TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Replacement

HI Cuda ! Yes..the dash looks great !

Sorry to hear you have the issue "again" with the scoop. I am on scoop #4...........and not done. I think there are more of us with the issue again than publically known. I wasn't going to bring it to the forum, but when the guy started this thread I figured I needed to speak up too. Not sure what to even do with this anymore.

I will be in contact with Bud next week...wanted to give them time to get over the weekend's events .

This "new" design apparently isn't doing the trick...as so many with the fix are having this crease.

I don't get it. Why are some scoops perferect and others are like our's? Does this mean that we have a defective scoop or was the scoop installed incorrectly? My scoop looks like it's getting worse since Monday.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe it was installation at all, at least in my case. They guy that put it on does a ton of rivet work , and followed their instructions to the T.

The crease seems to appear right where the foam insert ends underneath. The crease was minimal when i picked it up ( i could have lived with it), but got worse within a few days. Like I said, it's ashame as the scoop lays perfectly flat now.......soooooooo...back to the drawing board.

I don't believe it was installation at all, at least in my case. They guy that put it on does a ton of rivet work , and followed their instructions to the T.

The crease seems to appear right where the foam insert ends underneath. The crease was minimal when i picked it up ( i could have lived with it), but got worse within a few days. Like I said, it's ashame as the scoop lays perfectly flat now.......soooooooo...back to the drawing board.

I think you are right about the foam piece. I was thinking the same thing that maybe the foam piece may have moved back. Maybe it's just an ajustment of the foam piece?

Alright guys i just went out and took these. I received my car (#5236) the end of Oct. and my scoop hasn't changed from the day i took delivery. While it's not perfect, compared to others i think it is decent, and if it stays the same i won't complain. It's in the teens today although my garage is somewhat warmer.

100_1187.jpg

100_1184.jpg

100_1186.jpg

100_1185.jpg

100_1181.jpg

100_1182.jpg

Alright guys i just went out and took these. I received my car (#5236) the end of Oct. and my scoop hasn't changed from the day i took delivery. While it's not perfect, compared to others i think it is decent, and if it stays the same i won't complain. It's in the teens today although my garage is somewhat warmer.

Very nice!

Mine looks like yours with the new fix. Hopefully it will hold! In fact...hold on, going to run down and look... BRB...

humm....

Well, there is a "slight" dip in the front where the infamous crease develops. Not so bad you can see but I can feel it. It is better than the BIG dip I had in the old scoop.

Guess we'll see how it looks once the summer heat rolls around. I think right now its frozen too hard to move!

:hysterical:

I think that I may be OK with the scoop not being TOTALLY perfect since I kind of look at mine as adding a kind of 60's retro look to the car. Those of us that remember the cars from that era realize that fit and finish were not even close to what we see today.

I didn't buy a 60's car. I bought an 00's car. I expect today's quality levels.

I think you are right about the foam piece. I was thinking the same thing that maybe the foam piece may have moved back. Maybe it's just an ajustment of the foam piece?

Yeah...looking at the full pics I see you do have the dimple in the front top where it ever so slightly gets a depression over time. Mine was great when I bought it but got steadily worse. Not saying yours will, I mean if it hasn't yet, but more important your sides and back look nice and flush.

I guess I am going to make some people angry with me by saying this (and that is not my intention) but I have to ask, why do so many people seem OK with a hoodscoop that is not near perfect on a car that in most case's cost 40K dollars? Is it not something that the manufacturer is obligated to fix properly?

I guess I am going to make some people angry with me by saying this (and that is not my intention) but I have to ask, why do so many people seem OK with a hoodscoop that is not near perfect on a car that in most case's cost 40K dollars? Is it not something that the manufacturer is obligated to fix properly?

I for one am not OK with it. I'm waiting to see what happens.

Has anyone been eligible for the lemon-law action yet?

I am not "ok" with it at all...I am on my 4th scoop.

It was a defiante design issue, they changed the design, and some are still seeing problems. SAI has been working with us on this, but my patience is wearing thin. However, I do love my car, and do hope they will get this right, otherwise, will have to go a different route.

I have a 08 SGT---i think 0261-----

I bought the car on Thanksgiving----

I live in South Florida, and several weeks we had a cold snap--down to like 38 degrees.

Anyway---one night I go outside and look at the car (i would like to put the car in my garage, but i have a Lotus Elise, next to my wife's car, and there is plenty of room for my wife's car with the the Lotus--not so the Mustang----besides between the two the Lotus goes outside)....

Continuing.......Then one night I go outside and marvel how good looking the car is under my driveway lights---even if the sprinklers hit it earlier in the day, and now it has some water spots----

I see a freaking dimple in the scoop that I never saw before ! WTF !

I am thinking to myself----did someone hit it with a basketball what ?

What kind of vandilism hits the center of the scoop and doesn't touch anything else.

I take it to the dealer the next day----asking questions---the service guy sees what I am talking about---I take it to the bodyshop-----no one knows if it should look like that or not ?

Ok----I pass by another dealer with a 08 coupe in the showroom----COOL it has a dimple in the scoop to----ok someone didn't do it. Manufacturing screw up---temperature change or whatever----

I think maybe I can live with it---besides my 15 year old daughter who is learning how to drive with all my cars----(she learned stick in my STI)----she thinks the Shelby is going to be hers---Only if she learns how to drive good.

Anyway---to sum it up---the scoop is not freaking me out anymore----life is too short to have this much aggravation

Maybe one day that might be the only original dimpled Scoop Shelby GT known

Not freaked out by any means, but I do expect it to be right, and as you can see by my pics, mine is not right.

I have seen several of the "new" scoops now with a "minor" crease, I could live with that.

