TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car Buying Advice

RUFDRAFT

This isn't a Mustang question, but I figured that many of y'all have more experience with this than I do.

My daughter turns 16 soon (just adopted her! :cheerleader:) and I'm looking for a first car for her.

The budget is about $10k.

I haven't been keeping up with the economy class cars for a while, so I thought I'd see if any of you have any recommendations.

MPG - reliable - SLOW - and parts/service availability are concerns.

It wouldn't hurt if it looked "cool." I remember being that age.

I've been thinking about PT Cruisers - Civics - Corollas (not cool?).

If you can help - thanks.

Bryan :shift:

This isn't a Mustang question, but I figured that many of y'all have more experience with this than I do.

My daughter turns 16 soon (just adopted her! :cheerleader:) and I'm looking for a first car for her.

I haven't been keeping up with the economy class cars for a while, so I thought I'd see if any of you have any recommendations.

We just rented a PT Cruiser for a vacation. Definitely slow, and a bit cool. Ride quality stinks, but who cares for a teen. Very roomy and practical. Quality is poor, check Consumer Reports. On ours, turn the A/C on and the car rattled like a nervous squirrel during an earthqauke.

I've personally owned many Civics and Corollas. Both extremely high quality cars, great gas mileage. The Corolla is a bit more refined. Major problem with them is brakes...not as robust as US cars...they wear faster and make noise...but it's not a safety issue.

For $10k, you should be able to get something really nice.

P.S. I used to be an auto mechanic...so I have first hand experience with the quality of the Civics/Corollas...very reliable/durable cars.

thanks, Dave.

I like the PT's looks!

I'm just a weensy bit worried about reliability with them.

This car won't be under warranty - and repairs today can get crazy.

I'd like her to have something - cool, though! :bandance:

Jet - You're egging me on to spend more than I can!

A neighbor of mine has one - and they're nice looking.

But I think they're about $17k?

This is a first car - so I want to get her something wherein when she backs into a tree, I won't go ballistic! :hysterical:

Here's a different angle:

Get her a regular cab pick-up (Ford of course). The late 2004 - present body style is extremely safe in frontal collisions (www.iihs.org) . And, here's the other safety issue, being a regular cab truck limits the number of passengers she can carry which limits the number of distractions facing a new driver. An F-150 may not be the coolest ride, and doesn't get the greatest gas mileage, but I think safety should be the overriding concern with a new driver.

IMHO there are only 3 elements that should matter to you. "Cool" isn't one of them.

1. Crashworthiness. Read the reports. Safety Admin has them, but consumer reports is a better overall source. Go thru all their data including repair history. Pick a few.

2. Once you've picked 5 or 6, talk to your insurance agent. That'll narrow it down a little more.

3. Fuel efficiency. I'll assume she's paying for her own gas. Let her fill up the family truckster a few times and let her see how it feels. She'll then help you narrow it down even more.

On top of that....and it's your family and your dime but let me just toss out a couple of those from someone who's been there-done that........

In our family, the kids bought their own cars with their own dough, based on the aforementioned criteria.

They had to have 1/2 down and we (parents) financed the rest. THEY made the payments.

WE paid the insurance as long as a 3.5 gpa was maintained. From 3.0-3.5, THEY had to pay. Less than 3.0 and no insurance/no car. These things are a priveledge, not a right. Good grades will get you better insurance rates, but more importantly it underscored the importance of balance. I've seen grades go to hell when the ability to be more mobile came into play.

Absolutely NO more than one teen in the car with them at any time. Break the rule, lose the ride til you're out of school.

Absolutely NO cell phone use while in motion. Break the rule, lose the ride.

iPod in the car? Not if you'd like to have the keys. They are not allowed to even take one with them.

There ya go. Before I decided that crash scenes weren't much fun, I was a state trooper, then sherriff's deputy for a few years. I've seen it all. And it generally all happened out of a lack of respect for the machine; lack of situational awareness; and mentally not making that leap from being a *&^%ing goofy kid to being someone at the helm of a powerful, potentially dangerous machine.

I hope I've scared the hell out of you. You're child may live longer because of it.

All the best-

bj

Go with the Corolla you won`t have to worry about it not being dependable.

