TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 crash

GT500Tow

Anybody know who this is ? It sure hurts to watch.

That was me. I'm fine, and the car is fine as well. New front bumper, AC condenser, heat exchanger, radiator, chin spoiler, and skid plate. Not too bad considering. Lots of things caused the accident, but there was no frame damage. She's back on the road and will soon be back on the track. I am switching to 16" wheels out back and some 28" slicks, instead of the 17s.

Poorly prepped track, overcorrection, pinion angle, and dew all played a part in the wreck, but lesson learned on what to do if she gets loose on me again.

Jay

Sorry to hear about your car Jay. Glad you're OK and she's back on the road. That video definitely makes you cringe.

And welcome to the boards! You'll find a lot of useful information & advice here.

-Pig

That was me. I'm fine, and the car is fine as well. New front bumper, AC condenser, heat exchanger, radiator, chin spoiler, and skid plate. Not too bad considering. Lots of things caused the accident, but there was no frame damage. She's back on the road and will soon be back on the track. I am switching to 16" wheels out back and some 28" slicks, instead of the 17s.

Poorly prepped track, overcorrection, pinion angle, and dew all played a part in the wreck, but lesson learned on what to do if she gets loose on me again.

Jay

Welcome Jay, I found this video here in Fla. Its funny how fast info gets around on the net. It didn't look like you hit real hard but I did suspect the frame would be damaged. But that's good to hear and the fact you wasn't hurt. It's easy to lose one with this much HP and no traction. I've seen many accidents, so don't worry about it. Just work on making it hook up and go have some fun this time. Tim

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement.

I was surprised myself that the frame was not damaged. The airbags didn't deploy either. It was a little costly, but I know now how to keep that from happening again...!!!

Jay

Jay could you answer this for me I've see 3 or 4 videos of the same thing, is it the power & traction in 3rd is so strong? Here is a video of another member here Bill Clements it looks like doing the same exact thing, but looks like he recovered it?

Very glad to hear you are ok...that's a relief. YOu mentioned you now know what to do if it gets loose...could you share with us what you learned so that we can benefit from your experience? Thanks again and glad things came out with no serious repercussions.

Dave

Well here's the thing. The biggest problem I had was that there were so many factors that played a part in the wreck. First, the pinion angle was at +2. Now I don't have a ton of experience racing, but I know that's bad! I never rechecked it after swapping the UCA.

I ran 17x9" wheels with MT ET Streets (26"). One of my tires had a leak in it, but I didn't realize it then. Another mark against me.

Someone mentioned that they never saw the brake lights. Well I was afraid that if the tires caught, with the speed I was still going, I would have flipped the car. Whether that is true or not I don't know, but that was my fear.

The track I ran at is not the greatest, and there are a few small bumps in the lane. Considering I have recently purchased a bumpsteer kit, I would say that the jerk that occurred was bumpsteer as well. That was a result of lowering the car 1" in the front and then swapping the K-member. I'm installing the bumpsteer kit tomorrow.

I'll be running her again soon but I want to take as many issues out of the equation as possible beforehand.

Bottom line, make sure your car is good to go first, then I would say to definitely let off and maybe feather the brake until you can get control of it if it happens to you. Once again, I'm not the most experienced racer, obviously, so I'm sure someone else can probably give better advice than I. But, to my credit, I have raced my car at the track stock, and I always ran her again after every upgrade that I made. I didn't just install a bunch of stuff and then go straight to the track. I'll keep yall posted once I get back out there again. And since I have more plans in store for her, I gotta get out there and get it right. Thanks again for everyone's well wishes and support and encouragement.

Jay

Archived