TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Replacement

Well right after I took delivery of my brand new 07 SGT 0862 I took it to the dealership so that they could make arrangements to get the replacement scoop and get it fixed. They called and talked to the engineers as they had their own thoughts of a fix but were told quite firmly to follow the Shelby engineered fix. I put the car in the shop yesterday and today went to pick it up. Upon inspection it looked beautiful, I jumped in the seat and started to drive off. When I pulled it out of the shop into the daylight I then got the surprise of my life. The hood had buckled in two spots on one side and one on the other where it is riveted to the hood. It appears the rivets must have pulled the sheetmatel into the hood support or something. The Bodyshop manager liked to have freaked out, he immediately called Shelby to ask them what happened and they requested pictures which they will review Monday. I was so disgusted that I left the car at the dealership. I have no doubt that the dealership did a good job and followed instructions. I cannot believe that these cars left Shelby with buckling hood scoops in the first place and then the fix that I experienced is even worse. I am really starting to wonder about quality control. I was told that about the first 1200 cars had the scoop problem before it was caught, don't think that I believe that because at the same dealership there is an 07 in the 2800's with the same problem.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, that's too bad. This hood scoop issue never ends. I'm still leaving mine all-original until the jury is out!!! I'm more concerned here because of the temperature variations we experience.

I've been saying for a long time that SAI needs to investigate providing aluminum, in lieu of plastic, hood scoops, and then rivet them. I think that the dissimilar materials are not going to work in all cases.

I would like to take a time-lapse movie of mine...when I move it outside from the 50 degree garage to the 20 degree outside temps, you can almost see it start to curl up!! Its kind of funny in a way.

Mine is in the low 3000's and not so hot. I, too, am sitting on the fence for awhile. My stripes are kind of bad too, but I am kind of scared to have it worked on. I keep picturing a 16 year old kid with a blow dryer sitting on the fender and scraping the old ones off with some kind of putty knife.

I had the "final" hood scoop fix done. Rivets look great...but it's developing this "crease" about 3-4 inches from the front. John was aware, but now that he isn't there, I am going to contact Bud. Going to let Bud catch his breath after all the events before I pursue this ..again.

Several of us that have had the final fix done are having this issue.

Had mine done a few weeks ago and still looks great!

Don't know what to say other than this isn't a fix for the typical dealer's shop. Both the dealers I consulted with on the fix said they were going to send it out. One said his shop was good but this was something he didn't want to see messed up.

I don't have a "crease" yet, though I'm not really sure what's meant by that. Can you post pics so I can keep an eye out?

BTW, you can get a new factory painted hood here:

http://www.newtakeoff.com/index.asp?PageAc...amp;ProdID=7837

At $379 complete and factory painted it's a great deal for your dealer and you just can't beat the factory paint job.

Good luck!

Add me to the "Sitting on the fence club" The weather has been cold here and i can see the lifting in the back corners and along the left side. Hopefully it will all be said and done when i take mine back to SAI for some mad's, then i will have that issue handled at the same time........

pfffffffffffftttt you moderators !!!!! This isn't a "mod" issue...it's a discussion issue !!!! :banghead: How does this classify as a mod issue ...as it is part of the stock car and was being discussed???? :headscratch:

That's bad!

This forum "Mod" AND "Tech" meaning anything to do with modification, maintenance, or discussions of issues specific to parts of the car.

These are important threads and to have them years later mixed in with "what do you think of my new car key chain" will make it harder to weed though things later. The goal is to have a central place for JUST car talk with everything else in the General Discussion. Believe it or not there are some people that don't want to read about the Birthday Party and just want the car stuff.

That's bad!

This forum "Mod" AND "Tech" meaning anything to do with modification, maintenance, or discussions of issues specific to parts of the car.

