TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Replacement

And I do admire those of you who've tried several fixes and are still civil with the powers that be :superhero:

Jim,

I think you've been civil! There's nothing wrong with expressing your opinion, displeasure, and frustration in a "civil" way.

We all get a little miffed, for lack a of a more '"civil" term, when we think of these and other issues and annoyances we've had. But I think as long as SAI acknowledges the problem and steps up to fix it we can give them the time to see it through. I'll say again I hope to have this car for MANY MANY years and I want it done right, rather than fast. I don't want to be dealing with this issue a year from now but I really don't think some of the talk I see on this subject being very helpful other than perhaps a venting avenue or topic detractors can use to :stirpot:

Maybe that's ok! I just get tired of reading what we all already know.

1. the scoop is a bad design

2. we hate the way it detracts from the car

3. we think we deserve better for what we paid

4. we needed/wanted it yesterday

5. we're growing tired of promises

6. we want to know what's going on

7. we want to know when it will be done

I think that about sums it up yet it takes 3 threads and 17 pages to say it, over and over and over. :waiting:

Again, it's fine people post their opinions and this is mine! :dreamy:

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pastor Passum, I'm sorry to hear about all the problems your having with your Shelby. I'm not trying to make it worse but there is an alignment problem on a lot of these and you did not mention having that issue. If the top of the tire is leaning in then get it checked! If it's out of alignment, they will have to put on camber plates. I'm just telling you this because if you have to put tires on it in 10,000 miles (the inside edge of the front tires will wear out) that will just make your experience worse.

Sharp GT/SC, sorry if it sounded like I'm having a lot of problems with my SGT. I'm not. As I indicated it's just the scoop problem that everyone else (almost) is having. As I noted I haven't filed a warranty claim, rather just talked with my service manager and made sure he noted my concerns. Until a suitable fix is available I'd rather not be a guinea pig. But I am amused at the idea that we may want to purchase another type of hood to fix the problem. This is just a cosmetic issue that I'm sure SAI will make right. Other than that I'm as happy as I can be with my Shelby. I've read about every post and am aware of the shifter rattles and tire wear problems some have had but mine (knock on wood) has been perfect so far.

Jeff, the statement I made about those of you who've tried several fixes and are still civil was tongue in cheek mostly. If I had holes drilled and rivets fouling up my stripes like some pic's I've seen and huge dips in the newest fix I might not be so happy. I'm just glad I've waited. And yes, I too have tired of reading the 16 or so pages on this thread. I wouldn't have added to it if it hadn't been for several references about purchasing another hood. But anyway...it's been a beautiful day here and I got to enjoy the Shelby while many are cooped up in snowy climes and your cars still stored away. I'm so lucky and have no regrets what so ever about my Shelby experience as well as the folks I've met here on this site, even Bull :headspin:

Jim

PERSONAL THOUGHTS:

You keep going on and on and on about this and now you're soliciting for a class action lawsuit? A lawsuit for something the company is trying to fix? And what exactly would the suit ask for? The company to supply a proper scoop? Oh, wait they're already working on that. :finger: For your pain and suffering? Sorry, can't claim that in a commercial case. They are working on a new version of the scoop to fix the issues exactly what more would you have them do? Hey, if the new scoop comes and it too is messed up maybe we can talk, it will be my 4th scoop, but seriously it's a little premature to go running off the deep end.

MODERATOR THOUGHTS:

That's a very interesting suggestion zdle!

Believe me if the 36 months runs out and there is no Proper Repair .........................they won't offer it free when they finally get it right

Jeff, the statement I made about those of you who've tried several fixes and are still civil was tongue in cheek mostly. If I had holes drilled and rivets fouling up my stripes like some pic's I've seen and huge dips in the newest fix I might not be so happy.

Jim

Agreed!

I had mine done with the rivets, and new stripes put on the hood (also under warranty) and it's PERFECT, absolutely PERFECT, with the exception of the crease.

I had my 3'd scoop done over a month ago and my rivets, unlike many I see here, are flush with no damage to the scoop or the hood. There is no damage to the stripes either. So I am left to wonder how much of what we are seeing is the installation? Not saying the fact all this needs to be done is "ok" only that the installation obviously can be done well. But at a dealer, or at SAI, it seems to be a challenge to install and easy to mess up. So for this reason alone it needs to be fixed....in addition to the crease or "big dipper" of course.

