TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Replacement

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could be. Tonight is going to be a good test. Getting up to 62 today then dropping to 30 in a two hour time frame this afternoon, then going on down to 16 tonight. Crazy weather. We will see if my scoop comes alive.

Well it's 14 this morning and it hasn't changed. It actually got up to 70 yesterday at noon then started dropping like a rock.

Seems to be handling extreme temp changes so far.....

What if this was the final solution? Do we have confirmation from SAI that they are still working on another fix?

Amy posted last week sometime that they were working with a different supplier on creating new molds and it should take about 10 weeks. Since that time here post which was pinned in the mod section has disapeared, Robert said they were making some forum permission changes and her post got removed but they would try to retrieve it or have Amy re-post. I have the latest fix (riverted sccop with insert) waiting at the dealership but have since told them I was going to hold off as there is now problems with this scoop as well, so it looks like I'm waiting 10 weeks. :waiting:

Amy posted last week sometime that they were working with a different supplier on creating new molds and it should take about 10 weeks. Since that time here post which was pinned in the mod section has disapeared, Robert said they were making some forum permission changes and her post got removed but they would try to retrieve it or have Amy re-post. I have the latest fix (riverted sccop with insert) waiting at the dealership but have since told them I was going to hold off as there is now problems with this scoop as well, so it looks like I'm waiting 10 weeks. :waiting:

Bud sent me an email confirming that they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix and asked me to wait until he posts on this forum that the fix is ready.

I have the new scoop which fits great but has the dip. I looked on ebay today at all the new 2008 SGT's and was able to see four of them had the dip. I also saw one at my dealer two weeks ago and it had the dip too.

While I'm dissapointed that there is still a problem, I'm glad that SAI is aware and is working the problem which means we still have hope!

mine has the bump also with the rivited scoop i also noticed a few waves in the hood itself so im on the waiting list for a fix. but isnt this why we got the shelby any other manufaturer would have told us to live with it as it isnt a mech. item.

I think this scoop is a Shelby icon. They really would be hurting themselves in the long run if they didn't make it right.

Hey MAP! Sorry I haven't contacted you since Palm Coast, enjoyed our chat! Keep the updates (and PICS!) coming with that scoop fix. I believe, as you, that part of the issue with the rivets is there is no "adjustability" in how much tension you can put on them. By the way, I read elsewhere that the scoop is made out of urethane - sort of like rubber, only plastic...!

Keep at it buddy!

Now if I can just get the grill surround fixed!

Hey MAP! Sorry I haven't contacted you since Palm Coast, enjoyed our chat! Keep the updates (and PICS!) coming with that scoop fix. I believe, as you, that part of the issue with the rivets is there is no "adjustability" in how much tension you can put on them. By the way, I read elsewhere that the scoop is made out of urethane - sort of like rubber, only plastic...!

Keep at it buddy!

Now if I can just get the grill surround fixed!

I got the scoop installed with screws, it fits the hood real nice, it does have a slight dip about 3.5" from the front, but not too bad. Now the hood has a few waves on the sides of the scoop, but again not too bad. All in all it is much better than my original scoop. My adjustability theory is kind of out the window since my hood has waves and I was really easy on the torque. My new theroy is that the screws or rivets go through the hood at an angle because the surface of the new scoop is not parallel to the surface of the hood and the rivet/screws pull at an angle on the bottom of the hood. I don't know I give up, maybe a new Bullitt would be nice!

I will say the waves are not bad, since they are in the stripe, might show up more on a black car. I don't really notice them until I get in the car and look down the side of the scoop.

I will say the waves are not bad, since they are in the stripe, might show up more on a black car. I don't really notice them until I get in the car and look down the side of the scoop.

The old scoops had a number of wave issues and a propensity to dip in the front. This is a "new scoop"? I haven't heard too many of the new scoops, having waves, but some like mine, now have a crease. I'm not an engineer and a lot of the possible causes seem possible to me but SAI is working on a new design and a new manufacturer. So stand by.

I got the scoop installed with screws, it fits the hood real nice, it does have a slight dip about 3.5" from the front, but not too bad. Now the hood has a few waves on the sides of the scoop, but again not too bad. All in all it is much better than my original scoop. My adjustability theory is kind of out the window since my hood has waves and I was really easy on the torque. My new theroy is that the screws or rivets go through the hood at an angle because the surface of the new scoop is not parallel to the surface of the hood and the rivet/screws pull at an angle on the bottom of the hood. I don't know I give up, maybe a new Bullitt would be nice!

________________________________________________________________________________

you used screws instead of rivets and carefully torqued them, and the hood still developed waves? did i capture that correctly? the screws are around the perimeter of the scoop (where the old fake ones were) ?

