TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby nameplate is in, Cobra is out

robertlane

I will have to try and take this loss gracefully, but it really bothers me. I just don't want to pay for a bunch of aging boomers desire to try and replay their youth. Tell you what FORD. You take all the stickers and SHELBY crap off the car, drop in an AL block and I'll give you an extra 5k, allright? And you can sell all the stickers to a wannabe for fate knows how much extra O.K.? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the article Robert. I'm sorry to lose the Cobra too. Since it was the original name plate for the car in the first place. However, JETSOLVER, I am buying this car because of a history that happened before you were obviously born. The rebirth of the GT500 could only be called a SHELBY, because that's all it has ever been. I am not trying to recapture a youth I never lost, at 37. I just appreciate the car, and the man behind it. So do you, even if you don't wast to. Before Shelby, the Mustang was a commuter car, a Corolla, a Civic. Not the muscle car you obviously love. Ford came to Shelby for help to transform something basic into something grand. Although, there have been countless versions of the Mustang over the years since that time, the greatest Mustang without challenge is the GT500. Since 1970, I'm sorry to say but Ford has not produced anything that remotely interested me. I grew up a european sportscar fan from the moment I could pronounce Porsche 911 Carrera Targa Turbo. I was actually a moment away from putting down my deposit on the new Lotus Elise, when I was surfing the web, and came accross something that stopped me in my tracks. Ford was re-introducing the Shelby Cobra GT500!!! Although I really appreciated the new Ford Mustang with its' retro styling, it was a car designed ( in my opinion ) to remind you of the days of muscle power. But the new Shelby GT500 can actually live it. If that's a bad thing, than I'm a Bad A$$ Man, and this is my Bad A$$ car!!!

Long Live Shelby

KingCobra.

I have asked other questions to Ford that were put forward from everyone on the board, but it does take time for Ford to address.

You can always post questions, maybe someone will have the answer.

I am very happy that they SHELBY name will be on the decklid - officially from Ford.

However, JETSOLVER, I am buying this car because of a history that happened before you were obviously born. 

KingCobra.

613[/snapback]

Ace' I'm older than you are. I learned to drive in a 64 Galaxie with a 427 med riser. And My uncle has owned a 67 GT500 since 1970. He thinks my SVT COBRA is at least as special and a much better car. As do I.

.  Although, there have been countless versions of the Mustang over the years since that time, the greatest Mustang without challenge is the GT500.

KingCobra.

613[/snapback]

The terminator SVT of 03/04 is the most refined and completely balanced Mustang of the modern era, FOR THE MONEY! The car is about putting the money where it does the most good, not in gingerbread. The Idea behind SVT and the reincarnation of FORD performance was a credo that does not include signed glovebox doors and discussions of badging. It is about making a unique product that leads not follows. It is about car guy's in FORD doing more with less and a lifestyle of DRIVING these cars, not standing around rubbing them with diapers, discussing how little wear is on the brake pedal cover, all the while wondering if they have the spare tire jack clocked correctly. I think that maybe in the end, AFTER all the wannabe's have a SHELBY, when FORD realizes that the real market is the enthusiast driver, they'll go back to the SVT credo and hopefully I'll get the car sans stickers and letters, maybe with the Aluminum block it should have had all along. Hopefully I won't have fallen for something else closer to the subtle, aggressive stealth machine I have now. Having siad that I hold out hope that something in Jan 06 will remind me of the feeling I had the day I joined the SVT family.

Can't argue with that!!!

Well said.

In the end, I'm sure we're looking for the same essentials in this car.

I just want it to retain an identity and class of it's own, separately identifiable from the standard Mustang.

KingCobra.

The terminator SVT of 03/04 is the most refined and completely balanced Mustang of the modern era, FOR THE MONEY! The car is about putting the money where it does the most good, not in gingerbread. The Idea behind SVT and the reincarnation of FORD performance was a credo that does not include signed glovebox doors and discussions of badging. It is about making a unique product that leads not follows. It is about car guy's in FORD doing more with less and a lifestyle of DRIVING these cars, not standing around rubbing them with diapers, discussing how little wear is on the brake pedal cover, all the while wondering if they have the spare tire jack clocked correctly. I think that maybe in the end, AFTER all the wannabe's have a SHELBY, when FORD realizes that the real market is the enthusiast driver, they'll go back to the SVT credo and hopefully I'll get the car sans stickers and letters, maybe with the Aluminum block it should have had all along. Hopefully I won't have fallen for something else closer to the subtle, aggressive stealth machine I have now. Having siad that I hold out hope that something in Jan 06 will remind me of the feeling I had the day I joined the SVT family.

627[/snapback]

I certainly hope they can improve a car in 36 or 37 years! Please keep in mind, the original Shelby cars were exactly what you are describing - very basic muscle cars - just look at the '65 GT350. No rear seat, all manual transmissions, Detriot Locker rear ends, available in one color only! Carroll Shelby's cars epitomized exactly what you are looking for in a performance car. They became more luxurious and less business like as time went on, but especially once Ford took over production in 1968. The SVT cars are definitely great performance cars, but they have all the creature comforts -AC, Cruise, Tilt, Power Seats, nice sound systems, unless you consider just the "R" models. I think it's great that Ford and SVT chose to honor Carrol Shelby's history with Ford by calling this car a Shelby GT500 - but obviously this car is almost all SVT, with Shelby basically just giving it his "okay" - but that's good enough for me, because that's basically what was done with the '68, '69, and '70 Shelby's.

