TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Replacement

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
unless you work for them, I want somebody with authority from that company to post step by step what is going on and when the fix is ready for prime time. my comments are to SAI.

If you're looking only for a response from SAI maybe you should post these questions in Amy's thread?

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showforum=114

This is an open member thread. I'm a member here as well, one with the same issue, and as such I, and anyone else, is free to comment or respond to posts.

++ADDED THREAD LINK

Yes Jeff...actually I do want more info. (and aren't we allowed to ask questions here ?? !! )

I have "heard" through a grapevine..that there is a solution completed. I would like some info posted here.

Not too much to ask. :happy feet:

How did this turn into anyone telling anyone they couldn't post questions? :shrug:

Since we don't have any answers from SAI then "I" will speculate:

1) Still a form of plastic or fiberglass, i.e. not aluminum.

2) SAI is commited to rivets at this point. All the 2008's and some of the 2007's have them.

3) It better!

4) May or June is my guess.

BTW, I have the riveted scoop and the fit is great! The dealer did a good job on the install and did the rivets right with no hood wrinkle, etc. The only issue is the dip in the scoop.

However, I am concerned about getting the next scoop installed because all those rivets have to be drilled out and the holes in the new scoop have to line up with the holes in the hood. Plus there's always a danger of scratching the stripes and hood.

So even if there is an absolute solution to the scoop design there is considerable risk in getting it installed.

BTW, I have the riveted scoop and the fit is great! The dealer did a good job on the install and did the rivets right with no hood wrinkle, etc. The only issue is the dip in the scoop.

However, I am concerned about getting the next scoop installed because all those rivets have to be drilled out and the holes in the new scoop have to line up with the holes in the hood. Plus there's always a danger of scratching the stripes and hood.

So even if there is an absolute solution to the scoop design there is considerable risk in getting ti installed.

+1000000

So even if there is an absolute solution to the scoop design there is considerable risk in getting it installed.

Yeah. Worse I waited for the last fix and had my stripes replaced at the same time so there woudl be no issues there either. Ugh...mine looks great too expect the crease that's forming. More so by the day. I hate to drill it out and redo but I guess there will be no other choice. Wish I had waited now. Life in the fast lane I guess! :headspin:

Well I have seen SGT081235 at a dealer where I got my oil changed two days ago. (Cool csm number btw 1235.) It had the riveted scoop with a nice wrinkle of the stripe under the front pass corner of scoop. Had the big dipper too. I will stick to my 07's bolted and imperfect fit and warping over the big dipper and a wrinkley stripe. bummer for SAI and us... Saw a bullit, not low enough. and a really shiny dash in real life.

i talked to bud at shelby on the 21st and he told me that the scoop will probably be out in about a month.now the good news.you guessed it.the scoop is suppose to be made with the same material as what we have now.can't wait to see where the next dip or crease will show up.i think i will wait on someone else installing this first.i've already had three scoops besides the orginal.the new scoop is suppose to rivet on just like the last one but i might get a bad installer 'i had a good one this last time' and this would make sick.if this were any other car then most of us would probably be trying to use the lemon law.i have never had another car with so much problems with one item.if this does not work then shelby needs to give all of us a new hood without a scoop.

I am in a little different situation than you guys. Don't know what happened with mine but it's pretty good. When sitting in the car you can see a few slight waves down the sides and a very slight dip in the top and i mean very slight. Almost have to look for it. Hood stripes are perfect and not being affected. Got the car in Oct. and i have been watching the scoop closely, and it hasn't changed even with some of the 50 degree temp. changes we have had.

So my dilemma is, do i have mine replaced if this turns out to be the final fix, or leave it alone and hope in a couple years it doesn't start warping, then have a problem getting it taken care of under warranty. I bought a 6 year extended warranty from Ford, but that doesn't have anything to do with the warranty from Shelby. I don't want to get left holding the bag on this one down the road and shouldn't have to. But i have always been one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" guys. I'm really on the fence on this one. Here's some pics which i had previously posted sometime ago. Car #5236

100_1186.jpg

100_1185.jpg

100_1181.jpg

100_1184.jpg

I think if everyone's scoop looked that good we would not be on page 15 and counting!!!!!!!!