These are important threads and to have them years later mixed in with "what do you think of my new car key chain" will make it harder to weed though things later. The goal is to have a central place for JUST car talk with everything else in the General Discussion. Believe it or not there are some people that don't want to read about the Birthday Party and just want the car stuff.

pfffft...i can count ten other posts over there that have to do with car parts !! :hysterical:

You are just picking on me !! :headspin::waiting:

I miss the old forum where everything is in one place :(

Well right after I took delivery of my brand new 07 SGT 0862 I took it to the dealership so that they could make arrangements to get the replacement scoop and get it fixed. They called and talked to the engineers as they had their own thoughts of a fix but were told quite firmly to follow the Shelby engineered fix. I put the car in the shop yesterday and today went to pick it up. Upon inspection it looked beautiful, I jumped in the seat and started to drive off. When I pulled it out of the shop into the daylight I then got the surprise of my life. The hood had buckled in two spots on one side and one on the other where it is riveted to the hood. It appears the rivets must have pulled the sheetmatel into the hood support or something. The Bodyshop manager liked to have freaked out, he immediately called Shelby to ask them what happened and they requested pictures which they will review Monday. I was so disgusted that I left the car at the dealership. I have no doubt that the dealership did a good job and followed instructions. I cannot believe that these cars left Shelby with buckling hood scoops in the first place and then the fix that I experienced is even worse. I am really starting to wonder about quality control. I was told that about the first 1200 cars had the scoop problem before it was caught, don't think that I believe that because at the same dealership there is an 07 in the 2800's with the same problem.

Here is a picture of my 3rd scoop which was replaced on Monday by SAI. It sits flat but has a similiar crease like sdear's.

The problem with these scoops as I see it is not only dissimilar materials expanding and contracting at different rates, but also and perhaps the larger problem is that the hood scoop is originally flat and it is then force-bent onto the curved hood. This is what is now causing the big dimple. The original scoop installations do not have the big dimple because the stresses are being relieved in other ways such as the little dimples and curling of the edges.

SAI / Ford is faced with a recall problem here I think. 7000 SGT's will need proper scoop replacements. :eek5:

" but also and perhaps the larger problem is that the hood scoop is originally flat and it is then force-bent onto the curved hood. "

I stated that in a thread a couple months ago ilmor.

My 07 (# 5236) fits tight on the hood with no no lifting, and no crease across the top, but does have some inconstancies down the sides. We will see how long it stays that way.

Mine is in the low 3000's and not so hot. I, too, am sitting on the fence for awhile. My stripes are kind of bad too, but I am kind of scared to have it worked on. I keep picturing a 16 year old kid with a blow dryer sitting on the fender and scraping the old ones off with some kind of putty knife.

Sadly that 16 year old will probably have no interest in cars and probably listening to rap music while he works on your car.

Sadly that 16 year old will probably have no interest in cars and probably listening to rap music while he works on your car.

My SGT is over #4000 and I have also decided to wait for the proper fix. Or I may not have it modified at all. 40 years from now, when I am dead, maybe my SGT will be at Barrett-Jackson with the descriptor of totally stock White 2007 SGT with ORIGINAL warped hood scoop.

I TOTALLY understand....and YES I am picking on you. :hysterical:

STOP it...I pick back !!!!! :waiting:

The guy that put my scoop on is a great SVT mechanic whiom I trust thoroughly. The scoop finally lays perfectly flat, but had a small crease from the get go. After a few d ays , it got worse.

I think that I may be OK with the scoop not being TOTALLY perfect since I kind of look at mine as adding a kind of 60's retro look to the car. Those of us that remember the cars from that era realize that fit and finish were not even close to what we see today.

I had the "final" hood scoop fix done. Rivets look great...but it's developing this "crease" about 3-4 inches from the front. John was aware, but now that he isn't there, I am going to contact Bud. Going to let Bud catch his breath after all the events before I pursue this ..again.

Several of us that have had the final fix done are having this issue.

Add me to the list of having the "crease" issue with the new scoop, looks just like the pictures you posted. Overall the new scoop is better than the old one but the warp/crease ruined it for me. So the 'final' fix is not final afterall, the saga continues. On the other hand I thought it was just mine so now at least I know I'm not alone, misery loves company.

By the way sdear... nice job on the dash autograph!

OK Guys, I have to tell you. When you pay this kind of money for a car and with a name like SHELBY associated you don't expect to have to deal with something like this continually (or have to wait on the fence or hope it doesn't get worse or settle for it not being as bad as others) I mean no respect to any of you here. I guess that I am shocked that there are so many of you being SO patient. As many of you may remember I was really "on the fence" about even buying this car because of the whole hood scoop issue in the first place. While nobody is perfect and problems do happen it seems that this is non ending for many folks and I do not see an end. Before I bought this car I emailed SAI about my concern to spend this much money on a car that has an inherent problem from the start. (hood scoop) I was reassured by them that this was an easy fix and the problem was corrected after approximately the first 1200 cars. I hear that I am not the only person to have had their scoop "fixed" in a worse way. Either SAI is burying their head in the sand or the problem is bigger than they think?

