TEAM SHELBY FORUM

V6 to a CS 6

musela

Hi, All.. I'm new here... and basically, just about new to the Mustang community. I've always loved the Mustang and I finally got one. BUT, I bought a '05 V6 a few months after they just came out. I really wanted the V8, but I didn't want to pay $11,000 more. Plus, I was looking at gas prices and it was going to be a daily commuter, etc., etc...

Anyway, I've known about the CS 6 upgrade, but have yet to find a price for the whole kit and kaboodle (parts & labor) and who can do that sort of thing close to where I live (Central Texas).

I'm wondering if I should even do it. I mean, it's not like I'm going to race it, but for some reason, I just want more power. Don't get me wrong, the V6 has get up and go, but I want to "GO!" haha..

Right now, my baby is stock except for the Flowmaster muffler and wheels. The wheels were all ready there when I bought it too. I guess the dealer wanted to see if it would sell faster. They were going to charge me extra for the wheels and tires, but I was like "Don't it come with wheels and tires normally?" But that's a different story. Anyway...

Does anyone have any suggestions?.. I don't roll in money and I think that's why I'm wishy washy with the CS6 upgrade. But to have a supercharger under the hood would feel soooo good.. *drool*... ahem.. sorry. :dreamy:

Any suggestions or info?

Oops forgot to mention.. it's an automatic.

Thanks, Everyone!

Hi, All.. I'm new here... and basically, just about new to the Mustang community. I've always loved the Mustang and I finally got one. BUT, I bought a '05 V6 a few months after they just came out. I really wanted the V8, but I didn't want to pay $11,000 more. Plus, I was looking at gas prices and it was going to be a daily commuter, etc., etc...

Anyway, I've known about the CS 6 upgrade, but have yet to find a price for the whole kit and kaboodle (parts & labor) and who can do that sort of thing close to where I live (Central Texas).

I'm wondering if I should even do it. I mean, it's not like I'm going to race it, but for some reason, I just want more power. Don't get me wrong, the V6 has get up and go, but I want to "GO!" haha..

Right now, my baby is stock except for the Flowmaster muffler and wheels. The wheels were all ready there when I bought it too. I guess the dealer wanted to see if it would sell faster. They were going to charge me extra for the wheels and tires, but I was like "Don't it come with wheels and tires normally?" But that's a different story. Anyway...

Does anyone have any suggestions?.. I don't roll in money and I think that's why I'm wishy washy with the CS6 upgrade. But to have a supercharger under the hood would feel soooo good.. *drool*... ahem.. sorry. :dreamy:

Any suggestions or info?

Oops forgot to mention.. it's an automatic.

Thanks, Everyone!

Musela,

Here's the link to Shelby's page for the CS6 package. I'm with you, I LOVED the CS6 package when it came out, but, I'm a V8 guy through and through. Look at it this way... you're going to slap down basically $13,000 ($2,000 more than you would have paid, had you bought a GT :banghead: ) and the $13,000 DOESN'T even cover paint or labor! Labor and paint could run you another $7,000 , probably more! To my knowledge, Shelby Autos ltd. locations are the only places you can have the CS6 package installed. Their headquarters is in Las Vegas, and I believe they might have one or two locations near the east coast.

Take this into consideration... if you got the CS6 package, you'd have a bit more horsepower than the stock Mustang GT, but, you're going to pay through the nose for it! If you sold your V6, or traded it in for a used '05 or '06 Mustang GT, you'd have close to the CS6 HP (but it would be naturally aspirated), AND you'd have a GT, and that glorious Mustang V8 rumble for around $9,000 & $15,000! :yahoo::rockon: :happy feet: :banvictory: :burnout:

Just a thought.

- Josh

being a v-6 owner, I love the CS-6 option. though here's another Shelby offering:

Terlingua

Unveiled at SEMA earlier this month, the V6 Terlingua made it’s powerful debut. This is a post title modification that we can add to a customer’s existing 2005-2008 V6 Mustang. The package listed below is available starting at $18,995 installed. Pictures can be seen at www.ShelbyAutos.com

As this is a new program, parts and components are subject to change.

