they didnt make many of these. I agreed, and said yeah, in fact I had to call someone in Perry, GA just to order this one. He bragged about just getting an 08 in Blue w/ white stripes coupe. I replied, really, cuz I came in here last summer and tried to buy this one from yall, and your sales guy literally laughed me out of the showroom and told me I couldnt order one the way I wanted. :poke: Then I added, you can imagine what I had to pay to have this one all the way from GA. (not that I did, but this was the setup) He turned and walked back into the front door without saying a word. :devil2:

The service guy turns to me and says- man, I would hate to be in there right now...I said why is that? He replied, that man is the owner of the dealership, and he has been trying to get these GT500s sold, since we still have one left to order, but we have to sell this one first. :fan:

I hated that they were asking such a ridiculous amount over msrp, and I wouldnt have paid 20k over, but I paid an ADM on both cars, and this dealer missed the money train. He could have sold us both if they made a reasonable attempt to sell before I started checking around, who knows, I probably would have paid 15k over before I got educated on our forum. I didnt know what the going rate was. You know, what really chapped me was the fact that the salesman didnt take me serious. I didnt walk in in cutoffs and I am not 20 years old and ask for a test drive. I drove up in a nice car and walked straight to the GT500. A good sales person would have had me driving away in that coupe or at least had me order mine through them.

Doesn't it feel good to have what you really want? And I am really happy to have dealt with MM instead of these people. :party2:

I did the same thing when I got the 03 Cobra. They were asking $10K over when they firsty came out, towards the end of the 03 MY and dealers still had a bunch of them on their lots the bottom fell out. Ford even rebated them! Short story, long, I got the 03 for under invoice before the rebate. Just had to drive it to the first dealer I talked to who insisted there was no way I would get one under MSRP. Showed the sales man the paper work and told him to let the sales manager know he could have sold me one for MSRP if he wasn't so..........

I'm looking forward to the same thing as well. The dealer that I take my current Mustang to for service had a used 07 Blue w/White coupe with 1200 miles that he wanted $52K for. Told him wasn't paying over MSRP for a used car. Told me they bought it at auction from a foreign car dealer for over MSRP - told him not my problem.

They had a White w/Blue coupe in the showroom for $15 over. I rather have blue, so what about ordering a 2008? $20K over. Dealer didn't budge at all. Later talked to someone else who I've been dealing with at the dealership and she said it was definitely $15K, not $20K, don't know where the other guy got that figure. Yes, are confident to get the $52K for the used car. I said I can order one for lower than that but she didn't believe me.

I do have an order in for less than that - Can't wait to drive in for regular service and find that dealer again! :hysterical:

I have already done that at 3 dealers who wanted ADM's.......in every case the salesmen has blamed the dealer who sold me the car for MSRP saying that "they must be desperate", "they don't know what they are doing", "they left money on the table"........point is, most dealers were way too slow to realize that we were already on MSRP-land, not ADM-land......and soon, discount-land....then I will order my vert in negative (white with red stripes).

My car had the coolant leak right away. So, I had the chance to go t the local dealer to buy the coolant. They turned me away to sell to someone out of state that they will never see again. Well, other than the trip to buy something cheap (like coolant), they will never see me again either. The whole sales staff was watching me pull slowly through to the parts dept. He He!

MY local dealer told me that 15K over would be on the LOW end, when all was said and done. I ordered my 08 Vapor coupe exactly how i wanted it, for MSRP from a dealer 400 miles away. Best part is, I didn't even have to drive to the dealership to let them know about it. The GM lives next door!

MY local dealer told me that 15K over would be on the LOW end, when all was said and done. I ordered my 08 Vapor coupe exactly how i wanted it, for MSRP from a dealer 400 miles away. Best part is, I didn't even have to drive to the dealership to let them know about it. The GM lives next door!

Doesnt get much sweeter than that!! :hysterical2:

Mines a bit different. I ordered an 07 at MSRP. The sales person was great but the owner pulled the rug from underneath me. Well, he sold the dealership and they received an extra allocation. My sales person went to the new owner and they gave that car to me at MSRP.

Great stories!