Calling us "wannabes" is kind of insulting. Not all original Shelby owners are "standing around rubbing them with diapers" etc. Some of us don't own trailers, we drive them, autocross them, smoke the tires, etc - just like I intend to do with my '07 when I get it. Carrol always said his cars were meant to be driven, they weren't intended to be trailer queens.

Uhh, as I said on January 25, this was an obvious and logical move for Ford. "Shelby" was a VERY powerful brand name just sitting in a file cabinet, waiting to be rediscovered.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/index.php?sh...80entry187980

(Scroll to post 18)

In case no one has figured this out yet, they are probably removing the Cobra name from Mustangs so they can use it for something else-- something more extreme-- in a year or two.

This is GOOD news!

Just so everybody understands where I'm coming from here, and is aware that the GT500 would not be anything like the car it MIGHT be, the early SVT cars were very much a gamblers chance. The car I bought was just about the 10000 DOHC car down the line(and just the 8th one is a city of 850000) and there was very little magazine coverage, and no word of mouth. The dealership I bought mine from told me flat out they didn't think the program would last as they went through hoops to get a few cars and couldn't sell them. They couldn't get people to spend an extra 30% for what most people took to be a V8 Stang. If I hadn't been one of the first people to order a 94 GT, I wouldn't have known about SVT myself. I was sold on the car, in part because of this credo: Performance, substance, value and exclusivity. And excerpted from my owners supplement: Our Team: DEDICATED ENTHUSIASTS AT FORD WHO DESIGN, BUILD, SELL AND SERVICE LIMITED -EDITION, HIGH-PERFORMANCE VEHICLES. FOR US, DRIVING IS A PASSION, SO WE TAKE SPECIAL PRIDE IN OUR WORK. SVT strives for balance between powertrain and chassis, cornering prowess and long-distance confort- to build cars in which no one system overwhelms or overshadows another. If it had not been for people like my dealer(whom I know very well because of this car) and me(who went to several driving schools before I bought the thing) the SHELBY thing would not be possible. As such I take a very personal interest in how they carry forward the legacy. The money is not the issue. It is about the substance and the value. And frankly I don't want to replace the 97, I want to add to it. If FORD would be so kind as to offer the damm car without SHELBY stuff at all I will happilly spend the CAN equivilent of 45-50k. NOT because of how I look in the thing, but because of how it represents the value of the driving experiance to me.

Does the driving school you mentioned have anything to do with SVT or something you did on your own?

As far as the price you mentioned for the new GT500 of 45-50k, I was told to expect MSRP to be about $53 000 CAN, at the dealership I have my deposit with.

KingCobra.

Thanks for the link Robert. Can I now assume that since all SVT Mustangs going forward will be GT500s will they all have 330 cu displacement? Or will they revert to 281 cu after 07-08? If so, what will make the 07 Shelby different or special?

Jetsolver - Obviously this is an important issue to you. I don't wish to antagonize you, but this is a relatively minor change in reality.

It really affects nothing functionally, and will appeaze those of us who actually HAD, or aspired to have, GT350's or GT500's in the 60's (most likely a huge part of the target market for this car) because it keeps with the tradional asthetics of a Shelby Mustang. This IS a retro looking car after all. I don't think that this has anything to do with, or takes anything away from other SVT Mustangs, this car was introduced as a SHELBY Mustang.

After all is said and done, this will still be the most potent factory Mustang ever built, at least to this point. I seriously doubt that the aluminum block would have been a trade off for asthetics issues, I'm sure it's use or non-use is far more related to target pricing considerations.

...and for the record, I tale exception to the baby diaper comment also. I owned a '66 GT350, driven daily, raced, and rolled (unfortunately). Never once rubbed it down with a diaper.

The convertible will be introduced in January, 2006 in Detroit.  We're working on more information.

Where is Coldwater?

679[/snapback]

Take I-94 West to exit #108 then take I-69 south 20 - 23 miles to exit #13 & that's where where I'm at. I work in Kalamazoo, Michigan (I-94 exit #80) making plastic interior parts for the Ford 500, Freestyle & Mercury Montego.

maybe it's because we will be seeing another true cobra coming back to life like this concept car.

post-768-1131387017_thumb.jpg

post-768-1131387036_thumb.jpg

post-768-1131387057_thumb.jpg

681[/snapback]

Folks, after being a FORD fan for many years, owned many Mustangs and waiting for my opportunity to buy this newest car, I must say I am extremely disappointed at the decision to remove the Cobra. Cobra is a mainstay name and is the name that really makes the car have a name that means something serious. Now I'm more disappointed than ever that first I have to wait to buy a car that I want now, the car is going to be hard to get, I have to basically beg a car manufacturer to have one that I worked for the money to get so that I can enjoy it and now even before the car becomes available is already losing one the reasons to even build the car? Come on people, FORD needs to have more sense than this. Sure keep building the cars with the old names like Ford Five Hundred and what's up with a crappy name like "FUSION". I sure don't want to drive a car that sounds like somethng that will explode, which by the way expands upon the fear that several FORD cars have over the years.

FORD, do something right. Get more of the GTs on the road. Get them to your dealers, and keep the COBRA nameplate. Build cars with respectable names. And by the way, help Mercury get rid of their meager names like "Montego", "Milan", etc. Cars are a part of america. Very few people will even feel proud to own these with names such as these. Build something that our future generations will respect, desire, and believe are awesome cars to dream about and own. KEEP THE COBRA! IF YOU DON"T KEEP THE COBRA, I FOR ONE WILL NOT BUY ONE! I will keep my COBRA I have now and continue to respect the Mustang GT. See that name even sounds awesome. Leave the car name as it is, and get the darn things built and get them released. PLEASE. WE ARE TIRED OF WAITING !!

Signed,

MUSTANGGT66

Archived