TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 Clutch and Tranny Thread

Joker45

I just climbed out of mine. It's nearly worn out. :rolleyes: I have 160km which is about 100 miles on it now. After reading all this stuff I was paying attention to clutch/tranny. Everything seems fine on mine. No grinding no difficulty in shifting into any gear. Of course it hasn't gone far enough yet but I'll be watching now. Mine was only built on December 3rd, so it should be ok.

Don

Don,

Apologize Don, wasn't trying to be rude,just break the ice.

Brought work talk home and was trying to be just one of the guys.

Looks like our cars could be close in serial numbers.

Ours was built on Dec 3rd also.

Red GT500 convertible, stripe delete,nav.

Randal.

Well I did a little test the other day when it was nice and cold outside... Seemed like that

when it was cold was when I would get the issue of it grabbing when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Well over a two day period I tried different amount of warm up time. 5 min 8 min and 12 min.

Once I did the 12 min warm up on a very cold day 35 degrees outside... I didnt have any grabbing

on the initial shift from 1st to 2nd. It was nice and smooth like it should be.

Thought Id share the new info.

I have the exact same symptoms with my July 2007 build 08. Additionally I have always felt this clutch was slow to react when shifting really fast (even when warmed up). Suspect this clutch/input shaft design is not the best for fast shifting. Maybe the new 8175B trans helps with this but I wonder how much if any.

I personally would like to see the clutch hub & input shaft nickel plated along with the tolerance increase of the 8175B.

Grabber was your new clutch hub nickel plated? Am I correct that the originals were not nickel plated?

Wonder what clutch/input shaft design is used in the Vette & Viper?

I thought the '08s came with a 5yr 60k mile powertrain warranty - doesn't that include the tranny?

Basic 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.

Free Maintenance N/A

Drivetrain 5 yr. / 60,000 mi.

Roadside 5 yr. / 60,000 mi.

Rust 5 yr. / Unlimited mi.

Basic Warranty: The basic warranty covers everything except items that are subject to wear and tear or replacement in the ordinary course of vehicle ownership, such as oil and air filters, wiper blades and brake pads. Tires and batteries are often excluded, but usually have their own warranty provided by the manufacturers of those items. Emissions equipment is required by Federal law to be covered for five years or 50,000 miles.

Drive Train Warranty: In some cases the drive train warranty continues after the basic warranty has expired. This part of the warranty covers most of the parts that make the vehicle move, including the engine, transmission, drive axles and driveshaft. Like the basic warranty, "consumable" parts such as hoses and belts are not covered. However, most of the internal parts of the engine, such as the pistons and bearings, which are also subject to wear and tear, are covered by the drive train warranty.

I paid an additional $860 at the time of purchase for a Ford extended warranty.

Premium care bumper to bumper - Everything covered for a full 7 years or 60,000 miles.

You can still buy it if you are worried. It will cost you $1190 now off this linky:

http://www.discountfordwarranties.com/search.php

Vehicle Make Ford Vehicle Model Mustang

Vehicle Mileage 12,001 to 36,000 miles Vehicle Age between 12 and 36 months

4 x 4 or All Wheel Drive No Supercharger No

Snowplow No Commercial Use No

Plan PremiumCARE Deductible $100 Deductible

Covered Miles* 60000 Covered Years* 7 yrs.

First Day Rental Protection No First Day Rental $0

Road Hazard Tire Protection No Road Hazard Tire Protection $0

DISCOUNTED INTERNET PRICE $1190

Archived