TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford wants to do an "R"!!!!!!!!!!

:party2: The Toronto Star/Blue Collar Barn Burner "Hau Thai-Tang, director of Advanced Product Creation and SVT programs, says Ford is also investigating a higher-performance version — a GT500R, if you will — that will essentially be a street-legal race car like the old Mustang Cobra R.

"It's a matter of building a business case for it," he says, "but it's a car we would love to build." Hot Da-- :happy feet: Thats the SVT I believe in :woohoo::drool: :burnout: Mr. Thai-Tang: Build it and I will(removed for reasons of moral turpitude) Please Please Please

:party2: The Toronto Star/Blue Collar Barn Burner "Hau Thai-Tang, director of Advanced Product Creation and SVT programs, says Ford is also investigating a higher-performance version — a GT500R, if you will — that will essentially be a street-legal race car like the old Mustang Cobra R.

"It's a matter of building a business case for it," he says, "but it's a car we would love to build." Hot Da-- :happy feet: Thats the SVT I believe in :woohoo::drool: :burnout: Mr. Thai-Tang: Build it and I will(removed for reasons of moral turpitude) Please Please Please

Don't get too excited guys...alot of things are are under consideration right now.....It is hard to make a business case for it

As much as I would love to see it become a reality, I don't know how to justify it to the bean-counters. With The FR500c (boy racer) and the new "Man Racer", they already have a race version with better weight and balance. So unless they plan on targeting a limited collectors niche, an R version of the GT500 would be a hard sell.

Calling a more potent road version an R or KR would be a possibility. And would involve little in cost compared to what it could be sold for. But then it enters the price range of more sophisticated performance cars.

I WANT IT!!! WHERE DO I SIGN?!!! TIME TO START SAVING BIGTIME!!! :sos::woohoo: SAY GOODBYE Z06!!!

Hah, well if they do the same interior job as the 2000 cobra r and up the performace enuff with both handeling and speed, I think the mustang with finally beat the vette. Not in price though. you can expect a hefty price on this thing. Like said before an aluminum 302 block putting out 400 horses would be amazing in the 35 ish range.

I wonder if Tang meant to say "KR" instead of "R" :baby:

Hello Robert and company,

I was fortunate enough to accompany Mr. Laurance Yap on the day that he received his very first opportunity to sample the white/blue-striped Shelby GT500 press demo. He attended the Canadian press event at Shannonville Motorsport Park on May 16, 2006 as well.

To cut to the chase, Mr. Yap did ask specifically about the possiblility of an "R" version of the Shelby GT500. I don't know what you guys think, but I believe that it is very important that a Shelby GT500 R is developed and sold in the United States and Canada. Literally, this car would potentially be the "landmark" in Mustang history.

Just a side note, that I had a brief time behind the wheel (mainly city driving though) and I have to admit I was completely blown away by the refinement of this car. No problem taking the wife or girlfriend on a long trip.....the Shelby is a GT (Grand Turismo) in the truest sense.....a car that can cover long distances at high speed without breaking a sweat while carrying all the essentials in the trunk. If the car is too refined for you (the TR-6060 6-speed is so smooth it puts the T-56 in my 1989 5.0 LX hatchback totally to shame), start bugging Ford Racing for all the upgrade kits to come.

I can hardly wait.

Hello Robert and company,

I was fortunate enough to accompany Mr. Laurance Yap on the day that he received his very first opportunity to sample the white/blue-striped Shelby GT500 press demo. He attended the Canadian press event at Shannonville Motorsport Park on May 16, 2006 as well.

To cut to the chase, Mr. Yap did ask specifically about the possiblility of an "R" version of the Shelby GT500. I don't know what you guys think, but I believe that it is very important that a Shelby GT500 R is developed and sold in the United States and Canada. Literally, this car would potentially be the "landmark" in Mustang history.

Just a side note, that I had a brief time behind the wheel (mainly city driving though) and I have to admit I was completely blown away by the refinement of this car. No problem taking the wife or girlfriend on a long trip.....the Shelby is a GT (Grand Turismo) in the truest sense.....a car that can cover long distances at high speed without breaking a sweat while carrying all the essentials in the trunk. If the car is too refined for you (the TR-6060 6-speed is so smooth it puts the T-56 in my 1989 5.0 LX hatchback totally to shame), start bugging Ford Racing for all the upgrade kits to come.

I can hardly wait.

Unfortunately, they will probably only sell them to licensed race teams.

Unfortunately, they will probably only sell them to licensed race teams.

Is that not what the FR500C is for? If all one needs is a competition licence, and promise not to speculate, I will spend the $ for the car. Hear me SVT?

I think It be great to have another king of the road. If they did it all they would have to do I think use the ford gt motor, all fiber glass shelby gt500 shell, and tac on another 25k. And there you have it a power to weight ratio better then a Z06 with a body that might be comperable in wieght with the same price tag as the Z06, If the GT500 goes for 40k and a GT500KR go for 65k, then that would be a replica of the vette which goes for 40k and the Z06 goes for 65k. But wied have 550 hp and theyd have only 505hp. There you go Ford I just saved you alot of time to think it out there it is,lol.

Archived