Yeah, I think mine is "minor" and if that's all it does I can live with it. But yours is more than minor. Mine you have to really look and get the light at the right angle, yours jumps right out at you. Let us know what Bud says.

I think that I would like mine better without the darn scoop...

Under $400 will get you a new factory painted hood from NewTakeOff and you can have the stripes applied!

Don't think I haven't already thought of that!

But mine is looking good right now and I have grown quite fond of the look!

-Jeff

my car is 1350, same issue. was ok at delivery 04/2007, got slowly worse over the months exposed to temp changes, etc. I am not sure that you can fasten a plastic scoop on an aluminum hood properly. I am also waiting to see what happens, but I am afraid that I will make it worse.

Boy this problem never end I am on my second scoop almost went to dealer to have rivet fix done after looking at Sdears scoop NO Way and I do not understand how some people say it is ok because it is a Shelby I own a 67 and 69 Shelby and have no poor hood scoop on those cars. I would appear that Shelby is waiting for the warranty tome to expire this is just a POOR attitude for a 40.000 car, I own alot of different makes and hace not had half the problems of the Shelby lets see scoop ,shifter exhaust the list cintinues. I am patient my Shelby has only 300 miles and I have spent alot of time fixing a new car. What is Shelby I believe along with others a RECALL is due I know everyone at Shelby is working on it BUT maybe spend some of Shelbys money and replace ALL scoop with one that is good I have vehicle 113 and laughted when last stop is quality control I work in Scuba and when we build hoses good enouth does not cut it COME on Bus Amy fix the car Bruce

Boy this problem never end I am on my second scoop almost went to dealer to have rivet fix done after looking at Sdears scoop NO Way and I do not understand how some people say it is ok because it is a Shelby I own a 67 and 69 Shelby and have no poor hood scoop on those cars. I would appear that Shelby is waiting for the warranty tome to expire this is just a POOR attitude for a 40.000 car, I own alot of different makes and hace not had half the problems of the Shelby lets see scoop ,shifter exhaust the list cintinues. I am patient my Shelby has only 300 miles and I have spent alot of time fixing a new car. What is Shelby I believe along with others a RECALL is due I know everyone at Shelby is working on it BUT maybe spend some of Shelbys money and replace ALL scoop with one that is good I have vehicle 113 and laughted when last stop is quality control I work in Scuba and when we build hoses good enouth does not cut it COME on Bus Amy fix the car Bruce

Perhaps one recourse on the part of sAI would be to offer a discount towards a new hood, such as the CS6, CS 8, or one of the other optional hoods.

My original scoop is very warped but I do not want to have a lot of rivets placed in the hood etc.

My SGT was sold and delivered in South Florida. In the heat of Florida, my scoop was almost perfect and sat on the hood as it should. Recently, I moved the car to NC to a relatively cold climate and BAM! The scoop started to warp!

I recently was asking members of the forum for information on how to have the hood scoop replaced and from what I read here, I agree, its best to wait.

On this new forum, are there any reviews being made by Amy or Bud? on the old shelby autos forum, they frequently added in a response on a probloem or a fix that was in the works.

I hope that they come up with a fix that makes our cars right. I also agree that for 40k, a simple thing like this hood scoop issue should be rectified.

From the pictures of that buckling looks like the dealership forgot the insert, I would take it back and tell them to redo it.

Amy

Amy,

I had your SAI team replace my scoop on Monday in LV, and I have the same issue as sdear.

Looked at an 08 my dealer got in and it's the same way. They said the other two on the truck also had the crease.

Perhaps one recourse on the part of sAI would be to offer a discount towards a new hood, such as the CS6, CS 8, or one of the other optional hoods.

My original scoop is very warped but I do not want to have a lot of rivets placed in the hood etc.

For a SUBSTANTIAL discount - this would be my choice. Painted, striped, and shipped. Maybe a small price if we wanted to keep the original hood for later "collector" issues.

From the pictures of that buckling looks like the dealership forgot the insert, I would take it back and tell them to redo it.

Amy

Amy..the insert is in there. That is the first thing I asked him. The installer also said it was in there tight, as there is no where for that foam insert to slide . Where the crease starts, is where the foam ends. The foam can't slide as it is fitted to the exact section under the scoop.

Not sure what to do now.

For a SUBSTANTIAL discount - this would be my choice. Painted, striped, and shipped. Maybe a small price if we wanted to keep the original hood for later "collector" issues.

+1000 I am tired of thinking about the scoop...it makes my head hurt. :banghead:

+1000 I am tired of thinking about the scoop...it makes my head hurt. :banghead:

My kids make my head hurt but thats another story.............

I like the hood idea............

I know alot of you can not but, I would even drive to SAI and have it installed (Call it a Mod shop upgrade in the registry), Then have them send the scoop to have Caroll sign it with my CSM number on it, Still pay for the signature for the Foundation. Call it a done deal..................

:headspin:

Amy

Amy,

My car also has a problem, 0862...You will see that I sent you an email Friday evening that I am sure you have read by now. I am waiting to hear what the next step is. This past Thursday the Ford dealership followed the instructions given by the engineering staff at Ford Racing (they spent a good bit of time with them on the phone prior to making the repairs) and I now have a buckling problem with the hood on a 100 mile car. They used the rivets sent to them, the template that was sent etc. I left the car in the bodyshop. I cannot believe that so many people are having this problem and there is not some kind of a recall or something. Before I purchased this car I was concerned and you assured me that this was a simple fix. With that in mind I went ahead and bought the car and now I hear of multiple people that have problems withthe replacement scoop as well. In all due respect we really need some help here, please..

Archived