With me being 22 at the time and straight out of college, no one would even out of their chair to come talk to me. I had to approach them and even then I got the lines "oh they are 15 over" or "20 over and we wont budge because we can't keep these on the lots", "others are selling the for 25", etc. And to get them to find or order the one I wanted.... I had a better chance getting hit by a GT500. "We don't trade. We are lucky to get what we have and we have no say in what we get." Well I made a call to a dealer 75 miles away in Hartville OH, they didn't have the one I wanted, but they found one and gave it to me for less than 10. And as I cruise by the other dealers lots, weeks later they still had the same "hot" items sitting in the front window.

I probably could have got my dealership to come down some more, but there's something to be said about running a respectable business. And if you take care of me, I'll take care of you.

I love these stories!

I hope those guys choke on thier left-overs.

Local dealer wanted $26k ADM on a cash sale !!

So...I Traveled 2800 miles round trip to MO. and "saved" $15k

First stop on the way home with the trailer was the local dealer

just to show him I was serious when I said I would go elsewhere.

The look on his face was suitable for framing.

But, They don't seem to learn from mistakes.

Same dealership wants $20k over on an 08 coupe sitting on the lot.

Some dealers put high adm's on their cars to keep them on the floor to draw traffic into the building where the sales staff can hopefully sell them a car of some kind. They really don't intend to sell the GT500, but if someone wants to give them their $20k over, they'll sell it. To the dealer they expect to get $20k profit in the sales of other cars that they sold because of the draw of having a GT500 on the showroom floor.

Very similar stories on the GT having $100+k ADM - no intent on selling, just a magnet to draw people into the dealership.

I love these stories!

I hope those guys choke on thier left-overs.

Local dealer wanted $26k ADM on a cash sale !!

So...I Traveled 2800 miles round trip to MO. and "saved" $15k

First stop on the way home with the trailer was the local dealer

just to show him I was serious when I said I would go elsewhere.

The look on his face was suitable for framing.

But, They don't seem to learn from mistakes.

Same dealership wants $20k over on an 08 coupe sitting on the lot.

Dealer wanted $26K ADM

You went 2800 miles and saved $15K

So you traveled with a trailer 2800 miles for $11K ADM????

Love these stories. The car I originally ordered ( the one that fell through) was going to be courtesy shipped to my local dealer. I was so looking forward to picking up my Shelby there. This is the dealer that I had bought 4 new cars from in as many years (2 in one day) with 2 of the 4 being mustangs; a cobra vert and a GT. They wanted 20K over from the beginning and wouldn't budge. Three days after my original car fell through, I was on my way to Kentucky to pick up the 08 vert I have now. Needless to say, the first place I went in my Shelby the morning after I got home was to the dealership to show it off. I had an excuse to show up there as I'm friends with the finance manager. It's amazing, here I was at a Ford Dealership and just about everyone that worked there came out to look at the car. It was a great feeling!

After the GT500 debuted at the NY Autoshow, I went around to local Indianapolis dealers to see if I could get on a list. They said to check back later which was fair since they weren't making lists then. Fine! One dealer said that they will likely be $5k over but not more. After the 2006 Barrett-Jackson auction, I went around again to get on a list. Now they were saying AT LEAST $20k over. My hopes dimmed, but I decided to call a small dealer 700miles away were I grew up. My motivation was that the market there would be small and hopefully nobody approached them yet. It worked! In fact, they didn't even know the details about this car at all. With the help of a couple people on this forum (5OhB & Coldwaterhotrod) I was able to instruct the dealer on how to get certified. We worked out an MSRP deal in writing. The dealer stuck to it even when they learned what other dealers were getting. In the year that I had to wait, I went around to local dealers to see their inventory. They practically laughed me out of the showroom when I walked in to talk about it. They said at least $25K markup. I said "Huh, really? I got one for MSRP in New York!" The look in their eyes was priceless... :hysterical::hysterical: I walked out with a huge sh :censored: -eating grin.

Some time around Febuary or April 07 My old dealer had a gt500 I really liked it and made him an offer, He laughed and said he could sell it for 100,000. wouldn't even talk to me so I walked out.

A while back, I took my daughter for a ride in the GT, just to gets some fun miles in, she said she wanted an Eleanor. I took her to the same local dealers to see if they had any Shelby GT’s or nice GT’s to see if she was interested.

They showed us what they had at the end we saw a GT500 convertible they wanted 86,599 plus tax and license and offered a 3,000 rebate. I laughed at him this time and said you see the black one in the parking lot? He responded, is that yours,

I said yep and it didn’t cost any where near 86,599.

