TEAM SHELBY FORUM

40th Anniversary Prototype @ BJ

Sold for 125k :banghead:

The prototype for the 40th Anniversary, the only one that has 40th Anniversary badging done at SAI that doesn't have Special Shelby Satin Silver Stripes (SSSSS), and it was registered to Carroll Shelby as the original owner. I'd say, a very good bargin.

I don't think the buyer will ever lose money unless they drive it into the ground. My thoughts.

The prototype for the 40th Anniversary, the only one that has 40th Anniversary badging done at SAI that doesn't have Special Shelby Satin Silver Stripes (SSSSS), and it was registered to Carroll Shelby as the original owner. I'd say, a very good bargin.

I don't think the buyer will ever lose money unless they drive it into the ground. My thoughts.

Thanks Cobrafan. I was the buyer. It will be on the way to the house in a few short days, where its going up in the car rack for the very "occasional" Sunday cruise. I was pretty exicted, to say the least, AND very fortunate to land it. I suspect some day it could be worth a lot, but just the fact that it was titled to Carroll for almost a year, and that I now own it, and it is truly one of one, says it all for me, regardless of what it might be worth whenever! You won't see this car up for auction again for a LOOOOOONG time. As long as my kids have any interest in cars (and they do), it will be theirs when it's time for me to hit the road.

What a weekend at Barrett-Jackson. The only thing better than this would have been Carroll's 69 GT500, and I bailed on that one early. It went for $675k. I think I did alright!

Thanks Cobrafan. I was the buyer. It will be on the way to the house in a few short days, where its going up in the car rack for the very "occasional" Sunday cruise. I was pretty exicted, to say the least, AND very fortunate to land it. I suspect some day it could be worth a lot, but just the fact that it was titled to Carroll for almost a year, and that I now own it, and it is truly one of one, says it all for me, regardless of what it might be worth whenever! You won't see this car up for auction again for a LOOOOOONG time. As long as my kids have any interest in cars (and they do), it will be theirs when it's time for me to hit the road.

What a weekend at Barrett-Jackson. The only thing better than this would have been Carroll's 69 GT500, and I bailed on that one early. It went for $675k. I think I did alright!

Frank -

The picture shows no 40th badging on the front next to the snake, I don't know how old the pic I posted was, But is it still missing?...Also, The white stripes look like the originals from Ford, Is that correct? Nice purchase & welcome to the 40th Club!

Frank -

The picture shows no 40th badging on the front next to the snake, I don't know how old the pic I posted was, But is it still missing?...Also, The white stripes look like the originals from Ford, Is that correct? Nice purchase & welcome to the 40th Club!

Yep to both. There appears to be a number of items that did not make the prototype that did make final production, like aluminum trim pieces on the overhead light, possible sequential tail lights, no dash placque and the CSM ...000X is engraved on door sill plates, with his legendary signature, in white\silver ink, big and bold, on the dash air bag cover, just above glove box, similar to old days.

Frank -

Yes, those are Ford factory stripes. My understanding of this car is that it is not part of the 40th Anniversary registry, i.e., it is not one of the 500 cars that will be converted. It is the proto type for the 40th Anniversary, which means that it has some stuff, but not all, and it may have some stuff that is not included in the 40th package, I don't know about the later comment.

When I found out that there was a 40th Anniversary car that didn't have the Special Shelby Satin Silver Stripes (SSSSS), I kind of pitched a fit as I was one of those that fought very hard to keep my original stripes and this car went against the logic of their marketing position.

The response from SAI was that it was: A) This was the proto type and was not part of the 40th Anniversary run of 500, and B) It was Mr. Shelby's personal car which ment that he could do anything to his car that he wants since he owns the company (not exactly in those terms, but that was what they were saying) and C) It was registered to Mr. Shelby personally.

This is a very special car, period. Given the choice of being in the Shelby register as a 40th Annivearsary or having Mr. Shelby's original registered car, for me the choice would be clear. I'd take Mr. Shelby's car every time.

Congratulations on having one of a kind, what a treat.

Frank:

Congrats on your awesome purchase!!!!!!!!!! it will be one that you can enjoy for years to come.

one thing is for sure you will never find another like it anywhere.

Meckonica@bellsouth.net

07XL0226

#2 of 15

Black Vert

40th Anniversary with Snake power, brakes and shifter

I will CHeck , but I really needsome info from the buyer .

Please emailme with the info you have and title Info, just need to make sure you are the buyer before i give out more info, thanks

Amy @shelbyautos.com

Congrats and enjoy.....

To everyone in the thread, thanks so much for your congratulations. I must admit, it's kind of like being a kid with the toy you dreamed of. I get a bit giddy at times just thinking about it. Anyway, I hope some time down the road I can meet many of you, with "THE" GT500 in tow.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
To everyone in the thread, thanks so much for your congratulations. I must admit, it's kind of like being a kid with the toy you dreamed of. I get a bit giddy at times just thinking about it. Anyway, I hope some time down the road I can meet many of you, with "THE" GT500 in tow.

Frank

Congrats Frank,

Great buy at a great price!

Todd

Archived