TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Dakota Owners?

shelbyconcepts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
#230 in North FL

Im rebuilding the front end and doing the brakes right now. Anyone know where to find the brake calipers?

The brake calibers are stock Dodge Dakota parts. Any parts store should be able to help you out.

Just tell them you have a 1989 Dodge Dakota Sport with the 3.9 V-6 engine and you will get the correct calipers for a Shelby Dakota.

Steve

The brake calibers are stock Dodge Dakota parts. Any parts store should be able to help you out.

Just tell them you have a 1989 Dodge Dakota Sport with the 3.9 V-6 engine and you will get the correct calipers for a Shelby Dakota.

Steve

Thanks I finally got it figured out and everything put back together. By the way they put the 4x4 brake hoses on the front not the short ones.

#230 in North FL

Im rebuilding the front end and doing the brakes right now. Anyone know where to find the brake calipers?

The Shelby Dakotas need a few upgrades if your doing any rebuilding. The springs are V6 junk, they are 1" + lower up front because they are crushing the V6 springs. I add the Eibach Pro Kit springs and fix this, a dramatic improvement in handling and braking. The later 96' larger V8 sway bar is a dirt cheap junk yard buy, the Shelby had a V6 tiny sway bar. The engines were moved back over an inch without making the rear driveline shorter. This impacts the pinion bearings in the rear end. check the drive line for straight and have it shortened a inch. Mine also destroyed the overdrive impacting. Go up to a larger overdrive rear section from a A518. The Shelby got the low duty v6 trans, you can change the rear OD without removing the trans from the truck. Also do the OD bearing upgrade to make the OD quieter. I added poly A arm bushiongs and 2" drop blocks to my truck and a 360 TBI and KYB gas adjust shocks. They were a V6 truck with a big engine, today with the magnum trucks plentifull you can get all the ungrades pretty cheap.

Rob

Rob

Do you know if the Eibach springs are still available?

Chrysler no longer has any of the 1991 V8 springs so it looks like I need to go aftermarket.

Steve

all of the V8 springs raise the truck. You have to buy a V8 spring made to lower it an inch lol. Hmmm, looks like they aren't coming up. That really sucks, should call them and do a part locate, there may be some on a shelf collecting dust somewhere. They are incredible on the Shelby Dakota, but not enough people must have bought them. They get rid of body role, and nose dive under braking. The trucks feel heavy because of how they push, with these springs they stop pushing and the trucks feel lighter to drive. Crying shame if they're gone for good.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried to find springs a year ago and found nothing. Even tried to find aftermarket parts store springs and nothing.

Found a spring company that would make them but as usual the minimum order was too much $$

Steve

Pohl springs in Spokane WA makes custom coils to but are $250 a pair. But I don't know the spring rate and height of the Eibachs though, or the stock ones so custom won't be fun.

Archived