He just walked away knowing I would never buy anything from them again. We walked out of there, and I could not have felt better if I tried.

How sweet it is.

Dealer wanted $26K ADM

You went 2800 miles and saved $15K

So you traveled with a trailer 2800 miles for $11K ADM????

Yes I did.

I have this affliction called lackofpatienceitis.

No known cure.

It was late Dec 06 and around here any ADM less than 20k was a bargain.

Yeah, I could have waited a year or so and hope the ADM's would subside.

But I have missed out on opportunities before and have since suffered from it's effects.

I got the car in the color I wanted.

No regrets. :)

Yes I did.

I have this affliction called lackofpatienceitis.

No known cure.

It was late Dec 06 and around here any ADM less than 20k was a bargain.

Yeah, I could have waited a year or so and hope the ADM's would subside.

But I have missed out on opportunities before and have since suffered from it's effects.

I got the car in the color I wanted.

No regrets. :)

Good answer!

I paid $5,000 over, but ordered it just like I wanted. I simply couldn't find a better deal at the time. I could have gotten an MSRP deal (I think) on one already built and on the lot, but there was always something missing. Not my first choice of color, no premium interior, etc...

For a car I seriously intend to own forever, it was a small price to pay to have exactly like I wanted.

At times, I've suffered from that affliction, too.

Buying the Shelby with a limit of MSRP taught me a tremendous amount of patience. I have been working on it since 2003. Did not get it until Aug 2007. 4 years and at least 20 " i think I'll go ahead and buy this Roush or SGT or Mustang GT and mod it" decisions later. I was at the end of my rope many, many times with this car. The wait and stress were worth it in the end.

I don't mind if the dealer was charging ADM's but it was the ones that treated me like crap that I hope they get what they deserve!

+1 exactly my thoughts on the issue...I paid more of a ADM than most here with my eyes wide open...8k on mine...but like you, I ordered it the way I wanted! They wanted 10k over, but I financed and only got approved for msrp plus 8k with a 12k down payment. I figured if I got financing through Ford they would do whatever to help me...sure enuff, and then I just cut a check to Ford and paid it off before the first payment...saved some good money that way, though I thought I may have had to finance a good chunk of the price and things just went right for me in the end.

Buying the Shelby with a limit of MSRP taught me a tremendous amount of patience. I have been working on it since 2003. Did not get it until Aug 2007. 4 years and at least 20 " i think I'll go ahead and buy this Roush or SGT or Mustang GT and mod it" decisions later. I was at the end of my rope many, many times with this car. The wait and stress were worth it in the end.

You sound like me, as soon as this car came out, I knew I would own one. But it would be on my terms, not the dealers. Patience is everything. I knew what the car was worth to me and held out. I tracked inventory of ~every dealer within 200 miles and checked ebay every day. Eventually I got what I wanted - 2008 GT500 with everything but nav and 1000 and paid $1410. UNDER msrp!

Oh yeah, and checked this forum 2-3 times a day as well!! Big time invaluable resource.

haha

I love it

Been there done that

I love going back to dealers that would not order or sell me a car for any price really.

One dealer near me, I told them I would give them my 99 cobra if they sell me one for sticker which is really paying a 12k adm which is what I sold my car for.

Well I made sure to drive back with my car now and say "look at this, would you believe it, some dealer sold this to me for 10k over" hahah

He still had the same one available but now with only a 5k markup

Sorry Shelbydude, BUT I HATE DEALERS AND THE PEOPLE THAT WORK THERE!

chuckstang your ier is miss placed. Every sales man I have done business with is hard working doing what they love. The boss sets the rules and as we all know if the boss ain't happy no one else is. Hate the dealer but that poor sales guy is just a working stiff like you and I. My approach to the car sales thing is a game. It is their job to seperate as much long green from my pocket as possible, it is my job to minimize the damages! They have a product I want (not need) and I tell them I don't mind helping with the rent but I am not going to send their kids to college! You do have the option of walking away.

When you walk into a dealership with your tounge hanging out and your nipples rock hard they will see the $$ signs. We created the market as it is and we have to live with what it has become.

When you walk into a dealership with your tounge hanging out and your nipples rock hard they will see the $$ signs. We created the market as it is and we have to live with what it has become.

:hysterical2:

We usually pay a lot more for such things...

girljiggle.gif

Archived