Again, my personal feelings as someone that is, and has been, living the same issues...

Sharp GT/SC, sorry if it sounded like I'm having a lot of problems with my SGT. I'm not. As I indicated it's just the scoop problem that everyone else (almost) is having. As I noted I haven't filed a warranty claim, rather just talked with my service manager and made sure he noted my concerns. Until a suitable fix is available I'd rather not be a guinea pig. But I am amused at the idea that we may want to purchase another type of hood to fix the problem. This is just a cosmetic issue that I'm sure SAI will make right. Other than that I'm as happy as I can be with my Shelby. I've read about every post and am aware of the shifter rattles and tire wear problems some have had but mine (knock on wood) has been perfect so far.

Jeff, the statement I made about those of you who've tried several fixes and are still civil was tongue in cheek mostly. If I had holes drilled and rivets fouling up my stripes like some pic's I've seen and huge dips in the newest fix I might not be so happy. I'm just glad I've waited. And yes, I too have tired of reading the 16 or so pages on this thread. I wouldn't have added to it if it hadn't been for several references about purchasing another hood. But anyway...it's been a beautiful day here and I got to enjoy the Shelby while many are cooped up in snowy climes and your cars still stored away. I'm so lucky and have no regrets what so ever about my Shelby experience as well as the folks I've met here on this site, even Bull :headspin:

Jim

+1

I have a perfect install except for the crease/dip and I'm not too worried by it anymore. If SAI doesn't come up with a real fix, then I may just leave it as it is. In fact the shape is starting to grow on me and is really not noticable to others unless I point it out. If SAI has a real fix, there still is no gaurantee that when installed on my hood and by my dealer that it will be as good as other installations. This is apparent based on some not having a dip or crease with the current scoop. SAI has also said that they will be using the same material so the only change I can imagine is that they have changed the internal structure and possibly the insert. Even with testing of this new scoop, it appears to me that much is still dependent on proper installation and if you already have the rivet holes in your hood, a new scoop may not improve it.

The little shape on the top of the scoop is nowhere near as bad as the wrinkles and knuckles and fit of the old scoop IMO.

+1

I have a perfect install except for the crease/dip and I'm not too worried by it anymore. If SAI doesn't come up with a real fix, then I may just leave it as it is. In fact the shape is starting to grow on me and is really not noticable to others unless I point it out. If SAI has a real fix, there still is no gaurantee that when installed on my hood and by my dealer that it will be as good as other installations. This is apparent based on some not having a dip or crease with the current scoop. SAI has also said that they will be using the same material so the only change I can imagine is that they have changed the internal structure and possibly the insert. Even with testing of this new scoop, it appears to me that much is still dependent on proper installation and if you already have the rivet holes in your hood, a new scoop may not improve it.

The little shape on the top of the scoop is nowhere near as bad as the wrinkles and knuckles and fit of the old scoop IMO.

+1

My new scoop is FAR FAR FAR better than the old and it no longer serves as a clear source of embarrassment. My crease is only noticeable when you look at it the right way but I have seen some FAR FAR worse so I suspect over time mine will end up the same way. It's nice to drive it and not see daylight or waves along the sides! Now we need to fix these dips and creases!

-Jeff

Gentlemen,

I have a Kirkham 427SC with an aluminum hood scoop. I know my SGT hood scoop is quite a bit wider than the Cobra scoop so that won't work as a replacement but perhaps I can get Kirkham to fabricate a run of aluminum scoops for the SGT. Obviously ford wouldn't pay for this but are there any other owners who might be interested in buying one?

Chip Beck

Gentlemen,

I have a Kirkham 427SC with an aluminum hood scoop. I know my SGT hood scoop is quite a bit wider than the Cobra scoop so that won't work as a replacement but perhaps I can get Kirkham to fabricate a run of aluminum scoops for the SGT. Obviously ford wouldn't pay for this but are there any other owners who might be interested in buying one?

Chip Beck

Thanks Chip but the main point of this thread is to have Ford/SAI to fix it.