Exterior:

Fiber glass deep draw hood in “gawdawful” yellow

CS6 style front fascia

Flat black mesh grille

Terlingua rabbit billet front logo

“Terlingua 1860” hood pin kit

“Gawdawful” yellow striping kit

Terlingua sticker package w/ Hood logo, side fender logos

“07” Racing “meatball” stickers

New V6 rear lip spoiler

Shelby GT500 style rear fascia w/ exhaust-hole cover inserts-

CDC rear deck-lid cover

Terlingua shield logo trunk-lid emblem

Side scoops

Aluminum side window plates painted flat black w/ aluminum rivets

Sequential Tail lights

Terlingua hub cap covers

Running board heat shields

Racing fuel filler door cover

Interior:

Door sill plates with Terlingua Racing Team logo

Floor mat emblems with Carroll Shelby signature

Terlingua Racing shift knob

Numbered center dash plaque

Numbered engine plaque

Ford GT start button kit

Terlingua Key Chain

Quarter window block-off plates interior

Terlingua Engine cap kit

Shelby gauge pod with boost gauge

Terlingua Racing black bucket seats

Performance

POWER: Paxton Supercharger 375+ HP

EXHAUST: Borla cat-back side exhaust

TRASMISSION: Manual Transmission with Short throw shifter

SUSPENSION: Ford Racing Suspension Kit

BRAKES: 6 Piston big brake kit in “gawdawful” yellow - Baer

WHEELS: 20” Razor Wheels in anthracite - American Racing

TIRES: 255/35/20 – TBD

Speaking of having this package installed starting at $18,995.

No matter what you choose it is a FUN car!

personally I'm waiting until either I run out of PT warranty, or pay the car off, then I may investigate s/c options..or wait until next gen, since there are rumors of a 300hp v-6(maybe just 265, but it would still be on our 3.5L 4v motor already in production)

Musela,

Here's the link to Shelby's page for the CS6 package. I'm with you, I LOVED the CS6 package when it came out, but, I'm a V8 guy through and through. Look at it this way... you're going to slap down basically $13,000 ($2,000 more than you would have paid, had you bought a GT :banghead: ) and the $13,000 DOESN'T even cover paint or labor! Labor and paint could run you another $7,000 , probably more! To my knowledge, Shelby Autos ltd. locations are the only places you can have the CS6 package installed. Their headquarters is in Las Vegas, and I believe they might have one or two locations near the east coast.

Take this into consideration... if you got the CS6 package, you'd have a bit more horsepower than the stock Mustang GT, but, you're going to pay through the nose for it! If you sold your V6, or traded it in for a used '05 or '06 Mustang GT, you'd have close to the CS6 HP (but it would be naturally aspirated), AND you'd have a GT, and that glorious Mustang V8 rumble for around $9,000 & $15,000! :yahoo::rockon: :happy feet: :banvictory: :burnout:

Just a thought.

- Josh

Thanks, Josh..

Yah, that's why I'm having a hard time convincing myself to get a CS6 package... Course, I could just go for the supercharger, rearend change, brakes and suspension. ... Or, I could trade my car in for a V8... My warranty's all ready over and it's paid off so I could basically do just about anything to it.... *drags feet* but alas, I don't know.

Thanks for the suggestion though..

Oh, there is a shelby shop in Dallas/Ft Worth area. I just read about it in a Shelby magazine. ^_^

being a v-6 owner, I love the CS-6 option. though here's another Shelby offering:

Terlingua

Unveiled at SEMA earlier this month, the V6 Terlingua made it’s powerful debut. This is a post title modification that we can add to a customer’s existing 2005-2008 V6 Mustang. The package listed below is available starting at $18,995 installed. Pictures can be seen at www.ShelbyAutos.com

As this is a new program, parts and components are subject to change.

Exterior:

Fiber glass deep draw hood in “gawdawful” yellow

CS6 style front fascia

Flat black mesh grille

Terlingua rabbit billet front logo

“Terlingua 1860” hood pin kit

“Gawdawful” yellow striping kit

Terlingua sticker package w/ Hood logo, side fender logos

“07” Racing “meatball” stickers

New V6 rear lip spoiler

Shelby GT500 style rear fascia w/ exhaust-hole cover inserts-

CDC rear deck-lid cover

Terlingua shield logo trunk-lid emblem

Side scoops

Aluminum side window plates painted flat black w/ aluminum rivets

Sequential Tail lights

Terlingua hub cap covers

Running board heat shields

Racing fuel filler door cover

Interior:

