TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 Clutch and Tranny Thread

Joker45

Okay,

I'm starting this thread because of all of the issues with the 2007 Clutch and Transmissions. My 2008 should be here in a few weeks and after reading the other threads it seems to be pretty much limited to 2007 MY. I did read a post by Big Slick who just got his a month or so ago and said that he had some shifting problems in the cold one day even after a 4 minute warm up.

I realize that the lube on the output shaft that was started during the installation process in June 2007 seems to have fixed the problem for 2008. But I would like to see if this is reality, people not speaking up or me missing their posts.

One of the main reasons that I need to know is that I'm getting my car Super Snaked and plan on going with the 725+ HP package. Well as you all know, this voids the warranty and I could just imagine that I would get the package done and then 2 weeks later I would have some sort of issue with the clutch or tranny. This just would not be good. As I understand that a new clutch and tranny with installation will run well over $7500.00.

So please post in here if you have had any problems with your 2008 GT500 clutch or transmission.

Thanks.

Well, I can say this much, I do not have a lot of miles on my 08, nor do I drive it like a 16 year old. No racing, no burnouts (ok maybe a few little ones) and no track time. I have read about the issues with the 07's, and several other issues that I can not relate to a MY, and thus far I have to say, I do not have ANY of the issues or even the symptoms on my car. Call it luck, call it low miles, but it is what it is and thus far, nothing! Everything seems to function 100% as expected.

Sorry, not much help, but I think (at least from my experience) that my 08 is very solid.

Okay,

I'm starting this thread because of all of the issues with the 2007 Clutch and Transmissions. My 2008 should be here in a few weeks and after reading the other threads it seems to be pretty much limited to 2007 MY. I did read a post by Big Slick who just got his a month or so ago and said that he had some shifting problems in the cold one day even after a 4 minute warm up.

I realize that the lube on the output shaft that was started during the installation process in June 2007 seems to have fixed the problem for 2008. But I would like to see if this is reality, people not speaking up or me missing their posts.

One of the main reasons that I need to know is that I'm getting my car Super Snaked and plan on going with the 725+ HP package. Well as you all know, this voids the warranty and I could just imagine that I would get the package done and then 2 weeks later I would have some sort of issue with the clutch or tranny. This just would not be good. As I understand that a new clutch and tranny with installation will run well over $7500.00.

So please post in here if you have had any problems with your 2008 GT500 clutch or transmission.

Thanks.

Now that is has warmed up outside.. I havent noticed the grabbing between 1st and 2nd gear..

After seeing all the issues the 2007's had with this I made sure I got the extended warranty in case

something should show up down the road.

Wow going with the 725hp package huh? What is the HP upgrade on the Super Snake that still keeps

the warranty intacked ? Was it 600hp ?

Well, I can say this much, I do not have a lot of miles on my 08, nor do I drive it like a 16 year old. No racing, no burnouts (ok maybe a few little ones) and no track time. I have read about the issues with the 07's, and several other issues that I can not relate to a MY, and thus far I have to say, I do not have ANY of the issues or even the symptoms on my car. Call it luck, call it low miles, but it is what it is and thus far, nothing! Everything seems to function 100% as expected.

Sorry, not much help, but I think (at least from my experience) that my 08 is very solid.

I heard you won't have any problems if you Pussy Foot the accelerator.

HSURB :hysterical2::hysterical2:

Big Slick,

Good choice on the extended Warranty. I did the same on mine. 7 year ford Extended warranty.

Mine:

EXPIRATION DATE: 03/08/2014

DISTANCE: 60,000

In regards to the clutch & Tranny on MY2007 & MY2008, this info pops up for both years 07 & 08 on my Oasis report that was run today.

SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGES

19920 2007-2008 SHELBY MUSTANG GT500 - HISS NOISE FROM CLUTCH DURING ENGAGEMENT

SOME 2007-2008 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "HISS" NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE DURING CLUTCH ENGAGEMENT. THE HISS NOISE IS MOST NOTICEABLE DURING INITIAL ENGAGEMENT OF THE CLUTCH IN 1ST AND/OR REVERSE GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED WHEN THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING CONTACTS THE PRESSURE PLATE AND FLY WHEEL METAL SURFACES. THE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/16/2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19922 2007-2008 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH CHATTER

SOME 2007 - 2008 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "CLUTCH CHATTER" DURING INITIAL TAKE-OFF OF THE VEHICLE WHEN THE TRANSMISSION IS HOT. THE CLUTCH CHATTER MAY BE PRESENT IN 1ST AND/OR REVERSE GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING. THE CLUTCH CHATTER HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/16/2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19802 2007-2008 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH SERVICE TIP

2007-2008 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH AND TRANSMISSION SERVICE TIP. WHEN SERVICING THE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY OR TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY ON A SHELBY GT500, APPLY A SMALL AMOUNT OF MOTORCRAFT PTFE LUBRICANT (PART NUMBER XG8 OR D2AZ-19590-A) TO THE SPLINES OF THE CLUTCH HUB. THE LUBRICANT ON THE CLUTCH HUB SPLINES WILL ENSURE THAT THE CLUTCH WILL NOT BIND ON THE TRANSMISSION INPUT SHAFT, ENSURING PROPER CLUTCH OPERATION.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 06/07/2007

Now that is has warmed up outside.. I havent noticed the grabbing between 1st and 2nd gear..

After seeing all the issues the 2007's had with this I made sure I got the extended warranty in case

something should show up down the road.

Wow going with the 725hp package huh? What is the HP upgrade on the Super Snake that still keeps

the warranty intacked ? Was it 600hp ?

Well that's good to hear.

Getting an extended warranty and then getting the SS package would be a waste of money as I'm sure that's out the window also.

thanks for the replies so far.

Knowledge is power! :D

Well that's good to hear.

Getting an extended warranty and then getting the SS package would be a waste of money as I'm sure that's out the window also.

thanks for the replies so far.

Knowledge is power! :D

I hear ya Joker.. If it were me I would go with the 600hp SS upgrade. If I were going to do that. That way you'd still have a warranty...

But if you dont have any concerns about the extra $$ if something breaks then Go For It :happy feet: :happy feet:

Do they make any changes to the clutch or tranny with the SS upgrade?

Yup I thought it was a Bargain !!! for $1700.00 Bucks got the

6 Years / 75,000 Miles

Im going to be watching mine closely but at least have 6yrs of protection of It gets really bad.

Only when it was COLD ( below 45 degrees ) did it grab between 1st and 2nd and require a little

extra to put it down into 2nd. Instead of the smooth feeling muffled click.... click it was more like a Click...then

a Deep Grabbing clump sound when going into 2nd.

But once warmed up say after 10 mins things seemed to be much smoother. Havent noticed it at all when

putting it into reverse. YET.. LOL

So does my attempt at a description of the sound and feel.... Does that sound similiar to what alot of 07's had ???

Big Slick,

Good choice on the extended Warranty. I did the same on mine. 7 year ford Extended warranty.

Mine:

EXPIRATION DATE: 03/08/2014

DISTANCE: 60,000

I hear ya Joker.. If it were me I would go with the 600hp SS upgrade. If I were going to do that. That way you'd still have a warranty...

But if you dont have any concerns about the extra $$ if something breaks then Go For It :happy feet: :happy feet:

Do they make any changes to the clutch or tranny with the SS upgrade?

I've thought about going the 600 package route just for the warranty. No I don't have a crap load of money to replace stuff if it breaks. So if the clutch and Tranny go out then my car will be down for awhile till I can save up enough to get it fixed. One thing that makes me feel better about getting the 600 package is that EVO has really cranked up the power with the TVS. Maybe Shelby will offer something like that down the road for TVS owners.

I would rather just go for the gusto though and get the 725 package and be done with it.

:o

Mine has a bump and grind effect, and a delay before I can put it in gear unless I wait for the clutch to dissengage. I see you have a grab fetish. :hysterical:

I do If I have something good to Grab a hold of :hysterical::hysterical:

yeah it is kinda hard for me to describe it.. feels like it runs into a speed bump and

have to pull with just a little more force to get it into 2nd. Im guessing when it hits the bump

that extra tenth of a second or so to apply the xtra force give time for the clutch to finish dissengaging ???

My Wife like me better if I had the bump and grind fetish like you, instead of just the Grabbing fetish... :hysterical2:

So I'm guessing by this thread that there are no real issues for the 2008 Clutch and Tranny?

That's good to know.

