TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why not a vert?

150man

I've had an 05 GT vert for a little over a year now. Never had a vert before. Now, I can't imagine life without one. There's something extra special to drop the top and let the wind and the exhaust noise in. It's very cool IMO.

Now, I understand that the verts are heavier and aren't as aerodynamic as the hard tope, but if you're not racing them, who cares?

The other think might be the extra cost, but if you can afford a $41,000 car then an extra five thou shouldn't stand in the way. I'd say the extra cost is well worth it.

Once in a while you come across a vert that handles as well as a hard-top,

but, most don't, and according to reviews I've seen, it would include

this one. Would that stop me if I really loved the body style of a vert

on this car??? No!!! But, I am getting a coupe just the same, plus I LOVE

the Shelby Stripes over the top of the car!!!

KingCobra.

I just prefer the fastback looking roofline of the hardtop in the new body style. I liked verts in previous body styles, but in this body it just doesn't look quite as retro as a hardtop.

I do prefer the look of the coupe with the factory stripes, but, I'm not gonna race it either so a vert is what I need to get maximum pleasure.

I am in the same boat with an 05 vert and can not imaine not having one now. I like the look of the hard top but figure by the time I throw a whipple and other upgrades on the vert then I'll b fine. Not that I'll race it but sometimes at the light or on the open road you know you want that extra power :)

hat being said if I can figure out how to hold onto the 05 and fit a shelby into the garage and not get into too much trouble with my wife for the growing toy collection I may go for the hard top. I like the looks with the top up of the Hard top, but that top down feel rules....and as long as it isn't a hard top at the light next to you in the vert. even a vert will pull fineoff the line :)

I am in the same boat with an 0 vert and can not imaine not having one now. I like the look of the hard top but figure by the time I throw a whipple and other upgrades on the vert then I'll b fine. Not that I'll race it but sometimes at the light or on the open road you know you want that extra power :)

hat being said if I can figure out how to hold onto the 05 and fit a shelby into the garage and not get into too much trouble with my wife for the growing toy collection I may go for the hard top. I like the looks with the top up of the Hard top, but that top down feel rules....and as long as it isn't a hard top at the light next to you in the vert. even a vert will pull fineoff the line :)

The coupe has the look of a Shelby...... vert is an also ran look- a-like of most other makes out there!

But it's like this, whatever floats your :titanic:

I don't like being a voice of reason...But...give your insurance folks a call first and ask if there would be a penalty for the Vert.

I've had 7 or 8.

What I've found is that most of my wives never - ever - wanted the top down. It's a "hair" issue.

Another thing is - which version would you prefer to roll over in?

Sorry for the buzz kill, fellas. :happy feet:

I don't like being a voice of reason...But...give your insurance folks a call first and ask if there would be a penalty for the Vert.

I've had 7 or 8.

What I've found is that most of my wives never - ever - wanted the top down. It's a "hair" issue.

Another thing is - which version would you prefer to roll over in?

Sorry for the buzz kill, fellas. :happy feet:

One more thing to think about. You will never open track or quarter mile the vert at any sanctioned/insured event unless you want to ruin the car will a full cage inside.

While I will never 'race' mine, never being able to open track the car at sanctioned events was a clincher for me. I've had verts in the past and they were fun but whats the point in a car this fast if the governing bodies say its not safe on the track as built?

Besides, the number of top down days in Houston is prettly limited.

love the sound of my 06 exhaust with the top down and my kids love the top down also.

Fastback looks better no doubt. Having a hard time with this one small decision. The glass back option looks kinda nifty, but would probably cook the occupants. Not sure what to do.

One more thing to think about. You will never open track or quarter mile the vert at any sanctioned/insured event unless you want to ruin the car will a full cage inside.

While I will never 'race' mine, never being able to open track the car at sanctioned events was a clincher for me. I've had verts in the past and they were fun but whats the point in a car this fast if the governing bodies say its not safe on the track as built?

Besides, the number of top down days in Houston is prettly limited.

Now that's giving me pause for thought. I didn't know that. I *was* thinking about running it at a track for fun sometime.

Once in a while you come across a vert that handles as well as a hard-top,

but, most don't, and according to reviews I've seen, it would include

this one. Would that stop me if I really loved the body style of a vert

on this car??? No!!! But, I am getting a coupe just the same, plus I LOVE

the Shelby Stripes over the top of the car!!!

KingCobra.

Actually Carroll Shelby himself said that the convertible with the extra weight towards the back made the convertible in this body style handle better than the hardtop. Something about more even weight distribution.

Modifications? Well I think my convertible is going to find its way to Shelby America for " a rollbar and racing harnesses and some other goodies "

You think Carroll Shelby will throw a KR on the car for me when the modifications are done?

The other think might be the extra cost, but if you can afford a $41,000 car then an extra five thou shouldn't stand in the way. I'd say the extra cost is well worth it.

$41,000 is the cost for a decked out GT including tax and license 36,800 X 10%. You guys still think it will be close to the MSRP? That aside and not to hijack the thread, I think the Verts look great in either GT or GT500.

Here its mostly to dang HOT for some times of the year but, other times I think it would be great to hit the switch at the stop light and let the top down. Does anyone else think the other car fumes and noise would be a problem?

I've never had a problem with fumes, but I live in a rural town of about 1500. No stop lights even. :D

Fumes have never really been an issue for me. I ride a Harley as much as I can in summer and even that i have not had an issue with. I like the vert if I have to trade in my O5 to make the purchase price realistic. If I can keep that then I will opt for the hard top based on looks. I suspect that due to cost and garage space it will be a vert. i likely will never see a track unless there is a sponsored event to go play on one. I can suffer through the look of the top up on the vert since I will never take it out of the garage on non-top down type of days :)

Archived