TEAM SHELBY FORUM

boss motor in hot rod magazine

bull

small tid bit in this months hot rod magazine about upcoming boss motor..article does go on the say the bulging hood on 2009 f150 and 2010 stang is a direct result of this motor...lets hope so..anybody with this month issue please scan in the article i would like to see..

The blurb states that the Hurricane has a 4.5" bore center. Bores diameters of 4.25" and more are entirely possible. For the record the famous 427 Fords were 4.23" bore and the 427, 454 chevies were 4.25" bore.

The engine looks like a Modular block, you know Y-block, dry valley, same bell housing flange etc. I think they said CGI material. The heads are aluminium SOHC's. The valves are lined across the bores but not directly opposed, much like the old 2.0 2.3 four bangers. Beehive springs, but no rocker arms in the pics. Can't tell exactly what sytem they will use. Probably similar to the 3- valve Modular's configuration.

O.K. so now we have what we need. Big unshrouded bores for better breathing. A greater bore to stroke ratio that will allow lower decks for the displacement size. I'm glad to see Ford sticking with this basic design. We will soon see all the V8 OHC knowledge payoff to potential. I think this engine will send the competition back to the drawing boards. The American OHC V8 finally have everything with no compromise. My friends this is going to be like being able to a 427 SOHC with vast refinement in a production vehicle.

i cut and pasted this tidbit from over at blue oval news..(have to give credit) so those are not my words..sound real interesting and would still like to see the hot rod artice myself..guess i gotta buy an issue

Thanks for posting that...

...so, no net-new news, but I certainly agree with your assessment for the potential for this engine -- especially in the out-years since we now know Ford's GDI is compatible with 4V DOHC (per their EcoBoost announcements last week) ...truly exciting stuff with great potential!!

In a way it's like when the modular first went in production... and the 4V came out but only went in the Lincoln... for years on end all I could think was WHEN WILL THE MUSTANG GET IT? Now we have to wait all over again :banghead: Hopefully, this time around it's a MUCH faster ramp since it's mostly now-poven tech in a new wrapper -- a few years maybe? ;)

Come on, Ford... we're not gettin' any younger!! :hysterical:

Archived