Hmmmm, waves (even though "not bad") are probably not good, especially if you're looking at them from the driver's seat! This sounds like the scoop (being molded flat) is now putting tension on the thin sheet metal of the hood, in spite of the torque on the bolts. Did you try putting any cushion underneath, like foam tape?

I suppose re-molding the scoop to the compound curve of the hood would be the ideal solution. Of course the material would have to be something resistant to temperature extremes, probably aluminum or steel!

I know I'll be flamed and I hate to say this but: My old Mustang II "Cobra" scoop looked/fit better!

(Oh, by the way folks, I've got #4511, and I have witnesses, though not awful, my scoop looks worse than MAP's!)

Hmmmm, waves (even though "not bad") are probably not good, especially if you're looking at them from the driver's seat! This sounds like the scoop (being molded flat) is now putting tension on the thin sheet metal of the hood, in spite of the torque on the bolts. Did you try putting any cushion underneath, like foam tape?

I suppose re-molding the scoop to the compound curve of the hood would be the ideal solution. Of course the material would have to be something resistant to temperature extremes, probably aluminum or steel!

I know I'll be flamed and I hate to say this but: My old Mustang II "Cobra" scoop looked/fit better!

(Oh, by the way folks, I've got #4511, and I have witnesses, though not awful, my scoop looks worse than MAP's!)

I think I will try and make a doubler to go on the bottom under the nuts on the sides of the scoop since this is where I am getting waves. The aluminum hood is too thin I suppose.

MAP

no flames from me. you are right. i will keep my original scoop until something better comes along.

no flames from me. you are right. i will keep my original scoop until something better comes along.

I think the aluminum rivets are somewhat softer than stainless steel screws and it is possible that the rivets are bending a little to conform to the surface of the scoop and the underside of the hood. Even so, my dealer told me he had to be very careful not to distort the hood.

I think the aluminum rivets are somewhat softer than stainless steel screws and it is possible that the rivets are bending a little to conform to the surface of the scoop and the underside of the hood. Even so, my dealer told me he had to be very careful not to distort the hood.

Going to hijack for a scoop question, I have 4899 and it is wavy at base where the rivets hold it down, and a small crease in the front..not horrible but a little less than I expected froma shelby.

My question, is the scoop painted silver or is it tape? I know the stripe is tape what about the scoop itself?

Mark

Going to hijack for a scoop question, I have 4899 and it is wavy at base where the rivets hold it down, and a small crease in the front..not horrible but a little less than I expected froma shelby.

My question, is the scoop painted silver or is it tape? I know the stripe is tape what about the scoop itself?

Mark

The scoop is painted silver with either a black or white tape stripe down the center

Mark

It's got to be painted.

My scoop has the dip/crease in the front but the dealer did a good job on the rivets. My concern is that if SAI does come up with another scoop, is it worth the risk having it installed given how difficult it is to work with this flimsy hood.

It's got to be painted.

My scoop has the dip/crease in the front but the dealer did a good job on the rivets. My concern is that if SAI does come up with another scoop, is it worth the risk having it installed given how difficult it is to work with this flimsy hood.

Where can I get touchup, I got a nice rock chip on the scoop..

I think I will try and make a doubler to go on the bottom under the nuts on the sides of the scoop since this is where I am getting waves. The aluminum hood is too thin I suppose.

MAP

If you have enough room, it might work. Some sort of fender washer, or perhaps a large, u-shaped (to match the scoop) doubler on the bottom side of the hood.

I know you will, but BE CAREFUL!

Later,

SEF

AKA:

I'm still 7 yo 10 days away from getting my scoop installed and, as I found out today, my stripes replaced yet again. Apparently the last job was done crooked. I guess I couldn't tell since the scoop was floating all over the place distracting me! :hysterical2:

Not to change the subject but, doesn't that front license plate affect your engine temps?

SEF

AKA:

I'm still 7 yo 10 days away from getting my scoop installed and, as I found out today, my stripes replaced yet again. Apparently the last job was done crooked. I guess I couldn't tell since the scoop was floating all over the place distracting me! :hysterical2:

Stump,

Are you going to have the rivetd version istalled ? I have one waiting at the dealer for me but have decided to wait until SAI corrects the dip issue towards the front of the scoop. Amy stated a couple of weeks ago that they were having the scoop re-tooled and done by a different supplier but it would take about 10 weeks to complete.

Don

Stump,

Are you going to have the rivetd version istalled ? I have one waiting at the dealer for me but have decided to wait until SAI corrects the dip issue towards the front of the scoop. Amy stated a couple of weeks ago that they were having the scoop re-tooled and done by a different supplier but it would take about 10 weeks to complete.

Don

Drop off car last night for replacement scoop. Just received a call today from Able Ford dealership, guess what---- they said the new one sent by Shelby has a large dip towards the front of the scoop going reorder. Oh well till the next episode.

Archived