TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Airbag Cover Removal

Does anyone have the instructions for removing the passenger airbag cover?

Just got home from work and decided to remove the cover to send for the autograph. Came to my computer to print them from the "other forum" as I had the topic saved, which included pictures, in favorites only to find the site has been closed. :banghead: The instructions I had saved were very informative. I hope to get the cover removed today. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Now to the Garage.

If you need any help let me know. I am very experienced in this area. All you need is a 7 and 8 mm socket and quarter inch drive. I would also recommend a small flat head screwdriver for the connector pin on the air bag to depress the pin. Disconnect the battery first. Then, for easier access. Remove the glove box. There are 4 -7mm screws. Disconnect the pin. Remove the 2 - 8mm screws holding the airbag module to the frame. You can then begin pushing from the rear side of the cover to release the 6 plastic pins by pushing outward and then the 4 side clips. Grab the module from the rear and push outward. It should release and the module and cover are attached. The cover is held on by hook type clips and you will be able to see how they release. Installation is just as simple and should take you no more than 10 min.

Thanks ross for the instructions and 07SGT4648 for the inspiration. I had trouble removing the connector pin and after 35 min. of messing with it I had to walk away. Im the kind of guy that when I cant figure something I start getting impatient and usually breaking things is a result. Do you have anyother advice of removing this pin? Im gonna try a lil more tonight. You mentioned the screwdriver and I tried that but, I have broad shoulders and its sort of hard to get down and see exactly how the pin comes out.

I sure hope the installation is a lot easier. Dont wanna spend 3 days installing it too.

07SGT4648, what ever happened with your CSM#? If I remember right your the one with 4648 on the in car plate and 4646 in the engine compartment? Ever figure out how that heppeded and did 4646 have 4648's engine plate? Did you leave it the way it was or have it changed?

There is a locking clip on the front/ top side of the pin (hard to describe, but when you are laying upside down, it is toward the firewall). Slide the small screwdriver inside the connector in the center , that will release the clip and allow the connector to come apart. Leave the screwdriver in place until the plug slides out or it will re- latch. Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone for the advice, help and inspiration. My wife is actually the one who was able to get down there and disconnect it. I guess it helps bein 5-3 120 compared to 5-11 240. After 3 days my airbag cover in now in UPS's hands on its way to the CSCF as of 1300 today. Cant wait for finished product.

Until then...:tequila:

Anyone know what people are using to seal the signature to keep it from rubbing off? I read on the other site where people were spraying something over it lightly a few times and then putting good a coat on the cover to protect the signature.

I cant wait till they bring all the other posts from the other forum so I can stop asking these questions that have been answered 100 times.

Thanks

Reino

If you look at my avator it is a signed shelby visor. I protected with a rustoleum product clear spray matt finish...turned out great...only cost $3 at Home Depot. However, caution here to tape off all areas you do not want sprayed and use in light coats...puts on a great finish but is not noticeble. Good luck. Steve

I have been comtemplating the protection issue but decided not to on the air bag cover. Mine is the brushed aluminum finish. I don't want to take the chance of not matching the finish. On the visor and other parts I say yes to what Steve mentioned. You can see that Mr. Shelby will sign on the top part which will be partially protected from UV due to the dash overhang. He does sign with Sharpie permanent ink markers. I doubt that anyone would clean there interior with a harsh chemical to damage the signature. Then, you never know. But I have also seen glove box doors he signed 20+ years ago with no protection and they still look great. I think in the end it becomes choice.

understood. I wish I could get my hands on a piece of dash from another car and try it out. Not to discredit mrhugger but Id like to see the finished product with the protection before I decide to do it. Well see when it gets here. Im so excited, just checked and the package is scheduled for delivery today. That should mean in about 2 weeks Ill have it. I feel like a kid.

Hopefully Ill have my new back ordered hood pins by then. As long as it took me to take the airbag out, the pins will probably take me a few weeks.

Does anyone have the instructions for removing the passenger airbag cover?

Just got home from work and decided to remove the cover to send for the autograph. Came to my computer to print them from the "other forum" as I had the topic saved, which included pictures, in favorites only to find the site has been closed. :banghead: The instructions I had saved were very informative. I hope to get the cover removed today. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Just got my airbag cover back, with Mr Shelby autograph and the year of my Shelby "2007" It's a pice cake, Just follow the direction from the attached form and use an 8mm socket not 7mm

Just got my airbag cover back, with Mr Shelby autograph and the year of my Shelby "2007" It's a pice cake, Just follow the direction from the attached form and use an 8mm socket not 7mm

The hardest part was unpluging the airbag connector. I couldnt get my arms up there to unplug it so the wife volunteered and did a fine job.

How did you guys package your airbag cover for shipping to CSCF ? UPS doesn't take the best care of packages often stacking heavy objects on lighter ones. Did you mark it "Fragile" and use an oversized box ?

I put mine in a box measuring approx 14"L x 10"H x 12"W. Then wrapped it in a soft towel with bubble wrap next and finally peanuts. I was pretty satisfied with the wrapping job I did. I marked the item as breakable on the UPS shipping paper and insured it. I dont know why I insured it as I only insured it for $150 and I dont think that would begin to replace it. I wasnt thinking obviously. Total cost of everything including the shipping and insurance was about $20. Should be getting it returned with a signature this week, I hope.

I would not of felt right marking it "Fragile" as that is reserved for "major awards". Sorry, I love that movie! :doh:

Ive now had the flu for about a week but today seem to be all good news. I got a phone call from UPS about 30 minutes ago saying a package will be delivered tomorrow requiring a signature. Its the hood pins I ordered about a month ago. Then no more then 5 minutes later UPS show up at my door with a package. It was my Airbag Cover with the signature. Luckily Im starting to feel better and Im off this weekend so it seems this may be a weekend with the Shelby. Im so excited.

Ive now had the flu for about a week but today seem to be all good news. I got a phone call from UPS about 30 minutes ago saying a package will be delivered tomorrow requiring a signature. Its the hood pins I ordered about a month ago. Then no more then 5 minutes later UPS show up at my door with a package. It was my Airbag Cover with the signature. Luckily Im starting to feel better and Im off this weekend so it seems this may be a weekend with the Shelby. Im so excited.

How long did it take you to get the cover back ?

We want pictures when you are done ! :happy feet:

• 3 weeks later...

Ok i have didcided to go with the passenger air bag rather than the sun visor!

because my car is parked in the back of a garage with 2 other cars blocking it there is no way of getting the air bag cover off at this point in time. <_<

So i have decided to order the air bag cover and send it out!

I have searched the net trying to find the price and part number for this item

I have IUP with the silver finish.

ny question is How much will the part cost and what is the part number?

thanks any help is greatly appreciated :D :hyper:

Ok i have didcided to go with the passenger air bag rather than the sun visor!

because my car is parked in the back of a garage with 2 other cars blocking it there is no way of getting the air bag cover off at this point in time. <_<

So i have decided to order the air bag cover and send it out!

I have searched the net trying to find the price and part number for this item

I have IUP with the silver finish.

ny question is How much will the part cost and what is the part number?

thanks any help is greatly appreciated :D :hyper:

I think you may be out of luck. The exterior cover is apparently NOT a FRU (Field Replaceable Unit) but only comes attached to a replacement Air Bag unit, cost is somewhere around $800.

If you find otherwise please update us!

Meanwhile, mine were received at CSCF Friday.

Archived