TEAM SHELBY FORUM

why the huge appearance change on 18/20 kr wheels?

ford4v429

I will be buying them if they are available to us in 18's :headspin::headspin:

I'd thought the same till I saw one...seeing them sitting side by side to a 20 its a little fugly to me...I love the look of the 20, but dont care for the 'big wheel' look, was hoping the 18's would be similar, just smaller. I'm sure they'll look better after polish/durabrite, but I think the 20's will always be a cleaner design... to me the flat lip around the 18's almost makes it look like some kind of a beadlock offroad wheel or something...we're also running a lamborghini wheel-I heard they take like 6 freaking hours in the 5 axis mills to do the face work- the rears are cool as heck, but the fronts look funny...

I'd thought the same till I saw one...seeing them sitting side by side to a 20 its a little fugly to me...I love the look of the 20, but dont care for the 'big wheel' look, was hoping the 18's would be similar, just smaller. I'm sure they'll look better after polish/durabrite, but I think the 20's will always be a cleaner design... to me the flat lip around the 18's almost makes it look like some kind of a beadlock offroad wheel or something...we're also running a lamborghini wheel-I heard they take like 6 freaking hours in the 5 axis mills to do the face work- the rears are cool as heck, but the fronts look funny...

C'mon take a photo if u can, haven't seen one yet :waiting:

Wow, I like the look of my car better.

Is that the KR everyone is drooling over?

I don't like the wheels, they are not terrible, but I would not consider them any better looking than the stock GT500 wheels. The tires look same as ours as well, nothing larger or stickier.

Also those mufflers look terrible, almost pre-production.

The V-6 spoiler on the back, no thanks, I already had a 99 Cobra with a V-6 hood, I don't like when they do that. I am shocked they did it on the KR.

So in conclusion, the only thing this car has that I and many would like is the hood. I can live with that

Ahhh, I feel much better now, that thing is not worth the dough IMO

I don't like the wheels, they are not terrible, but I would not consider them any better looking than the stock GT500 wheels. The tires look same as ours as well, nothing larger or stickier.Also those mufflers look terrible, almost pre-production.

The V-6 spoiler on the back, no thanks, I already had a 99 Cobra with a V-6 hood, I don't like when they do that. I am shocked they did it on the KR.

So in conclusion, the only thing this car has that I and many would like is the hood. I can live with that

I will still reserve judgement untill I see them in person . I do believe they will perform better than the 20's though.

I agree I don't like that spoiler either it changes the look of the rear of the car .....not for the better either plus I doubt it is functiional either.

The front is killer though...love the hood with the letters across the front and the twist down pins too. The vents look better painted the same as the car also.

Thank you for the photos, I stand corrected I thought those were the Redlines, they are the ALCOA's. The big thing I would like to do is start lightening up the heavy beast and if the 20's are so much more lighter than the stock, I'd love to see how much lighter the 18'S are. Maybe some one can chime in here, would there be a performance difference running the 20's vs the 18'S as long as they are lighter than the stock wheels? I'm sure we'll end up paying 2,000. for the 18'S just like 20in ALCOA's cost.

Thank you for the photos, I stand corrected I thought those were the Redlines, they are the ALCOA's. The big thing I would like to do is start lightening up the heavy beast and if the 20's are so much more lighter than the stock, I'd love to see how much lighter the 18'S are. Maybe some one can chime in here, would there be a performance difference running the 20's vs the 18'S as long as they are lighter than the stock wheels? I'm sure we'll end up paying 2,000. for the 18'S just like 20in ALCOA's cost.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't offer the 18" wheels for sale, like they aren't going to offer the hood.

I say we start a campaign to get Alcoa to make the wheels in 19", and exact in appearance to the 20". I think 19's would be perfect on our cars. That being said, I'd take the 20" Alcoas over these 18's any day. It's a tough call for me now, of the current options, whether to go with the 20" Alcoas or the CCW SP20 wheels in 19"...

I don't like the wheels, they are not terrible, but I would not consider them any better looking than the stock GT500 wheels. The tires look same as ours as well, nothing larger or stickier.

Also those mufflers look terrible, almost pre-production.

You said it Chuckstang? Just think, Maybe 500 RWHP if your lucky stock for near $100,000, or maybe higher. IMHO, I think this marketing gimmick is a joke. This package should be a $2995 upgrade available on any GT500.