No problems at all on mine after 500 miles Joker, although i hear the hissing everyone mentions when I pull in to the garage, but I thought it was just the snake under the hood! :hysterical2:

No problems at all on mine after 500 miles Joker, although i hear the hissing everyone mentions when I pull in to the garage, but I thought it was just the snake under the hood! :hysterical2:

Thanks DubbsFaris.

I'm looking forward to hearing mine hiss! :snake:

I've been driving mine a bit lately, in temperatures down to the mid-30's with no problems or issues whatsoever (other than that the Goodyear F1's turn into stone under 40, and I spin them no matter how gently I try to take off).

I've come to really enjoy the hiss of the clutch when I'm pulling into/out of the garage. :snake:

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm just about at 800 miles on the car.

Joker, I only have 400 miles but have not been babying it at all. No issues and no hiss that I can hear.

No issues and no hiss that I can hear.

It better be hissing. That is the sound of the hydraulic plates moving into and out of engagement. I bet you have it. It can be difficult to hear, unless you are close to something that can reflect the sound back to you.

I just climbed out of mine. It's nearly worn out. :rolleyes: I have 160km which is about 100 miles on it now. After reading all this stuff I was paying attention to clutch/tranny. Everything seems fine on mine. No grinding no difficulty in shifting into any gear. Of course it hasn't gone far enough yet but I'll be watching now. Mine was only built on December 3rd, so it should be ok.

Don

I just climbed out of mine. It's nearly worn out. :rolleyes: I have 160km which is about 100 miles on it now. After reading all this stuff I was paying attention to clutch/tranny. Everything seems fine on mine. No grinding no difficulty in shifting into any gear. Of course it hasn't gone far enough yet but I'll be watching now. Mine was only built on December 3rd, so it should be ok.

Don

Hi guys no issues with mind 08, hiss in 1 st.No grinding or hard shift spots. And never babied Drive it like I stole It. I only have 800 miles but she hisses like a snake and strikes quick!!!!!!!

Okay,

Thanks.

I HAVE 3455 ON MY 2008 AND THE ONLY PROBLEM IS CLUTCH CHATTER WHEN GOING UP THE SMALL INCLINE IN MY DRIVEWAY TO GET INTO THE GARAGE. IT'S PROBABLY ME FEATHERING THE DARN THING FOR FEAR I'M GOING TO GO THRU THE BACK WALL OF THE GARAGE HOWEVER AS I THINK ABOUT IT IT HAPPENS AT STOP LIGHTS . I HAVE THOUGHT THEY WERE BOTH ME TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE A 6 SPEED AGAIN.

I HAVE 3455 ON MY 2008 AND THE ONLY PROBLEM IS CLUTCH CHATTER WHEN GOING UP THE SMALL INCLINE IN MY DRIVEWAY TO GET INTO THE GARAGE. IT'S PROBABLY ME FEATHERING THE DARN THING FOR FEAR I'M GOING TO GO THRU THE BACK WALL OF THE GARAGE HOWEVER AS I THINK ABOUT IT IT HAPPENS AT STOP LIGHTS . I HAVE THOUGHT THEY WERE BOTH ME TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE A 6 SPEED AGAIN.
Understad inclines but in Louisisns land is flat so have not had any chatter to speak of yet!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did a little test the other day when it was nice and cold outside... Seemed like that

when it was cold was when I would get the issue of it grabbing when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Well over a two day period I tried different amount of warm up time. 5 min 8 min and 12 min.

Once I did the 12 min warm up on a very cold day 35 degrees outside... I didnt have any grabbing

on the initial shift from 1st to 2nd. It was nice and smooth like it should be.

Thought Id share the new info.

500 miles so far, no problems with tranny or clutch. I drive mine likes its stolen. Road in front of my house has tread marks from popping it into 2nd and flooring it. Had a good laugh today when I realized it was me leaving those tread marks. (Btw..it's a 60mph speed zone I'm speeding up on..not a residential area..just for the record).

500 miles so far, no problems with tranny or clutch. I drive mine likes its stolen. Road in front of my house has tread marks from popping it into 2nd and flooring it. Had a good laugh today when I realized it was me leaving those tread marks. (Btw..it's a 60mph speed zone I'm speeding up on..not a residential area..just for the record).

LOL, What did you think it was some crazy kids messing around in front of your house? :hysterical:

Archived