TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Got the perfect platform for the next OP

moabman

We won't be building many because they are so expensive. It will be replacing the F-15 and the F-117. The Air Force F-15 was designed in the 60s and is still an excellent fighter especially when used within the overall system but there are other planes more manueverable now. In addition, the F-117 stealth strike bombers are also getting old and although they were break-through aircraft, are limited. For example, they are not supersonic capable.

The F-22 is another transition aircraft - it is stealthy and is an air superiority aircraft. You saw it's manueverablity and it is supersonic capable. In fact, it is the first aircraft I know of that will cruise (no afterburner) at supersonic speeds.

The F-22 will be joined by the F-35 also known as the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) which also has some pretty amazing technology such as stealth, supersonic with thrust vectoring and in the Marine variant can take off and land vertically. It is the first airplane in history to take off vertically, go supersonic and then land vertically.

I worked on the X-35 (F-35 predecessor) & it was a really cool what that one was capable of. The production version will do a heck of a lot more. Our chief test pilot was Tom Morgenfeld. He had the dubious honor of being at the controls of the YF-22 that splatted on the runway thanks to the software guys. He walked away from it & is able to laugh (a little bit) about it now. I did get to see the YF-22 take off at Edwards & it used about 300ft of runway & then lifted off thanks to the thrust vectoring. It was way cool.

We won't be building many because they are so expensive. It will be replacing the F-15 and the F-117. The Air Force F-15 was designed in the 60s and is still an excellent fighter especially when used within the overall system but there are other planes more manueverable now. In addition, the F-117 stealth strike bombers are also getting old and although they were break-through aircraft, are limited. For example, they are not supersonic capable.

The F-22 is another transition aircraft - it is stealthy and is an air superiority aircraft. You saw it's manueverablity and it is supersonic capable. In fact, it is the first aircraft I know of that will cruise (no afterburner) at supersonic speeds.

The F-22 will be joined by the F-35 also known as the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) which also has some pretty amazing technology such as stealth, supersonic with thrust vectoring and in the Marine variant can take off and land vertically. It is the first airplane in history to take off vertically, go supersonic and then land vertically.

Yes, otherwise known as SUPERCRUSE. Get all the haul ass with less fuel consumption.

Can you say vectored thrust? Make sure you watch all of this to see a supersonic capable jet complete a loop within 2 plane lengths. The engineering is incredible.

Beware the Raptor!

Please don't laugh...I don't know much about planes...

What would a plane like that be used for? Does it carry weapons? How many people would it carry? Is it for reconnaissance (sp?). Would we sell them outside the US?

Thanks,

Dave

The F22 carries one pilot.

It's mission is air superiority - simply put to ensure that we can go anywhere and do anything in the air without having to worry about airborne interference.

It carries air to air weapons internally because it is stealthy.

It was built to replace the F-15 which is an excellent fighter but is not quite keeping up with some of the more recent Russian and European fighters.

The F22 carries one pilot.

It's mission is air superiority - simply put to ensure that we can go anywhere and do anything in the air without having to worry about airborne interference.

It carries air to air weapons internally because it is stealthy.

It was built to replace the F-15 which is an excellent fighter but is not quite keeping up with some of the more recent Russian and European fighters.

Thank you! Learned something today.....

that Grabber wears panties. :hysterical2:

Seriously though, thanks moab.

Please don't laugh...I don't know much about planes...

What would a plane like that be used for? Does it carry weapons? How many people would it carry? Is it for reconnaissance (sp?). Would we sell them outside the US?

Thanks,

Dave

Perhaps the UK, but other than those folks, I don't think we would. And if we did, it would be one indication that the plane is obsolete and we have something better tucked away about 75 miles away from SAI. Did you see how I brought SAI into a topic that has nothing to do with Shelbys? Pretty sneaky, no? :hysterical:

Perhaps the UK, but other than those folks, I don't think we would. And if we did, it would be one indication that the plane is obsolete and we have something better tucked away about 75 miles away from SAI. Did you see how I brought SAI into a topic that has nothing to do with Shelbys? Pretty sneaky, no? :hysterical:

Very sneaky. I couldn't tell the difference between a DC80 and a size D battery. :hysterical: All I know is that the most comfortable plane I've been on was one of those double decker things on our way to Spain 11 years ago. Boy was that nice.

I only fly about once a year...I'm a novice. I'm one of those people that arrives 3 hours before flight time just in case anything goes wrong. :hysterical2:

I hate all the "crap" you have to go through at airports anymore. Don't get me wrong, I know it's necessary to ensure our safety. All I'm saying is that in the "old" days (pre 9-11), if I needed to go somewhere that was more than a 5 hour drive, I'd fly. Last year, we drove to North Carolina....10 hours. Enough said.

Dave

Very sneaky. I couldn't tell the difference between a DC80 and a size D battery. :hysterical: All I know is that the most comfortable plane I've been on was one of those double decker things on our way to Spain 11 years ago. Boy was that nice.

I only fly about once a year...I'm a novice. I'm one of those people that arrives 3 hours before flight time just in case anything goes wrong. :hysterical2:

I hate all the "crap" you have to go through at airports anymore. Don't get me wrong, I know it's necessary to ensure our safety. All I'm saying is that in the "old" days (pre 9-11), if I needed to go somewhere that was more than a 5 hour drive, I'd fly. Last year, we drove to North Carolina....10 hours. Enough said.

Dave

Tell me about it brother. Everytime I have to disrobe going through a TSI check point, and I look around and see everyone doing the samething, I ask myself one question over and over again, "how can anyone sit there and tell me that the terrorists haven't won?"

Those rat bastards have negitively affected many freedoms that we used to not even think about before, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I'm not a hippie - but this plane (from what I've read) costs about $1.2 Billion. About the same cost as a Trident Sub. I can't understand the cost justification.

Neither could Congress and the DoD - we only built 21. Bush apparently agreed with you because he was the one who cut the program from 75 down to 20. The high price tag per plane is because the $23 billion in research for the program had to be spread over only 21 aircraft.

Archived