The thing that bothers me though, is it going to stay that way with time? I guess what i really would like, is for Amy or someone from SAI to give me a formal commitment that if i leave it be, and a couple years down the road it warps, that they will step up to the plate and do the right thing and warranty it.

I am in a little different situation than you guys. Don't know what happened with mine but it's pretty good. When sitting in the car you can see a few slight waves down the sides and a very slight dip in the top and i mean very slight. Almost have to look for it. Hood stripes are perfect and not being affected. Got the car in Oct. and i have been watching the scoop closely, and it hasn't changed even with some of the 50 degree temp. changes we have had.

So my dilemma is, do i have mine replaced if this turns out to be the final fix, or leave it alone and hope in a couple years it doesn't start warping, then have a problem getting it taken care of under warranty. I bought a 6 year extended warranty from Ford, but that doesn't have anything to do with the warranty from Shelby. I don't want to get left holding the bag on this one down the road and shouldn't have to. But i have always been one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" guys. I'm really on the fence on this one. Here's some pics which i had previously posted sometime ago. Car #5236

I would keep that one. It looks great. I believe we have 3 years on this part so I'm waiting until the really final fix is here.

mine looks like youres does and im thinking leaving it for now and see if i can get the replacement scoop and just put it away so if/when i need it i have it.

I don't know if they will do that. I think if they ship a new one it has to be replaced immediately and the old one returned. Someone correct me if i am wrong.

This doesn't really pertain but as a side note, when i had my scratched hood pin plates replaced under warranty, i told my Ford dealer to get the upgraded billet ones and i would pay the difference. When they called SAI, SAI wouldn't do it. They would only replace them with the same ones. Don't understand that, since i was willing to pay the difference in cost.

I don't know if they will do that. I think if they ship a new one it has to be replaced immediately and the old one returned. Someone correct me if i am wrong.

This doesn't really pertain but as a side note, when i had my scratched hood pin plates replaced under warranty, i told my Ford dealer to get the upgraded billet ones and i would pay the difference. When they called SAI, SAI wouldn't do it. They would only replace them with the same ones. Don't understand that, since i was willing to pay the difference in cost.

you are right. i think the ford dealer has to pull the old one off, install the new one and probably mail the old one back or scrap it after 30 or 60 days. that is the standard practice. you would think shelby would do this differently for collector car people, after all we paid premium pricing for basically a mustang with some add ons. i dont see it so far, pretty much worse than my experience with many other brands actually. i think they should hire somebody that knows customer relations. my .02

you are right. i think the ford dealer has to pull the old one off, install the new one and probably mail the old one back or scrap it after 30 or 60 days. that is the standard practice. you would think shelby would do this differently for collector car people, after all we paid premium pricing for basically a mustang with some add ons. i dont see it so far, pretty much worse than my experience with many other brands actually. i think they should hire somebody that knows customer relations. my .02

I agree with you this has become my worst car experience in my 55 years all over poor quality parts and constant assurences that problem is being fixed I have a concern what happens after warranty is gone the basic Ford Mustang is fine but all of the Shelby add on are fair at most.

I agree with you this has become my worst car experience in my 55 years all over poor quality parts and constant assurences that problem is being fixed I have a concern what happens after warranty is gone the basic Ford Mustang is fine but all of the Shelby add on are fair at most.

Well, all I can say is congratulations to you if your worst car experience in 55 years is this little hood scoop issue!!!

Well, all I can say is congratulations to you if your worst car experience in 55 years is this little hood scoop issue!!!

It has not just been hood scoop that is only problem I could not fix lets see shifter numerous exhaust system repairs repainting black on grille, shelby letters on back stripes enough said this is more than little hood scoop issue I spent the same amount of money on this car that I spent on my BMW m3 2002 no problems I still own cars, I have about 22 cars in my collection and this one has had most problems for new car not Ford issue but SAI

It has not just been hood scoop that is only problem I could not fix lets see shifter numerous exhaust system repairs repainting black on grille, shelby letters on back stripes enough said this is more than little hood scoop issue I spent the same amount of money on this car that I spent on my BMW m3 2002 no problems I still own cars, I have about 22 cars in my collection and this one has had most problems for new car not Ford issue but SAI

Sorry that you've had all those and more problems with yours. Maybe it would be best if you just sell it and enjoy your other 21 cars.

