TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4:10

hotrodbob

No I am not. I have done that, have that t-shirt. Just going to do cams head work and headers as time goes.

I well all so change the driveshaft when I do the gears.

I have 4.10s, like them fine, 70mph rpm in 5th is around 2500, mpg went down average of 2.5 mpg. In my opinion just right for a non supercharged car.

4:10s are a good move for a street car, but it may be disappointing for some of you with manual trannies, so, be aware.

Tremec 3650 tranny gear ratios;

1-3.38

2-2.00

3-1.32

4-1.00

5-.068

Thus, with 4:10s and from a standing start, or, stop light punch, and as quicly as our 4.6L-3V spins up after 2000 RPM, you're going to wind out that first gear real fast.

It's worth it, no question. But, shifting early is something you have to get used to, so, practice, practice, practice...

What about 3.73s as a compromise for a 5 spd car? I have heard two sides -A) the jump from 3.55 to 3.73 is not enough to notice and B) it's more noticable than you would think and it is a nice option to the 4.10s. Sounds like based on what you said about the tranny that 3.73s could be a nice option.

What about 3.73s as a compromise for a 5 spd car? I have heard two sides -A) the jump from 3.55 to 3.73 is not enough to notice and B) it's more noticable than you would think and it is a nice option to the 4.10s. Sounds like based on what you said about the tranny that 3.73s could be a nice option.

IMHO, a lot depends on what you want to accomplish. Yes, 3:73s seem a comfy middle ground, but less productive in comparasion to 4:10s. Then, there is install costs to consider, and if you are not pleased with the 3:73s, now what?

I live in a large urban environment and most of my driving is scooting around town, stop light to stop light. Having an edge at the stop light is important to me. Though few of these "races" last long enough to see 3rd gear or see dangerous speeds for the street, I want others to see (and admire) my sequential tail lights as I safely change lanes in front of them. I will get up on the highway for a road trip every now and then, but this on an ocassional basis. Thus, I'm not too concerned about the lower MPG at cruise speeds, or the loss of top end from 4:10s.

How you drive and where you drive has more to with it than most think. The SGT is still a pretty quick car with stock 3:55 gears, so, debate your decision carefully and consider all that is involved.

One other thing...Not to sound like a safety nazi, but a gear change may void your warranty, it depends on your relationship with your dealer. Moreover, you will have to reflash the tune for speedo correction which will definately void the warranty unless authorized by SAI/FRP. Abnd, if you don't own a tuner for the flash, add a few hundred more to the install costs.

Every mod has its trade-offs...

Archived