Door sill plates with Terlingua Racing Team logo

Floor mat emblems with Carroll Shelby signature

Terlingua Racing shift knob

Numbered center dash plaque

Numbered engine plaque

Ford GT start button kit

Terlingua Key Chain

Quarter window block-off plates interior

Terlingua Engine cap kit

Shelby gauge pod with boost gauge

Terlingua Racing black bucket seats

Performance

POWER: Paxton Supercharger 375+ HP

EXHAUST: Borla cat-back side exhaust

TRASMISSION: Manual Transmission with Short throw shifter

SUSPENSION: Ford Racing Suspension Kit

BRAKES: 6 Piston big brake kit in “gawdawful” yellow - Baer

WHEELS: 20” Razor Wheels in anthracite - American Racing

TIRES: 255/35/20 – TBD

Speaking of having this package installed starting at $18,995.

No matter what you choose it is a FUN car!

personally I'm waiting until either I run out of PT warranty, or pay the car off, then I may investigate s/c options..or wait until next gen, since there are rumors of a 300hp v-6(maybe just 265, but it would still be on our 3.5L 4v motor already in production)

Wow, that's one hell of an upgrade.. and one hell of a price too.. :spend::drop: But that would be an awesone one.. I can only dream, I guess.

I'm in Iraq right now and should be returning home by the end of the month. Maybe I'll be able to make better decisions then.

Thanks for the info. Though, I don't think I'll be spending quite that much to upgrade my V6. ... I shoulda had a V8... ;) Don't get me wrong, I love my V6 and that's why I'm probably going to keep it. I mean, it is paid off and I find it hard to spend another $10,000 grand to get a V8.. so who knows. :cry:

The bottom line here is this. You purchased the V6 for fuel economy and because it was $11,000 dollars cheaper than the GT. Hummm...

Okay, now you're thinking about SCing your V6 to around 350 to 375 H.P., right? Bye; Bye, gas mileage. Okay, so now you have a 350+ H.P. car that looks like you rented it from Hertz, right? So now you're thinking, gee, I've got all this go, but zero show. Okay, let's fix that. CS6 body panel conversion complete with paint, labor, and installed...$19,000.00 before tax. Terlingua is also about $13,000 without the blower (remember, in this story you already have a blower), but you can't just get a Terlingua package without the blower so it's back to $19,000.00 before taxes. And with the exception of the Terlingua complete package quote, none of the prices that I/we are quoting have any suspension or braking components to them. So you better add another $8,000.00 to $10,000.00 for that stuff too.

As you can see, your "shouda hadda V8" is an understatement if performance was the direction you wanted to go in with your V6 mustang.

Keep the paid off V6 for your daily driver and leave it alone for a SGT or a GT. If I had your quandry, I would personally spend every opportunity I had looking for a 2007 Shelby, either new or used, and buy it.

JMO

A Mustang GT is not $11,000 more than a V6.

Yup, you're right. I was just requoting what the member posted in the begining of the forum.

The bottom line here is this. You purchased the V6 for fuel economy and because it was $11,000 dollars cheaper than the GT. Hummm...

Okay, now you're thinking about SCing your V6 to around 350 to 375 H.P., right? Bye; Bye, gas mileage. Okay, so now you have a 350+ H.P. car that looks like you rented it from Hertz, right? So now you're thinking, gee, I've got all this go, but zero show. Okay, let's fix that. CS6 body panel conversion complete with paint, labor, and installed...$19,000.00 before tax. Terlingua is also about $13,000 without the blower (remember, in this story you already have a blower), but you can't just get a Terlingua package without the blower so it's back to $19,000.00 before taxes. And with the exception of the Terlingua complete package quote, none of the prices that I/we are quoting have any suspension or braking components to them. So you better add another $8,000.00 to $10,000.00 for that stuff too.

As you can see, your "shouda hadda V8" is an understatement if performance was the direction you wanted to go in with your V6 mustang.

Keep the paid off V6 for your daily driver and leave it alone for a SGT or a GT. If I had your quandry, I would personally spend every opportunity I had looking for a 2007 Shelby, either new or used, and buy it.

JMO

Well, in 2005... that was what I was thinking, and performance was not what I was thinking either. It is now 2008. Obviously, gas prices aren't going to go down in the near future, and now I'd like to be able to do something for my V6. I also said I was just considering upgrading it, but I know I won't because of the price of the upgrade. Which I probably could just buy a V8 for, but now I'd "like" to do something with my V6.

