TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm Out

Ponyboy

I'm out. Dealer called this morning and said I could have the car for $69k and change (msrp coupe plus options + 25k ADM). I told him no thanks, and that if he gets one next year that he wants to sell at or close to MSRP I'll consider it. But 69k is just too rich for a Mustang, including this one. At that price I could get something much better, faster etc. I've already bought from this dealer and while I expected some ADM I did not expect him to be such a pig. Come to think of it, I don't see why I should ever do business with him again, and I'm going out to the garage to take his license plate bracket off my 05 Mustang GT!

I'm out. Dealer called this morning and said I could have the car for $69k and change (msrp coupe plus options + 25k ADM). I told him no thanks, and that if he gets one next year that he wants to sell at or close to MSRP I'll consider it. But 69k is just too rich for a Mustang, including this one. At that price I could get something much better, faster etc. I've already bought from this dealer and while I expected some ADM I did not expect him to be such a pig. Come to think of it, I don't see why I should ever do business with him again, and I'm going out to the garage to take his license plate bracket off my 05 Mustang GT!

Good for you! That is one greedy dealer!! I got mine for $1,000 over invoice - thanks to my powerlease, but my dealer (Don Reid Ford, Maitland, Fl) said he was charging $7,500 over sticker for reg buyers.

He might sell that first one for $25k ADM, but chances are exceedingly high that he won't be able to maintain that level. In fact, given the availability of cars for less than that, I'm surprised he's that high. My guess is he's spending too much time on Ebay.

So, just wait around a bit and let every "friendly" dealer in your area know you're interested but that you're not part of the "absolutely have to have it now" crowd. Then stay in touch. You'll get the car you want...and for a lot less than $25k ADM.

(...by "friendly," I mean the ones that seem well aware that the prices will come down. I've had several dealers in my area offer up that I should wait and they'll put me on their list contact me as prices come down.)

I've spent a lot of time on this issue because I was originally in the "pay whatever it takes" camp. I even got wife approval for $20k ADM. But, after a lot of conversations with dealers and stepping back from emotion to analysis, I became an MSRP buyer. As a sidenote, if you don't have MSRP locked up already, I don't think there's a chance you'll find that deal out there for a 2007.

I agree! I have a dealer here in Wyoming in which I've bought half dozen vechicles from over the years. I signed up for the Shelby 14 months ago, promissed MSRP or below and it was agreed. Now, they are telling me they want $15,000.00 over invoice! I told them that was great for them, bad business and a promise that they would lose a good customer and probably a few more after I spread the word. For that price I can buy a C-6 corvette, Porche was some other sports car that will certainly outperform the 4000 lbs Mustang(without mods). It is no wonder the US Auto Makers are losing market share at an unprecidented rate. Double digit gains for Toyota and Honda while the US share continues its negative decline. I am just livid that I've wasted my time waiting for this car to be screwed in the long run. It's just one more nail in the coffin for US automakers.

If Ford and other US Auto Makers want to play this game of gouge the comsumer, Ill be a loyal foriegn auto fan in the future! Ford, Chev and Chrysler, your not the only ride in town!!!!

I agree! I have a dealer here in Wyoming in which I've bought half dozen vechicles from over the years. I signed up for the Shelby 14 months ago, promissed MSRP or below and it was agreed. Now, they are telling me they want $15,000.00 over invoice! I told them that was great for them, bad business and a promise that they would lose a good customer and probably a few more after I spread the word. For that price I can buy a C-6 corvette, Porche was some other sports car that will certainly outperform the 4000 lbs Mustang(without mods). It is no wonder the US Auto Makers are losing market share at an unprecidented rate. Double digit gains for Toyota and Honda while the US share continues its negative decline. I am just livid that I've wasted my time waiting for this car to be screwed in the long run. It's just one more nail in the coffin for US automakers.

If Ford and other US Auto Makers want to play this game of gouge the comsumer, Ill be a loyal foriegn auto fan in the future! Ford, Chev and Chrysler, your not the only ride in town!!!!

Hue, they just don't get it. For 30 years, I've been watching them die a slow death. They keep poking themslves in the eye with a sharp stick and telling everyone it hurts.