Other than the scoop since there isn't a permanent fix yet, i don't see why the other problems can't be fixed. It's under warranty and won't cost you anything.

Other than the scoop since there isn't a permanent fix yet, i don't see why the other problems can't be fixed. It's under warranty and won't cost you anything.

Again after paying 45000 dollars for this car I have right to expect SAI to live up to their warrenty , and to provide devoted owners with the service the man whos name is on the car would expect and get if he pulled into the Ford dealer with a car...........ZDS

I too have a original hood scoop which is slightly warped and while I’m less than pleased with it I have, so far, elected to wait about a replacement. Your stories of 4 or 5 replacement “fixes” is the reason. Last week I saw a ’08 on the showroom floor with a perfectly flat scoop with the “big dipper” as well as wrinkled stripes around the edges. Hopefully the new “fix” will be a keeper but I won’t be a be in a rush to try it. Part of the reason is my dealer doesn’t have a body shop so my work would have to be performed by the owner's other store which is a Toyota dealership that does have its own body shop. Not ideal in my opinion so…for now I’ll wait.

The idea that we have been offered an option of purchasing another type hood at a 25% discount is ridiculous in my opinion. You buy a $40,000 car with a defective part and you can buy a replacement at a discount! Ain’t happening! I’m sure SAI is trying but I ‘m insulted by an offer to purchase a suitable replacement. Hopefully this will be rectified soon and we can all better enjoy these wonderful cars. And I do admire those of you who've tried several fixes and are still civil with the powers that be :superhero:

Jim

I too have a original hood scoop which is slightly warped and while I’m less than pleased with it I have, so far, elected to wait about a replacement. Your stories of 4 or 5 replacement “fixes” is the reason. Last week I saw a ’08 on the showroom floor with a perfectly flat scoop with the “big dipper” as well as wrinkled stripes around the edges. Hopefully the new “fix” will be a keeper but I won’t be a be in a rush to try it. Part of the reason is my dealer doesn’t have a body shop so my work would have to be performed by the owner's other store which is a Toyota dealership that does have its own body shop. Not ideal in my opinion so…for now I’ll wait.

The idea that we have been offered an option of purchasing another type hood at a 25% discount is ridiculous in my opinion. You buy a $40,000 car with a defective part and you can buy a replacement at a discount! Ain’t happening! I’m sure SAI is trying but I ‘m insulted by an offer to purchase a suitable replacement. Hopefully this will be rectified soon and we can all better enjoy these wonderful cars. And I do admire those of you who've tried several fixes and are still civil with the powers that be :superhero:

Jim

Any one out there think it's time to get together and establish a class action law suit ...............anyone know any legal firms that might find this challenging ?..........................................................................?

Again after paying 45000 dollars for this car I have right to expect SAI to live up to their warrenty , and to provide devoted owners with the service the man whos name is on the car would expect and get if he pulled into the Ford dealer with a car...........ZDS

I don't disagree with you. I was referring to his statement that there were other things beside the hood scoop that "couldn't" be fixed, shifter exhaust etc... B.S.

You paid 45 grand for your car? Whoa

Any one out there think it's time to get together and establish a class action law suit ...............anyone know any legal firms that might find this challenging ?..........................................................................?

PERSONAL THOUGHTS:

You keep going on and on and on about this and now you're soliciting for a class action lawsuit? A lawsuit for something the company is trying to fix? And what exactly would the suit ask for? The company to supply a proper scoop? Oh, wait they're already working on that. :finger: For your pain and suffering? Sorry, can't claim that in a commercial case. They are working on a new version of the scoop to fix the issues exactly what more would you have them do? Hey, if the new scoop comes and it too is messed up maybe we can talk, it will be my 4th scoop, but seriously it's a little premature to go running off the deep end.

MODERATOR THOUGHTS:

That's a very interesting suggestion zdle!

Pastor Passum, I'm sorry to hear about all the problems your having with your Shelby. I'm not trying to make it worse but there is an alignment problem on a lot of these and you did not mention having that issue. If the top of the tire is leaning in then get it checked! If it's out of alignment, they will have to put on camber plates. I'm just telling you this because if you have to put tires on it in 10,000 miles (the inside edge of the front tires will wear out) that will just make your experience worse.

Archived