TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Replacement

yep, I am in michigan too, you are right about that. the warranty should be extended on this component. i am almost thru 1 year of ownership too. I think the problem here is that the base mustang is ok, but the aftermarket parts like this hood scoop are not validated thru the full testing schedule that the rest of the car is. shelby cars probably trusted the vendor that it was a good part. alot of aftermarket parts are like this, they just get away with it. probably nowhere close to what ford does for testing.

I dont know if anybody else has this issue, the black factory grille surround (the part surrounds the shelby grille) is warped from the sun or heat right next to where it meets the front bumper fascia. I think shelby cuts so much of the material out of this part to attach the shelby grille, the surround structure is compromised. I may get that replaced also, just dont like the dealer yanking everything apart.

+1

My grille is warped too! It's on my list to get it replaced.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We all might want to consider pursuing the Lemon Law, if the scoop issue is not being addressed by Ford or SAI. Let's see what Amy's response is after she speaks to her production manager.

:tequila:

So if we went the lemon law route, what would that do for us? if they cant fix our hood scoop after trying 3 times, we get a new car?

So if we went the lemon law route, what would that do for us? if they cant fix our hood scoop after trying 3 times, we get a new car?

I am not sure what the Lemon Law would mean, however, it may be our only means to legally document defects and create a sense of urgency to get the manufacture to fix the problem.

Hopefully, we won't have to go that route. I am hopeful that SAI steps-up, and fixes the scoop once and for all!

Was involved with lemon law with BMW and my 02 they made thing right and never had problem also extended warranty on parts replaced to make sure no problem it took awhile but state of WI really pushed issue and I got results since then have had no problems just my .02

Mine is in the low 3000's and not so hot. I, too, am sitting on the fence for awhile. My stripes are kind of bad too, but I am kind of scared to have it worked on. I keep picturing a 16 year old kid with a blow dryer sitting on the fender and scraping the old ones off with some kind of putty knife.

or some fat guy with greasy hair and hasnt shaved in a year and with plumber's butt crack sitting on the fender with a big redneck belt buckle and keychains hangin down using a razorblade with a can of beer sitting on the hood

Do you guys have any pics ? Just looked at mine and it looks like it's starting to a little also.

I just took a mediocre picture of the wavy grille surround. its another one of those deals where you are wondering whether the dealership will make it worse if you get it fixed. Looked worse when sitting in the sun this summer. I think the black cars get this problem sooner (maybe) because the color absorbs the heat and the surround then warps. Doesnt seem like the factory GT grille (which this is, with the center cut out) has the same problem. I went looking in the parking lot at a few of the regular 2005 and up GT's last summer and didnt notice a real issue. Has to be something with the structure of the grille being reduced during the Shelby mods. I could be wrong, just a theory. I also was in denial on the hood scoop last summer when the car sat in the sun, I couldnt believe the scoop was warping, sure enough if was!!

post-10850-1201206844_thumb.jpg

post-10850-1201206844_thumb.jpg

I just took a mediocre picture of the wavy grille surround. its another one of those deals where you are wondering whether the dealership will make it worse if you get it fixed. Looked worse when sitting in the sun this summer. I think the black cars get this problem sooner (maybe) because the color absorbs the heat and the surround then warps. Doesnt seem like the factory GT grille (which this is, with the center cut out) has the same problem. I went looking in the parking lot at a few of the regular 2005 and up GT's last summer and didnt notice a real issue. Has to be something with the structure of the grille being reduced during the Shelby mods. I could be wrong, just a theory. I also was in denial on the hood scoop last summer when the car sat in the sun, I couldnt believe the scoop was warping, sure enough if was!!

my car has the same problem. The regular Gts dont, because they are stock grills untouched. My friend bought the overlay to put over his gt grill, and after following directions and cuting pieces out, its starts to wear the outter grill a little and I think, that how we arrive out this wavy grill situation.

my car has the same problem. The regular Gts dont, because they are stock grills untouched. My friend bought the overlay to put over his gt grill, and after following directions and cuting pieces out, its starts to wear the outter grill a little and I think, that how we arrive out this wavy grill situation.

+1

Thanks Khogle, mines not near that bad but i am going to keep an eye on it. The factory Gt grille doesn't have that problem.

We have an 06 GT also and it's fine, but it hasn't been hacked on.

The 2008s have a different grill frame. They have a frame that was built to hold the alluminum grill. The good news is the grill itself for the 2007 and the 2008 are the same and the frame was designed to work with that grill. The grill frame is for sale by Shelby Performance Parts. It is about $100. I called to confirm that it is a direct retrofit for the 2007 grill. It is on my list but I haven't been able to get to it yet because of financials. Look through the downloadable catalog if you don't have a hard copy.

The 2008s have a different grill frame. They have a frame that was built to hold the alluminum grill. The good news is the grill itself for the 2007 and the 2008 are the same and the frame was designed to work with that grill. The grill frame is for sale by Shelby Performance Parts. It is about $100. I called to confirm that it is a direct retrofit for the 2007 grill. It is on my list but I haven't been able to get to it yet because of financials. Look through the downloadable catalog if you don't have a hard copy.

The way the 08's were done is how they all should have been done. If mine warps to bad Shelby can replace it. That's why i bought a new car with a warranty and not an old muscle car.

:redcard:

My 05' Mineral Grey GT had this EXACT same problem and the dealer said "tough" At a car show this past summer I noticed more than a few with the same issue when a guy pointed his out to me and I told him I had the same problem so I was looking. This NOT a SGT problem but a Mustang problem. Some cars may have it and others may not.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.p...719&page=23

-Jeff

I wonder if warranty would cover us for a replacement 08 grille?

:redcard:

My 05' Mineral Grey GT had this EXACT same problem and the dealer said "tough" At a car show this past summer I noticed more than a few with the same issue when a guy pointed his out to me and I told him I had the same problem so I was looking. This NOT a SGT problem but a Mustang problem. Some cars may have it and others may not.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.p...719&page=23

-Jeff

My wifes 06 Gt is perfect so far, had it almost 2 years. Hope it stays that way.

ok...where did Amy's sticky post go about the hood scoops?

I know I wasn't dreaming that I read that ! :banghead:

We changed the permissions on the site around yesterday and lost some of Amy's posts. We are trying to retrieve them, however, if we cannot do that Amy will reply again.

Robert

We changed the permissions on the site around yesterday and lost some of Amy's posts. We are trying to retrieve them, however, if we cannot do that Amy will reply again.

Robert

There was a lot of 411 over there, Robert, sorry to see it all gone. Any chance you could make it available as a "read only" database?

I don't have a dog in this scoop/hood hunt. I like my SGT hood scoop, as imperfect as it may appear from time to time. It's one of the reasons I bought the car, the rivets are very old school, as is the Hurst shifter "cue ball" knob and I love the retro feel of it all. When I was a kid just starting out, we all had to cut holes in our hoods and add "tear drop" style scoops to get clearance for high rise manifolds and larger carbs. With no options back then, we used rivets, or sheet metal screws to tie down the scoop. Lot's of memories and tribute in the SGT, and I believe this is exactly what Mr. Shelby wanted.

Changing over to another hood makes me shake my head in wonder about the affect on value down the road. I don't care what parperwork may document the problem and the fix, but it won't be seen as a genuine SGT anymore. Would a GT-H be that without the gold LeMans stipes?

Archived