TEAM SHELBY FORUM

IUP cluster upgrade

Well,

I was right that you can buy the 6 gauge cluster and switch and have it installed by the dealer, but he has to know what he is doing.

I did this last week and the dealer could not get the tire pressure fault to disappear when you start up. So I told him to take it out anf put the old cluster back in. Guess what? Now the tire pressure warning light starts behaving like no symtom described in the shop manual. At start up it would come on for 3 seconds and then blink for 30 seconds before going out. No fault codes would show up.

It took the dealer several days and calls to the Ford tech help before they discovered they had to use a different method to train the tire sensors to the TPMS system. They had to go into the SJB (smart junction box).

So now everything is OK but I spent $320 in labor and parts restocking fees (the good news they took the parts back). However, the dealer now thinks he can make the new cluster work if I want to try again.

Another piece of news is that Ford is coming out with a kit to do this (the dealer found this out when taking to the Ford reps) but it's not quite ready yet. I told the delaer I will wait until the kit comes out and have them do it. Especially since they know how to do it now.

crap and i was goin to have the IUP cluster upgrade done at my dealership....now u got me 2nd guessing :ph34r:

Tell them that if the tire pressure fault code shows in the message center, have them call Ford and get help in retraining the sensors by going into the SJB. But yeah, I'm a little leary of trying it again until there is an official kit.

I had mine replace back in April 07. It was easy. Just order the cluster and the switch in parts. For service, I removed everything except the old cluster, had the tech download the info, replaced with new cluster, and uploaded info. Labor charge was $44.50. Cluster cost $311.66 and IUP switch was $66.56

No issue with TP code. It just took a while for the cluster to figure out when my tank was empty to calc remaining miles. Easy mod and glad I did it. I can dig-up actual part numbers later (currently at work) if needed, along with the info to tell the service tech so he will understand the process.

I had mine replace back in April 07. It was easy. Just order the cluster and the switch in parts. For service, I removed everything except the old cluster, had the tech download the info, replaced with new cluster, and uploaded info. Labor charge was $44.50. Cluster cost $311.66 and IUP switch was $66.56

No issue with TP code. It just took a while for the cluster to figure out when my tank was empty to calc remaining miles. Easy mod and glad I did it. I can dig-up actual part numbers later (currently at work) if needed, along with the info to tell the service tech so he will understand the process.

It would be great if you could find that stuff because the techs out here (San Diego), no matter what dealership I talk with, have absolutely no clue where to start. Thanks, in advance. Jim

The following worked for my 07SGT. Your mileage may very and all mods are done at your own risk. I had no issue as this is actually an easy mod when your service department understands how to download and upload your cluster data.

First thing's first: Check behind your dummy switch and make sure your harness has the plug for the IUP switch. I've been told some vehicles do not have them. Mine did. It must be there or the conversion will not work (switch controls the new cluster options and settings).

Order switch 4R3Z*10D889*AAA (~$66.56)

Order cluster 7R3Z*10849*GA (~$311.66)

Make sure you get the MPH cluster and not the KPH (Canadian unit). Also make sure the part department show it to be the 140MPH set (not the V6 unit). Your part # for the cluster may be different.

There is a core fee for the old cluster. If I remember correctly it was $300.00, but your parts department should credit you when service guy gives them the old cluster for return to Ford Cluster Center.

You give your mileage to the parts department during order. I did not drive my car until it came in so mileage would be exactly correct. The mileage on the new cluster is pre-set from the Cluster Center and cannot be changed.

Your service department will need access to a laptop with WDS or possibly NGS+. My dealer has WDS. Have the service guy download your original cluster flash data, disconnect battery, take out old cluster, install switch and new cluster, and upload flash data to communicate with PCM. Basically it's just a re-flash of the new cluster. There is a service document that your dealer can refer to, but I did not write down the document number for future reference, sorry.

Pay the man and you're done. Enjoy. I had mine done on 04/20/07 and not one single issue except that it took about 2 tanks of fuel to get the cluster's "estimated miles to empty" correct. No big deal.

The following worked for my 07SGT. Your mileage may very and all mods are done at your own risk. I had no issue as this is actually an easy mod when your service department understands how to download and upload your cluster data.

First thing's first: Check behind your dummy switch and make sure your harness has the plug for the IUP switch. I've been told some vehicles do not have them. Mine did. It must be there or the conversion will not work (switch controls the new cluster options and settings).

Order switch 4R3Z*10D889*AAA (~$66.56)

Order cluster 7R3Z*10849*GA (~$311.66)

Make sure you get the MPH cluster and not the KPH (Canadian unit). Also make sure the part department show it to be the 140MPH set (not the V6 unit). Your part # for the cluster may be different.

There is a core fee for the old cluster. If I remember correctly it was $300.00, but your parts department should credit you when service guy gives them the old cluster for return to Ford Cluster Center.

You give your mileage to the parts department during order. I did not drive my car until it came in so mileage would be exactly correct. The mileage on the new cluster is pre-set from the Cluster Center and cannot be changed.

Your service department will need access to a laptop with WDS or possibly NGS+. My dealer has WDS. Have the service guy download your original cluster flash data, disconnect battery, take out old cluster, install switch and new cluster, and upload flash data to communicate with PCM. Basically it's just a re-flash of the new cluster. There is a service document that your dealer can refer to, but I did not write down the document number for future reference, sorry.

Pay the man and you're done. Enjoy. I had mine done on 04/20/07 and not one single issue except that it took about 2 tanks of fuel to get the cluster's "estimated miles to empty" correct. No big deal.

My Ford dealer did something wrong and said he couldn't download original cluster flash data. I think that's what caused my problems. For some dealers, they need specific instructions or, it appears, they can't do it.

Archived