TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car Buying Advice

RUFDRAFT

Brian you have been given alot of good advice. You basically have 3 cars to choose from. Toyota Camry or a Toyota Camry or a Toyota Camry. (I prefer the 4 cylinder one) There is a reason the Camry continues to be at the top if not on top of consumer reports year after year even with style and body changes. Also the #1 exported vehicle (used) A good friend of mine is a Toyota mechanic at the Toyota dealership, I have seen him rebuild 12 cyl Jags, race 25 years on the SCCA circut and win consistantly (point is there are not many better import mechanics) He drives a Camry, I sold my Regal T Turbo car to buy a Shelby, bought a Camry as a driver until then. My daughter drives a Camry. I have been selling cars for 25 years and personnally licensed for 10 years and also the one who has to fix what ever I buy and also the one who has to hear from a unhappy customer. The Camry consistantly has fewer probloms (used) than any other car I buy. Do a car fax, take it to a mechanic first. DID I SAY TAKE IT TO A MECHANIC FIRST ?and service it ASAP including All hoses and belts.(the #1 failure of used vehicles) If you get one from the auction make sure it has no negitive announcments at the block when it sells and stay with a green light represented vehicle and pay for a post sale inspection ($85.00) If you buy new enough at the auction you can still get factory warrenty provided the vehicle qualifies. good luck

RUFDRAFT keep calm, we are not trying to scare you we just want you to know not all the dealers out there are honest, we have to look out for you, you are one of us now a certified GT500 NUT . In any event everyone has given you GREAT ADVICE . There are ways to verify if the digital readout on the odometer was messed around with but most dealers dont have the expensive electronic devices to check the ecm which is the cars electronic control module or plainly put the vehicles computer. I wouldnt get very worried about it today if dealers are caught tampering with mileage they risk heavy fines, and possible jail time ,losing there dealer liscences etc,etc . The carfax usually will detect a problem.If the car has a low clock on it meaning low miles and things are worn door hinges,door handles driver side floormat and or carpeting turn signal, switches, and common things just take time to look over the vehicle it wouldnt hurt to have someone else with you to look the vehicle over . One more thing the car fax will tell you where the car was from or spent most of its life some states have very bad winters where they use very corrosive rock salt which prematurely rusts the undercarriage, exhaust, and suspension componets which can lead to expensive repairs later on. Depending on how old the vehicle is regular surface rust is normal stay away from vehicles with very rusty undercarriages. One more tell tale sign of a dealer hiding something is fresh shiny black undercoating spray. Some vehicles are undercoated new which is fine so if you see the undercarriage having a dull back coating its usually ok and probaly was applied when the vehicle was new. The undercoating spray is actually like tar and gets dull with age. Also look for body panel fit & finish make shure all the gaps are all generally even with eachother ex doors,hood,trunk etc. SORRY TO WRIGHT SO MUCH JUST TRYING TO HELP, GOOD LUCK AGAIN. :rockon:

STS - and everyone else - graci.

A lot of us are enthusiasts - but few of us are "in the business."

It's very unfortunate that the car selling buisness has such a lousy rep.

I'm not sure if there's an anitidote. Commission sales lends itself to abuse.

Most buyers, I'm sure, are like me. They expect for a dealer to make a profit. They also expect honesty.

Sadly, those two terms may be mutually exclusive.

So - thanks to those members who have helped me become better informed.

Buying a car has become a very stressful deal.

I appreciate all the time y'all have spent typing your replies.

Let me know if I can help your kids with their research papers. :shift:

Dave & Patrick - thanks.

This won't be an easy one.

So many choices.

Thankfully - she's not in the crowd that worries about how much something costs.

She said she'd be happy with anything we suggest.

Now That's worth a lot. :shift:

Archived