It just so happens that there is a Stage 3 Rousch convertible at the same dealership where my hood scoop fix took place. The manager showed me this really nice professional template that Rousch sent them to attach the guys new scoop to his hood (the car was in a front end collision). Then they showed me the template that was sent with my scoop, it was a hand cut out with pen pen marks. Real nice.

And I guess I might as well make note for you guys buying an 08 SGT, please look at your hood as well. On the new 08 at this dealership the scoop is perfect but when they (SAI) riveted it on the hood they pinched the decal so badly that it wrinkled in both corners at the front of the scoop.

These are some of the reasons I am questioning quality control. I just hope they can fix my car.

OK Guys, I have to tell you. When you pay this kind of money for a car and with a name like SHELBY associated you don't expect to have to deal with something like this continually (or have to wait on the fence or hope it doesn't get worse or settle for it not being as bad as others) I mean no respect to any of you here. I guess that I am shocked that there are so many of you being SO patient. As many of you may remember I was really "on the fence" about even buying this car because of the whole hood scoop issue in the first place. While nobody is perfect and problems do happen it seems that this is non ending for many folks and I do not see an end. Before I bought this car I emailed SAI about my concern to spend this much money on a car that has an inherent problem from the start. (hood scoop) I was reassured by them that this was an easy fix and the problem was corrected after approximately the first 1200 cars. I hear that I am not the only person to have had their scoop "fixed" in a worse way. Either SAI is burying their head in the sand or the problem is bigger than they think?

It just so happens that there is a Stage 3 Rousch convertible at the same dealership where my hood scoop fix took place. The manager showed me this really nice professional template that Rousch sent them to attach the guys new scoop to his hood (the car was in a front end collision). Then they showed me the template that was sent with my scoop, it was a hand cut out with pen pen marks. Real nice.

And I guess I might as well make note for you guys buying an 08 SGT, please look at your hood as well. On the new 08 at this dealership the scoop is perfect but when they (SAI) riveted it on the hood they pinched the decal so badly that it wrinkled in both corners at the front of the scoop.

These are some of the reasons I am questioning quality control. I just hope they can fix my car.

I am sure the Roush hood scoop is very well done. And Jack Roush was an engineer for Ford for many years and runs a tremendous race team. And again, no disrespect to Jack Roush but his car is not a SHELBY. Yeah, the hood scoop is an issue, but it is still a SHELBY ! Nothing else will ever compare. No one else has the history or the mystique of SHELBY. Just my honest opinion !

Add me to the list of having the "crease" issue with the new scoop, looks just like the pictures you posted. Overall the new scoop is better than the old one but the warp/crease ruined it for me. So the 'final' fix is not final afterall, the saga continues. On the other hand I thought it was just mine so now at least I know I'm not alone, misery loves company.

By the way sdear... nice job on the dash autograph!

HI Cuda ! Yes..the dash looks great !

Sorry to hear you have the issue "again" with the scoop. I am on scoop #4...........and not done. I think there are more of us with the issue again than publically known. I wasn't going to bring it to the forum, but when the guy started this thread I figured I needed to speak up too. Not sure what to even do with this anymore.

I will be in contact with Bud next week...wanted to give them time to get over the weekend's events .

This "new" design apparently isn't doing the trick...as so many with the fix are having this crease.

I am sure the Roush hood scoop is very well done. And Jack Roush was an engineer for Ford for many years and runs a tremendous race team. And again, no disrespect to Jack Roush but his car is not a SHELBY. Yeah, the hood scoop is an issue, but it is still a SHELBY ! Nothing else will ever compare. No one else has the history or the mystique of SHELBY. Just my honest opinion !

69dejavvue,

I think you are missing my point. If I wanted a Rousch I would have bought one. I picked the SHELBY for all the reasons you mentioned. I do not want to own a hood scoop problem car of ANY make. I am asking for a fix, a REAL Quality fix that we all deserve.

Archived