Maybe my topic should have been "What kind of things can I do to my V6 to better the performance?" I didn't realize I was going to get lectured about what I "should of" bought for the price. Or maybe I'm just reading into your reply a little too much? :cry:

Welcome!

I've got around $40k in my car and mods. Check out my sig. Perhaps it'll give you another option!

Thanks, Ruf... I'll have to look into something. I definitely can take all the suggestions anyone can give me. Is your car a v6 or v8?

Well, in 2005... that was what I was thinking, and performance was not what I was thinking either. It is now 2008. Obviously, gas prices aren't going to go down in the near future, and now I'd like to be able to do something for my V6. I also said I was just considering upgrading it, but I know I won't because of the price of the upgrade. Which I probably could just buy a V8 for, but now I'd "like" to do something with my V6.

Maybe my topic should have been "What kind of things can I do to my V6 to better the performance?" I didn't realize I was going to get lectured about what I "should of" bought for the price. Or maybe I'm just reading into your reply a little too much? :cry:

Reading way too much, and lecturing was not the intent what so ever. Ultimately, what I say doesn't amount to a hill of beans in yours or anyone else's decisions here. Everything that I say here are only my opinions no matter how they are conveyed. The point that I did a poor job of communicating to you was that in my opinion, when modding a V6 car vs a V8 car, if one spends dollar for dollar, you can get much more performance modding a V8 engined car over a V6 equipped car, and in the long run have a better purpose built car too.

Musela,

There are a few things you can do, if you just want a little more juice from your V6. It's pretty much the same as for any other car. Cold Air Intake, Tune, Exhaust from the headers back, different rear end gears, etc. CAI & tune might cost you between $300 & $600 (you can do it yourself). Shorty headers alone can be near $500 (probably need a pro to install these), and Cat-back exhaust (another pro job) can run $800 - $1,200, depending upon what you buy. I'm not sure what new rear end gears would run you, but, it's probably not going to be cheap either. And, of course, the grand MOTHER of them all, the supercharger, will probably run you between $5,000 and $7,000 installed. That's a lot of dough, but, then again, it's a heck of a lot less than $19,000!

- Josh

There are cheaper ways of modifying a V6. Take Off parts has a lot of GT parts that you can use to upgrade your V6. There are 3rd party handling, brake, and supercharger packages you can add that will dramatically improve the stock V6. The Terlingua conversion is a great package for someone who doesn't want to do all the mix and match AND wants the prestige of the Shelby name. However, you do pay extra for the convenience and prestige.

Reading way too much, and lecturing was not the intent what so ever. Ultimately, what I say doesn't amount to a hill of beans in yours or anyone else's decisions here. Everything that I say here are only my opinions no matter how they are conveyed. The point that I did a poor job of communicating to you was that in my opinion, when modding a V6 car vs a V8 car, if one spends dollar for dollar, you can get much more performance modding a V8 engined car over a V6 equipped car, and in the long run have a better purpose built car too.

Aaahh.. ok. that sounds much better ;) Thanks.

Musela,

There are a few things you can do, if you just want a little more juice from your V6. It's pretty much the same as for any other car. Cold Air Intake, Tune, Exhaust from the headers back, different rear end gears, etc. CAI & tune might cost you between $300 & $600 (you can do it yourself). Shorty headers alone can be near $500 (probably need a pro to install these), and Cat-back exhaust (another pro job) can run $800 - $1,200, depending upon what you buy. I'm not sure what new rear end gears would run you, but, it's probably not going to be cheap either. And, of course, the grand MOTHER of them all, the supercharger, will probably run you between $5,000 and $7,000 installed. That's a lot of dough, but, then again, it's a heck of a lot less than $19,000!

- Josh

Thanks, Josh...

I was thinking about the CAI and possible tune. And every time I mention supercharger to the hubs, he just says "why? you aren't going to race it.".. wargh.. :banghead: Does having a supercharger mean you gotta race it??? :finger:

There are cheaper ways of modifying a V6. Take Off parts has a lot of GT parts that you can use to upgrade your V6. There are 3rd party handling, brake, and supercharger packages you can add that will dramatically improve the stock V6. The Terlingua conversion is a great package for someone who doesn't want to do all the mix and match AND wants the prestige of the Shelby name. However, you do pay extra for the convenience and prestige.

Thanks, Moab... Are there certain brands of superchargers that are better or not so good than others? I've seen Paxton, Vortech, etc. but I'm not really sure what the difference between any of them are besides name and price.

Archived