Gentlemen,

Chip Beck

Chip, maybe one day, post warranty this will be a BIG potential market for a company like Kirkham and I hope they're watching! For now though I think the emphasis, and rightly so, is on getting a fix form SAI. Maybe SAI will consider a partnership with Kirkham or someone like them to offer something similar?

i don't think it matters if anyone has replaced there scoop or not ,or has the latest and greatest scoop out there.if you let the sun hit the scoop for very long then it will get a dip in the scoop.there was not any reinforcement at the end of the scoop and that is why we are getting the dip on the latest version.i would hate to see someone leave this latest version of the scoop on there car and down the road they have a problem with there scoop and there warranty has run out.the dealer did an excellent job replacing my scoop this,with no lifting or gaps but he couldn't stop the dip at the end of the scoop once i got it out in the warm Texas sun.hopefully the reinforcement that they are suppose to do to the next version will work.now if i can get a good installer again but who knows.i would not let these scoops go unchecked.we all paid too much to allow shelby a free ride on these scoops.

i don't think it matters if anyone has replaced there scoop or not ,or has the latest and greatest scoop out there.if you let the sun hit the scoop for very long then it will get a dip in the scoop.there was not any reinforcement at the end of the scoop and that is why we are getting the dip on the latest version.i would hate to see someone leave this latest version of the scoop on there car and down the road they have a problem with there scoop and there warranty has run out.the dealer did an excellent job replacing my scoop this,with no lifting or gaps but he couldn't stop the dip at the end of the scoop once i got it out in the warm Texas sun.hopefully the reinforcement that they are suppose to do to the next version will work.now if i can get a good installer again but who knows.i would not let these scoops go unchecked.we all paid too much to allow shelby a free ride on these scoops.

You have a good point!

Gentlemen,

Chip Beck

Chip,

Warranty or not, that is EXACTLY what needs to be done to replace the "plastic" ones on there now... Can you imagine an aluminium scoop, held on with aluminum rivets to an aluminum hood :hysterical2: Heck, it might even look good with a hole cut out of the factory hood to allow fresh air into the engine compartment :happy feet: Wouldn't that be something??? A fully functional hood scoop :headspin:

If only I knew someone "old school" who could use my scoop as a template and make me a one-off all aluminum, fully-functional replacement...

07SGT0547

Gentlemen,

Chip Beck

I would definitely be interested, depending on reasonableness of cost of course.

Chip, maybe one day, post warranty this will be a BIG potential market for a company like Kirkham and I hope they're watching! For now though I think the emphasis, and rightly so, is on getting a fix form SAI. Maybe SAI will consider a partnership with Kirkham or someone like them to offer something similar?

My disappointment is that ford/sai has not openly acknowledge the scoop issue at any point and notified all purchasers by letter that a fix is in the works, many owners are not on this board like we are and maybe they think the scoop is supposed to be warped. as well as notify all GT owners when its complete at which point advise correct procedure on having current scoop inspected for replacement and any damage fixed. i am still curious about the rivet holes on this first fix, when it gets replaced will they just use thicker rivets in same holes! or are we looking at hood replacements maybe?just thinking out loud :)

As the self-proclaimed official page counter I can now say Page 17 and counting. I have a question re the use of aluminum for the scoop. Would there be a problem with the paint, stripes, etc. Is this a more expensive option than another plastic scoop? If so maybe that is the reason for the procrastination on the part of SAI.

As the self-proclaimed official page counter I can now say Page 17 and counting. I have a question re the use of aluminum for the scoop. Would there be a problem with the paint, stripes, etc. Is this a more expensive option than another plastic scoop? If so maybe that is the reason for the procrastination on the part of SAI.

I think it would definitely be more expensive. SAI is faced with some big costs here in any event, having 7 or 8000 bad scoops out there. I think its more important that they satisfy their customers so they don't get a bad reputation. With an aluminum scoop, I don't think that the paint / stripes would be a concern anymore as both the hood and scoop would tend to expand and contract at similar rates, unlike the current arrangement.