Oh Yeah! The hood is cool and the two little KR's are too. :dreamy:

Only nice view is from the front. The sides and the rear are terrible. The car really looks like a V6 with that spoiler and those rims dont look as nice as stockers. The CS-6 mustang looks alot better than that and they are expecting to get about 100K for these. Good luck filling the orders. Id rather have a regular GT500.

I'm not sure on weight, but think the 18 'feels' heavier? the spokes on the 20's are so thin, yet the 18's are kinda chunky...like someone mentioned a few posts above, I think they are right on- a 20" copy in 19" diameter would be a great option. not everyone's a big fan of ultralow profile tires, and for performance reasons the increased mass farther from center can hamper things like 1/4 mile times...I think the WK^2 inertia is more important than the overall weight - on the ultralows, you have the rim mass out where the air usually is plus the beadseats of the tires(heaviest part) are farther out...

Oh well, some love the 20" tire look, some dont...the 20 is a very pretty wheel(a 10 on a 1~10) and the 18 I'd give a 5... on a mustang though to me a 20 is just a bit too little sidewall looks wise.

My ideal Shelby would have the KR hood and the regular GT500's spoiler. As far as the wheels are concerned and based solely on the pics, The 20' Alcoa lok better than the 18' IMO.

By the way, does anybody know if the changes to the wheels and spoiler compared to the NY Auto Show prototype were dictated by any kind of performance consideration or is there some other reason? As far as the wheels are concerned, it is not rare that the actual production car gets smaller wheels than the prototype its based on. As far as the spoiler is concerned, I have a tougher time figuring that one out.

My ideal Shelby would have the KR hood and the regular GT500's spoiler. As far as the wheels are concerned and based solely on the pics, The 20' Alcoa lok better than the 18' IMO.

By the way, does anybody know if the changes to the wheels and spoiler compared to the NY Auto Show prototype were dictated by any kind of performance consideration or is there some other reason? As far as the wheels are concerned, it is not rare that the actual production car gets smaller wheels than the prototype its based on. As far as the spoiler is concerned, I have a tougher time figuring that one out.

The article at http://forum.teamshelby.com/index.php?cate...2_articleid=218 states:

"The GT500KR’s aerodynamics were fine-tuned to add 50 pounds of downforce over the front axle and move the center of aero pressure forward in the vehicle to improve high-speed balance and downforce under high-speed braking. A new front splitter design works with the hood and revised rear spoiler to deliver these benefits. The bottom line: the GT500KR sets new performance standards for Mustang handling and straight-line performance on the racetrack, slalom course and skidpad."

:)

The article at http://forum.teamshelby.com/index.php?cate...2_articleid=218 states:

"The GT500KR’s aerodynamics were fine-tuned to add 50 pounds of downforce over the front axle and move the center of aero pressure forward in the vehicle to improve high-speed balance and downforce under high-speed braking. A new front splitter design works with the hood and revised rear spoiler to deliver these benefits. The bottom line: the GT500KR sets new performance standards for Mustang handling and straight-line performance on the racetrack, slalom course and skidpad."

:)

Thanks, I missed that one. Just wish they could have found another way to generate the right amount of downforce.

I really like the 20" wheel as well and when I heard there was going to be an 18" version, I figured that would be the wheel for me! What a disappointment. I do not like the 18" version at all. It lost all its style when they downsized it. It almost looks like they took the 20" wheel center and cut the spokes to fit into an 18" rim!!! It looks terrible IMO. Here are a couple of pics I took at the Birthday Bash last week. :banghead::banghead:

post-3252-1200888261_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1200888394_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1200888261_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1200888394_thumb.jpg

I really like the 20" wheel as well and when I heard there was going to be an 18" version, I figured that would be the wheel for me! What a disappointment. I do not like the 18" version at all. It lost all its style when they downsized it. It almost looks like they took the 20" wheel center and cut the spokes to fit into an 18" rim!!! It looks terrible IMO. Here are a couple of pics I took at the Birthday Bash last week. :banghead::banghead:

They must have put the 20's back on it right before the auction. Look at the 2nd photo from the Auction different wheel than at the Bash.

post-11313-1200898213_thumb.jpg

post-11313-1200898236_thumb.jpg

post-11313-1200898213_thumb.jpg

post-11313-1200898236_thumb.jpg

Archived