You get great gas mileage & what you save on gas you put it in the Shelby

Shelby 001

My $0.02

RUFDRAFT, I know you recently had to step away from your GT500 deal. But things may change, so go back to the dealer that your GT500 deal was pending. And see if they have any prowned 05 plain jane V-6 Mustangs forsale. This will give you a bit of leverage if you choose to buy a GT500 later down the line by being a repeat customer.

The dealer I am buying my GT500 from is giving me a MSRP deal because he would rather have me as a repeat customer. And he knows that I plan on buying the wife a GT Mustang next summer. And the son will get a Mustang GT in 3 years when he turns 16. Customer loyalty does matter to some dealership owners, and after seeing and hearing what dealers are doing to people with the GT500's. I feel very lucky.

Bryan, look at the 2003 and newer Ford Focus. 5 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty from Ford on all 2003-2007's. Cheap to buy, fairly reliable, decent crash test results, good gas mileage, and most are decently equipped (look for an SE or SES model, stay away from stripped down LX or S models). Focus is available as a 3-door hatchback, 5-door hatchback, 5-door wagon, or 4-door sedan.

And the son will get a Mustang GT in 3 years when he turns 16

That would scare me. I hope he's super responsible.

My daughter turns 16 soon (just adopted her! :cheerleader:) and I'm looking for a first car for

your right, its not a mustang question. If you think your daughter needs a car, then look into some form of mustang.

Since you raised the subject: If it looks COOL it could hurt. I personally have not and will not buy my kids a car. The occasional drive not withstanding is already running a huge risk. Not a question of one being paronoid, the risks aren't worth it. I would have a hard time if my kids worked, saved and had the money to insure their own car at 16, 17 or 18 for that matter. My values and beliefs are mine and mine alone but unless I was born and raised in zip 90210 a car at 16 for my kid's = forget about it

my $ .02

Whew - thanks to all for the advice.

This is gonna be a tough choice.

Regardless of the car - I like VNMOUS's ideas on criteria to keep the ride!

:shift:

My new step daughter thinks I'm a real :censored:

Welcome to the land of responsibilities. I told her to watch Pinks. Lose the race, lose your ride. Same principle. Don't break the rules and you're mobile. Break them and you're walkin'.

bj

IMHO there are only 3 elements that should matter to you. "Cool" isn't one of them.

1. Crashworthiness. Read the reports. Safety Admin has them, but consumer reports is a better overall source. Go thru all their data including repair history. Pick a few.

2. Once you've picked 5 or 6, talk to your insurance agent. That'll narrow it down a little more.

3. Fuel efficiency. I'll assume she's paying for her own gas. Let her fill up the family truckster a few times and let her see how it feels. She'll then help you narrow it down even more.

On top of that....and it's your family and your dime but let me just toss out a couple of those from someone who's been there-done that........

In our family, the kids bought their own cars with their own dough, based on the aforementioned criteria.

They had to have 1/2 down and we (parents) financed the rest. THEY made the payments.

WE paid the insurance as long as a 3.5 gpa was maintained. From 3.0-3.5, THEY had to pay. Less than 3.0 and no insurance/no car. These things are a priveledge, not a right. Good grades will get you better insurance rates, but more importantly it underscored the importance of balance. I've seen grades go to hell when the ability to be more mobile came into play.

Absolutely NO more than one teen in the car with them at any time. Break the rule, lose the ride til you're out of school.

Absolutely NO cell phone use while in motion. Break the rule, lose the ride.

iPod in the car? Not if you'd like to have the keys. They are not allowed to even take one with them.

There ya go. Before I decided that crash scenes weren't much fun, I was a state trooper, then sherriff's deputy for a few years. I've seen it all. And it generally all happened out of a lack of respect for the machine; lack of situational awareness; and mentally not making that leap from being a *&^%ing goofy kid to being someone at the helm of a powerful, potentially dangerous machine.

I hope I've scared the hell out of you. You're child may live longer because of it.

All the best-

bj

No mames... estas abueleando cabron!... pobres de tus hijos y tu familia... tu deja que choquen y hagan lo que quieran... pareces un amargado... por eso me cagan los cuicos americanos bola de ojetes sin vida... te doy un dolar, consiguete una vida y me regresas el cambio... tas mal compadre... :happy feet:

No mames... estas abueleando cabron!... pobres de tus hijos y tu familia... tu deja que choquen y hagan lo que quieran... pareces un amargado... por eso me cagan los cuicos americanos bola de ojetes sin vida... te doy un dolar, consiguete una vida y me regresas el cambio... tas mal compadre... :happy feet:

It's a Shelby site !