I think it would definitely be more expensive. SAI is faced with some big costs here in any event, having 7 or 8000 bad scoops out there. I think its more important that they satisfy their customers so they don't get a bad reputation. With an aluminum scoop, I don't think that the paint / stripes would be a concern anymore as both the hood and scoop would tend to expand and contract at similar rates, unlike the current arrangement.

Hard to say that other problems wouldn't pop up. I remember reading that the original GT 350's had problems with cracks in the aluminum hoods or scoops around the rivets.

My disappointment is that ford/sai has not openly acknowledge the scoop issue at any point and notified all purchasers by letter that a fix is in the works, many owners are not on this board like we are and maybe they think the scoop is supposed to be warped. as well as notify all GT owners when its complete at which point advise correct procedure on having current scoop inspected for replacement and any damage fixed. i am still curious about the rivet holes on this first fix, when it gets replaced will they just use thicker rivets in same holes! or are we looking at hood replacements maybe?just thinking out loud :)

yes you are right. the company needs to hire a customer relations person. they should be collecting VIN's of complaint vehicles, putting written repair instructions together. sending letters to customers and their respective dealership repair facilities. setting it up for quick repairs in the spring. my car is about a year old with no fix.

poorly handled, not being up front with issues (especially collector vehicles) is big trouble

already pretty much lost my trust...does not seem to matter I guess

yes you are right. the company needs to hire a customer relations person. they should be collecting VIN's of complaint vehicles, putting written repair instructions together. sending letters to customers and their respective dealership repair facilities. setting it up for quick repairs in the spring. my car is about a year old with no fix.

poorly handled, not being up front with issues (especially collector vehicles) is big trouble

already pretty much lost my trust...does not seem to matter I guess

Through the two scoops I've had installed, SAI and my dealer have been VERY responsive. Granted, I would not have known that this scoop was a wide spread problem if it weren't for this forum, but remember SAI setup this forum so that we could have a dialog with each other and SAI! I'm an engineer and our company has had its share of sticky design problems like this scoop. When you're in production and you've delivered a bunch of units, the design solutions become very limited. You have a flimsy hood, the stripes are already on the hood and the scoop must go on top of them. An aluminum scoop would need to fit perfectly if it weren't to warp and distort the hood when riveted. A plastic scoop must also be flexible enough not to distort the hood too.

The design just needed alot more testing that's why Ford said they needed 3 years to bring the SGT to market and SAI said they could do it in 6 months! One of them was speaking from experience.

Through the two scoops I've had installed, SAI and my dealer have been VERY responsive. Granted, I would not have known that this scoop was a wide spread problem if it weren't for this forum, but remember SAI setup this forum so that we could have a dialog with each other and SAI! I'm an engineer and our company has had its share of sticky design problems like this scoop. When you're in production and you've delivered a bunch of units, the design solutions become very limited. You have a flimsy hood, the stripes are already on the hood and the scoop must go on top of them. An aluminum scoop would need to fit perfectly if it weren't to warp and distort the hood when riveted. A plastic scoop must also be flexible enough not to distort the hood too.

The design just needed alot more testing that's why Ford said they needed 3 years to bring the SGT to market and SAI said they could do it in 6 months! One of them was speaking from experience.

you are right. the problem is, I was prepared to buy some goodies from shelby, but with this going on, am holding off

you are right. the problem is, I was prepared to buy some goodies from shelby, but with this going on, am holding off

Been lurking since I bought SGT 5558 a couple of weeks ago and I have been reading this thread w/ great interest. I too am holding off buying any accessories related to the Shelby name until I see how this hood scoop issue is resolved.

I love my car and haven't had the scoop issue (yet) but my future Shelby "goodies" purchases will hinge on the outcome of this hood scoop problem.

Good luck guys and I hope I don't get the same problems.

Been lurking since I bought SGT 5558 a couple of weeks ago and I have been reading this thread w/ great interest. I too am holding off buying any accessories related to the Shelby name until I see how this hood scoop issue is resolved.

I love my car and haven't had the scoop issue (yet) but my future Shelby "goodies" purchases will hinge on the outcome of this hood scoop problem.

Good luck guys and I hope I don't get the same problems.

Same car, same scoop, same installation - I hope by some miracle you don't have an issue either.

Archived