TEAM SHELBY FORUM

why the huge appearance change on 18/20 kr wheels?

ford4v429

I really like the 20" wheel as well and when I heard there was going to be an 18" version, I figured that would be the wheel for me! What a disappointment. I do not like the 18" version at all. It lost all its style when they downsized it. It almost looks like they took the 20" wheel center and cut the spokes to fit into an 18" rim!!! It looks terrible IMO. Here are a couple of pics I took at the Birthday Bash last week. :banghead::banghead:

I totally agree, tispco. Hopefully, SAI will rethink this 18" design. I think that the 18" would look much better if they had kept the slimmer taper of the spokes at the rim as with the 20" size on the GT500KR prototype (see below).

post-6490-1200933291_thumb.jpg

post-6490-1200933291_thumb.jpg

As far as the wheels are concerned, it is not rare that the actual production car gets smaller wheels than the prototype its based on.

but the production wheels are available in both 20 and 18...we're currently running both sizes. I just really wish the spokes would have extended to the lip like on the 20(kinda a stretch to even see the 'fang' shape on the 18) and more of a recessed center section- the 20 has some depth, the 18 looks flush. as pics are out now maybe I'll see if I can find a side-by-side pic.

Like someone mentioned farther back up a 20 styled 19 would be sweet- but tire sizes might be limited...I'd heard the delay on 18s was something to do with the tire size availability, but all heresay...dont matter now. I hope those fortunate enough to get ahold of a KR dont get raped by the dealers too bad.

wonder if it would be profitable for Shelby to offer over the counter parts(like ford did with the 427ohc back in the '60's)...if they gould sell the gt500 engine/computer flash/tranny/driveshaft as a package, I bet they could do pretty well...and could sell direct without the ADM crap, keeping more of the profit where its deserved. I really frosts my behind that with all the great contributions Mr Shelby has made, he gets less out of his flagship than someone that only 'wins' the right to sell at astronomical profits by luck...I really feel it would only be marginally right if ADMs required 3 way split- dealer/ford/shelby- dealer still getting more than deserved over the top of decent MSRP profits, but at least some of those that put the effort into bringing these future legends to the public would get their due. maybe out there SOMEWHERE is a dealer that might return a percentage to the Shelby organ donor charity, but I doubt it...if they would a LOT of the hubub about ADMs would wane, and they might actually get a little very hard to come by respect- but I wont hold my breath.

any dealers out there- HINT HINT :)

These rims are very similar to my BOSS series ones I have on my CS6 and I'm sure mine are a lot less money...

When I originally purchased my CS6 components they only offered the Razor wheels in Gunmetal grey which didn't work for me at all with a Performance white convertible so I purchased something else.

I found these Boss series rims 20 X 10 rear, 20 X 8.5 front and installed them....

REMEMBER HOWEVER......THEY ARE NOT FORGED RIMS WHICH REALLY DRIVES PRODUCTION COST UP BUT...

If your not racing the car and you would like something very similar these would be a great alternative.........

I have had more compliments on the rims alone over the past year or so you wouldn't believe....and not one person has ever asked if they are Shelby rims or not.

I sent SAI photos of the car two years ago with these rims and it is very surprising how similar the new ones are considering the Boss rims have been offered for about three years.

Just providing another option should the need arise...

These rims are very similar to my BOSS series ones I have on my CS6 and I'm sure mine are a lot less money...

When I originally purchased my CS6 components they only offered the Razor wheels in Gunmetal grey which didn't work for me at all with a Performance white convertible so I purchased something else.

I found these Boss series rims 20 X 10 rear, 20 X 8.5 front and installed them....

REMEMBER HOWEVER......THEY ARE NOT FORGED RIMS WHICH REALLY DRIVES PRODUCTION COST UP BUT...

If your not racing the car and you would like something very similar these would be a great alternative.........

I have had more compliments on the rims alone over the past year or so you wouldn't believe....and not one person has ever asked if they are Shelby rims or not.

I sent SAI photos of the car two years ago with these rims and it is very surprising how similar the new ones are considering the Boss rims have been offered for about three years.

Just providing another option should the need arise...

Could you post some pics of those on your car on maybe a link so we could see what your talking about. Thanks.

thanks for the pictures svtbirb91. i am in the minority here but i really like them. if they offer a 18x9.5 & 18x10.5/11.0 it is going to be awfully hard for me to pass on these.

Is this the spoiler from the Taurus? Seems familiar somehow... :headscratch:

I like the GT500 spoiler better, and the 20" wheels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

check out the wheel / tire set up on Knight Rider's "KITT"

go tp "jalopnik.com" and look at the detailed photos

20" alcoas wearing Nitto 555's

saw the car in manhattan

stopped traffic dead in its tracks

these must be 20x10 rear & 20x9 front

widest rear set up i've ever seen

i'm going with this set up on my gt-h

check out the wheel / tire set up on Knight Rider's "KITT"

go tp "jalopnik.com" and look at the detailed photos

20" alcoas wearing Nitto 555's

saw the car in manhattan

stopped traffic dead in its tracks

these must be 20x10 rear & 20x9 front

widest rear set up i've ever seen

i'm going with this set up on my gt-h

The rears are 275/35/20s and look PERFECT.

I'm still trying to figure out the size of the fronts.

Gallery located here: http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/kittbrooklynexterior/

Archived