Don't give up!Glad you did not give in to your dealer but ther are plenty more even a little out of the way and i'm sure you will find a better deal.BEST OF LUCK :party: :happy feet: :bandance:

how many times do we have to say it. Its not ford its the dealers. If you read the powerpoint presentation they are doing everything they can to get the dealers to not gouge. Think about it. Ford gets a price per unit. I hate to tell you on every other ride in the inventory they are a bargain for what you get.

Roger

As I understand it, FoMoCo is monitoring how much each dealer is selling their 500's for, and those dealers who do not follow Ford's recommendation that they should not gouge their customers, will have their next allocations cut dramatically, and they will be placed at the bottom of the shipping order for what they do get.

Aparantly, Ford advised the dealer network something like " you can either make a bunch of money on a few cars now, or make a fair amount on each and get a bunch of cars in the long run".

Obviously, some/most of the dealers don't give a crap about Ford's threat. Hopefully, Ford will carry out their threat and hack their future allocation's down to one car each.

And according to the latest article from the 5.0 Mag, Ford intends to build 8,000 to 10,000 units for the next three years. So the smart dealers that manage to contain their greed now and just get a fair mark-up for each 500 they get, will their rewards by having loyal, long-term customers that will spend money on other Ford vehicles, not to mention the future revenue that will be generated out of their service department from those same loyal customers.

I guess that it just remains to be seen what happens next....

Thanks guys for the info and encouraging words. I'm going to take a multi-track approach. I'm going to look around -- or more likely wait around -- for a better deal. But I'm also going to see what else is out there. The dealer's quote to me this morning got me thinking of alternatives in the 65k-75k price range, and I spent some time this morning taking a hard look at the Z06. I even solicited some price quotes over the internet. We'll see . . . . I like Ford and I love 'Stangs, but enough is enough. Its hard to be brand-loyal when the dealers - the face of Ford for most average folks - are trying to gouge their customers. Its too bad, Ford has enough problems.

Hue, they just don't get it. For 30 years, I've been watching them die a slow death. They keep poking themslves in the eye with a sharp stick and telling everyone it hurts.

Hate to break the news, Ford is getting full price, it's the dealers making this extra profit, not Ford

Well, I'm hedging my bets. I plunked down a deposit on a ZO6. The dealer has a list and I'm due up in the spring of 07. I have it in writing that it will be to my specs and that he will not sell above sticker.

Between now and then, I'll still keep my ears and eyes open for a GT500, but I'm just not as confident as some of you guys that the pricing is going to settle down so quickly, if ever. So GT500 or Z06 - I'll get my hands on one of them in due time. Until then I'll just enjoy the 05 GT. Good luck everybody with your quest to get a GT500. Ford is lucky to have such dedicated group of enthusiasts.

Well, I'm hedging my bets. I plunked down a deposit on a ZO6. The dealer has a list and I'm due up in the spring of 07. I have it in writing that it will be to my specs and that he will not sell above sticker.

Between now and then, I'll still keep my ears and eyes open for a GT500, but I'm just not as confident as some of you guys that the pricing is going to settle down so quickly, if ever. So GT500 or Z06 - I'll get my hands on one of them in due time. Until then I'll just enjoy the 05 GT. Good luck everybody with your quest to get a GT500. Ford is lucky to have such dedicated group of enthusiasts.

Wise decision! It's nice to see people not cave into the dealers bs markup on a not so "limited" car.

Considering you're a Ford/Mustang person have you ever considered the Saleen S281Extreme or Parnelli Saleen for similar $? They are both very limited, will hold good value, and offer great performance.

You can't go wrong with the Z06 though. A friend of mine got his for msrp and took delivery of it in December. I've driven it a few times...and love it.

Wise decision! It's nice to see people not cave into the dealers bs markup on a not so "limited" car.

Considering you're a Ford/Mustang person have you ever considered the Saleen S281Extreme or Parnelli Saleen for similar $? They are both very limited, will hold good value, and offer great performance.

You can't go wrong with the Z06 though. A friend of mine got his for msrp and took delivery of it in December. I've driven it a few times...and love it.

Thanks Broeli - that's a good tip. I have heard/read good things about both and maybe its time to take a serious look.

Just took another look at the Parnelli and the other Saleens. Generally I'm not really into the Saleen styling but man that Parnelli is hot. I hope I see one of those on the street one day. And there only making 500 max - truly limited production! I love that interior. Curious as to where in the 50s the pricing will end up.

Archived