Whats with the Spanish?

Is it that you cannot write in english or do you think your impressing us?

Let's keep it fun but on topic, next Rufdraft will want to know what our spouse bust size is or some other ridiculous topic. KEEP IT REAL!

Bryan

¿Why not a used V6 Mustang?

JB

I thought about that, Jesse.

My insurance man killed that idea.

Even 6packs have a high number.

I'm thinking small truck - Ranger maybe.

Still has frame rails - and would get a bit better mpg than an F150.

Limits how many can ride along.

Durable.

And - we could use a truck. I put a hitch on the wife's Volvo wagon to pull the utility trailer - but the Ranger could pull more weight - and I wouldn't have to hitch up the Volvo for trips to Lowe's (where my paycheck is direct deposited - they send me any remaining balance every month). :hysterical:

VNMOUS - (sp?) - I've seen my share of wrecks, too. Twenty years of over-the-road truck driving. I drove over 1,300,000 miles - no accidents - no wrecks (in cars or trucks) - a few speeding tickets (unavoidable). My little girl is going to learn all about defensive driving. :shift:

Just read the post above! Ha.

Okay - how about giving bra sizes - and waist sizes? :happy feet: :hysterical:

Pics would help, too. :baby:

I want you all to be aware of how much fun I'm having on this site. I laugh my azz off every day. And - I need to laugh more. Things at the casa are stressful right now. You guys rock. :bandance:

RUFDRAFT,

Come on we are all here to help you arent we? thats why we always get urs ass kicked in the office... LOL (not if ure the boss!) anyway... u know ur daughter better than us... what kinda car do u think she deserves?... :shrug:

About stressfull things, you cant be that bad, in my case, changing to new offices, the next 3 months are low sales, i dont have a shelby, I had to broke with my fiance, so wedding is off, etc etc... :sos:

BUT EVERYONES SUPORTS EVERYBODY... :happy feet:

Now, about bra sizes... how old did u said your daughter was? any pics so we can guess?

LOL :hysterical: Just kiddin'

I have alot of experience with used vehicles being an auto tech mechanic and having a used car lot &shop, just be careful of what your purchasing. At least do a car fax search on the vehicle its not a 100% guarantee that a vehicle didnt have a problem but it will narrow it down. take the car to a mechanic get it up on a lift to check for accident frame/body damage or flood damage which is very important . also verify the mileage just because it has a digital odometer they can be turned back also. Lastly the japaneese autos do run very good and are very reliable ex honda ,toyota nissan. I am partial to the fords of course so like five oh says good deals can be had on a used focus or a ranger pick up truck or a six cylinder stang pre 05 body style, make shure you get your warranty in wrighting also . Good luck :rockon:

Thanks!

How would one "verify" the mileage? Is that where CarFax comes into play?

I'm not happy to learn that they can roll back digital speedos...here we go again. :finger:

While it may be difficult to tell if a speedo was rolled back 5 or 10,000 miles, I bet I could spot one rolled back 50k or more miles. Take a look at the brake pedal pad...it will be worn heavily. Look at the air filter...most people don't change them. I used to be a brake tech...so I could tell by looking at the brakes...the parts all take color as they age and get heat. Another hint is how loose the door hinges and gas cap or gas cap door are...if they have opened that gas cap every 300 miles, the wear will show.

Of course RUF could shake out the phonies simply by asking the wing speed of a swallow (re: Monty Python and the Holy Grail). ;)

Dave

You're keeping me up - again. :hysterical:

I agree. Wear and tear can be a useful tool in trying to determine miles (interior too).

But when it comes down to 30 or 50k miles - it might be hard to tell.

With all the new computer mechanisms in place today, I'm surprised they haven't found a way to put this issue to rest. Miles on a car can make a huge difference in asking/selling prices.

rufdraft:

Not sure how much your price range is but here are 2 good examples that might interest your daughter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-FUSION...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Focus-...1QQcmdZViewItem

We would be willing to sell you any new Ford $500 below Invoice (excluding shelby & GT coupe) minus rebates and incentives. Also, we will pay 1/2 the shipping cost to NC. It cost me $750 to ship a truck to Charlotte.

I also have several preowned cars at www.lonestarford.com that we can discount off the posted "internet price".

good luck!

Archived