TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fastest Shelby GLHS Charger on the Planet

JamesL

Here is a pic (I'm looking for more) of the fastest Shelby GLHS Charger on the planet. We sponsored this car for the 2006 NHRA season and during the race season he used our shop as a home base. The owner/builder/driver Stephane Beauregard from Canada built this from the ground up. Its running a 2.2l 16v turbo motor on 10.5 slicks. Best time so far 8.04 at 180MPH. We finsihed third in the points against the big dog sponsored cars and had to miss a couple of events.

post-12603-1200500682_thumb.jpg

post-12603-1200500714_thumb.jpg

post-12603-1200500793_thumb.jpg

post-12603-1200500682_thumb.jpg

post-12603-1200500714_thumb.jpg

post-12603-1200500793_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic (I'm looking for more) of the fastest Shelby GLHS Charger on the planet. We sponsored this car for the 2006 NHRA season and during the race season he used our shop as a home base. The owner/builder/driver Stephane Beauregard from Canada built this from the ground up. Its running a 2.2l 16v turbo motor on 10.5 slicks. Best time so far 8.04 at 180MPH. We finsihed third in the points against the big dog sponsored cars and had to miss a couple of events.

Hi James, I've seen video of some of the runs.. You should post those too.

Doesn't make the SMP car any less cool but the Simple Digital Systems website pegs that car as an 85 Shelby Charger.

The turbo Dodge community sure would like to see more of that car James, IIRC Stephane was as high as 3rd in the points standings for hot rod class. Think you can help get it back to the track for '08 :happy feet: ?

Alan

Doesn't make the SMP car any less cool but the Simple Digital Systems website pegs that car as an 85 Shelby Charger.

The turbo Dodge community sure would like to see more of that car James, IIRC Stephane was as high as 3rd in the points standings for hot rod class. Think you can help get it back to the track for '08 :happy feet: ?

Alan

Stephane allways called it a GLHS so I just assumed it was. Where is that mentioned on the SDS site? I'd like to see some sponsorship money from them. At the time we took over sponsorship it was no longer referred to as the SMP car, it was the FWDP car. If we do get him back on the track it will again become the FWD Performance car. While things didn't work out for 2007 because of the immigration issues, 2008 is looking better. Unfortunetly there is still much red tape in process.

Hi James, I've seen video of some of the runs.. You should post those too.

Well, this is one I made while trying to learn some video editing software. Its pretty low quality and when I get some time I'll go back and do it better. This is a pass He made with the car and he almost lost it. I attempted to take video from the inside camera and time it with video from an outside camera to show what it looked like in the car going sideways at 180 MPH. I know I would have crapped my pants.

Well, this is one I made while trying to learn some video editing software. Its pretty low quality and when I get some time I'll go back and do it better. This is a pass He made with the car and he almost lost it. I attempted to take video from the inside camera and time it with video from an outside camera to show what it looked like in the car going sideways at 180 MPH. I know I would have crapped my pants.

Killer. I haven't seen that one. Thanks.

The engine is a 2.2 Dodge, not import based in anyway. Shelby did the R&D on the engine years before production. It was supposed to go in a 90 CSX like Shelbys birthday car (which James and Cindy own I hear) but chrysler was whining about shelby by that time. So the 16v shelby engine powered R/Ts later. I heard rumors that one thing that split up Shelby from Dodge is that they wanted Shelby building imports. The first one being a SOHC 3.0 turbo, which there were 3 built. Shelby not getting into imports makes me more proud to own my Shelby Dodge.

post-11184-1200800714_thumb.jpg

The car had an 8v engine in it before the 16v, same type 8v 2.2 the GLHS had and the car ran a 8.9. I myself am more impressed with the 8v engine, took a lot more work. No body going to bring up the hurting it put on the Mopar Performance sponsered SRT 4 and SDAC? :hysterical2:

post-11184-1200800463_thumb.jpg

The engine is a 2.2 Dodge, not import based in anyway. Shelby did the R&D on the engine years before production. It was supposed to go in a 90 CSX like Shelbys birthday car (which James and Cindy own I hear) but chrysler was whining about shelby by that time. So the 16v shelby engine powered R/Ts later. I heard rumors that one thing that split up Shelby from Dodge is that they wanted Shelby building imports. The first one being a SOHC 3.0 turbo, which there were 3 built. Shelby not getting into imports makes me more proud to own my Shelby Dodge.

The car had an 8v engine in it before the 16v, same type 8v 2.2 the GLHS had and the car ran a 8.9. I myself am more impressed with the 8v engine, took a lot more work. No body going to bring up the hurting it put on the Mopar Performance sponsered SRT 4 and SDAC? :hysterical2:

:happy feet: 8.9 with an 8v head.... WOW. I didn't know that.

• 3 weeks later...
:happy feet: 8.9 with an 8v head.... WOW. I didn't know that.

I was told on TD that it ran a 9.0 or 9.1 with 8v's, close enough. The "car" is much better though now I would bet and would most likely go 8s with the old engine hooking better.

How's the FWD race car going? Still hoping to get my GLHS down there for you to work my trim cal. Should be an easy 400 WHP with the 72lb injectors cindy sold me. I want a GTK 450 turbo, are they making them with a TD turbine yet? Need the snow to go away so I can get the car finished.

Rob

Yep, Shelby Charger, but still waaaaay cool even if it not an "S"! ;) There are TONS of pics and several videos of the SMP Charger in turbo-mopar.com gallery:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopos...ery.php?cat=579

0141.jpg

There are many photos of this car on the SDAC website.

To get there, click on the SDAC logo located here on the TS site (thanks again Mr and Mrs. Lane), or manually head to sdac.org.

Once there, click on the 'Photos' link, than SDAC-16 Car Show Pics and move to pages 4 and 5. There are plenty of pictures there.

Archived