TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How much over msrp will you be paying?

Well I just talked to god,"yes he is a man". He said 15k over msrp. Period end of story.

Maybe not.

Hey Hussman, kind of ironic your in NJ and I'm in VT. and we both get the 15k line huh?

Just would like to hear from those getting one what your paying over msrp,what state your in, and where would you draw the line.

And do you think the car will,"cool off", this year or next? As well as it's retention value for prosperity?

For me, I'm thinking about waiting for an 2008.Not sure yet.

A teens dream in the 70's.4onthefloor4bblcarbanddualexhaust

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And do you think the car will,"cool off", this year or next? As well as it's retention value for prosperity?

I think you and I have had this conversation before, but, here is where I stand.

I started with a dealer in Summer 2003. I was referred there because they had never charged ADM on any car before, even the Tbirds. I met the guy, told him that was important to me and got put first on his list. I kept freq contact with the guy and made sure he knew I would not pay over sticker.

Jan of this year, on my way home from seeing the car at the Detroit car show, he tells me his sales manager is going to do a bid system for the car. I said "no thanks". I have had 4 or 5 other MSRP deals on the line. Each one has backed down at the last minute. I found out later that the regional reps are telling them they should get 10-20k over sticker for them. Naturally, they are all seeing the dollar signs and changing their mind.

I refuse to pay over sticker, period. Over the history of hot cars, they all start with ADMs and all end with MSRP or less. This is usually 6-12 months later. Ford is notorious for making more cars than they say they will. In fact, they were saying early on that they "would build one for everyone that wants one". I think they will. Eventually, prices will fall. The MotorTrend article was just quoted as 3 years instead of 2. Those that are patient, will save 10k-20k. TO me, that is a lot of coin.

I also think that demand is way over estimated. The hype has dealer lists that are longer than they think they will be getting cars. Once people start getting cars, those lists will diminish quickly.

I don't have any facts or figures to support this, but, I do have history and common sense on my side. Right now the public thinks that if they don't pay the overage that they won't get one. I, personally, think that is untrue. In fact, I'm banking on it. I'm waiting until they come down. IF I, also, have to wait until 2008, I will. IT is worth 20 grand to wait a year. If I am wrong and I never get the car, it won't be the end of the World. There are a lot of cars available in the 60k (GT500 plus 15 or 20 grand) price range that will adequately fill the void.

As far as holding their value, not for a long time. OF course they will be better than a minivan, but, they will still depreciate as a normal car. IF you want a car that does not depreciate, buy a used 911 Turbo. I have been following them for at least 7 years. The 91-94 have not changed in that time and the 96-97 have not changed much.

Well I just talked to god,"yes he is a man". He said 15k over msrp. Period end of story.

Maybe not.

Hey Hussman, kind of ironic your in NJ and I'm in VT. and we both get the 15k line huh?

Just would like to hear from those getting one what your paying over msrp,what state your in, and where would you draw the line.

Like 5.4 Shelby, I will wait out the insanity of ADM and if it never subsides then so be it... but, I think it will subside. 18,000 GT500's is a lot of GT500's. I feel very strongly that they'll be relatively easy to attain for the 2008 model year if production numbers hold up. Probably be improved, too. Just my instinct... nothing more.

Maybe not.

I'm paying $5000 over. I was going to draw the line at a total price of $47,500. Oh well, I went over that! I figure for a couple thousand dollars why not get the car I want. I don't think you'll see '07's at or under MSRP for the remainder of this model year, I think there is just way to much excitement generated by this car. Look at the number of "views" the pricing thread has had, over 17,000 last I looked. The '08's may be easier to buy, but I think MSRP will be higher too. The best way to buy one would be to wait a couple years and buy one that somebody tucked away when they first got it, because I think there will be a bunch of low mileage used ones in a couple years. They will depreciate like every other car out there, so there will be some good buys if a guy can just be patient.

I agree with others and have stated before that the dealers are fooling themselves if they think the 20 or 30 people on their lists are only on their lists. Supply and demand will be at equilibrium within 12 months. Patience will be a virtue.

That being said, I'm personally not going to wait 4or 5 years to pick up a low mile, garaged "keeper" that somebody erroneously thought would be "worth something" in a few years. I believe they will be out there, don't get me wrong. It's just that life is too short to wait for the perfect deal. I've had a recent illness that brought that front and center, I've had grade-school friends that have been diagnosed with horrible things...you never know when it will be you. If you find what you want at the price you are comfortable with and have the means to do so, I don't think you'll regret it (that advice goes beyond this car).

Congrats owenkelley!

I remember thinking I was locked in at 5k,then 10 and now at 15k over. The down side to buying a used one is finding the milege,color and options I want. As well as just not knowing how the car was treated would be a big deal with this car to me.

I'm not sure they would raise the price for next year. Especially if they raise the production number as it was stated earlier in here ford would do to make sure everyone got one.

I have to believe your in the minority of 5k over and below winners. And after hearing from two dealers in the northeast that dealers in this region are,"in sync" across the board on pricing I would think it would spread.

I guess the biggest unknown is how many many units will sell quick at the inflated prices? Net 60 day's for dealers means no cost to them for two month's, so they can afford to use them as bait with a jacked price to entice.

What is your price CT Pats Fan?

Wondering what your finding dealers in your area are asking?

I am feeling lucky and still keeping my fingers crossed that my deal does not change. My dealer called me yesterday and told me he had a partial vin and a price. Fully loaded coupe with all options, 45,060. I am sure he is getting calls everyday and probably some crazy offers. I offered to give him some money but he would not take it.

Everyone, wish me luck in finishing this deal.

If I can order the car the way I want to, and would get it this year with no BS, 10K over MSRP. If the dealer isn't reasobably local, or I cannot order what I want, well, it depends on what I'd be giving up (coupe vs. vert, color). If that's no good, no problem because I probably wouldn't see the car until snow season anyway, and I have no interest in driving it in the sand/salt/snow anyway. Drove a 66 vert and 67 coupe for 5 years in New England winters. I'll take my f-150 over 2 cinder blocks in the trunk.

I'm on multiple lists (anywhere from #6 to #20), but as time has gone on, dealers have waffled from 1st come, 1st served, to auctions, to more slimey moves - like call everybody on the list (I would hope, in order) and say, "we're getting ready to put in our order and you're spot is "up". We're selling it for $20K over MSRP...are you in?" and trying to get that person to bite. If they don't, they move on to the next one (I know this because a friend of mine is on the same list). I'm sure if nobody bites, we'll all be getting calls saying they changed their mind and will be selling for $15K over MSRP, go through the list again, etc. etc. By the way, this was a dealer that 2 months ago said they were simply going to do a lottery. BTW, that's why I think that having 20 or 30 people on a list is giving some of the dealers big balls to try some things they wouldn't try otherwise. Not that they think they would be getting more than 3 cars, but that they have 20 or 30 fish out there.

rpretzel, you are an envied man in my eye's.

Just noticed your from CO. From keeping an eye at orf's ebay auctions, CO has one or two of the highest bids on the car.

Thanks, I got lucky.

Yes, the Denver area dealers are really trying to milk this for every dollar they can get. I got mine from a dealer 3 hours outside the Denver area where the hype isn't so bad.

WOW! A collection of weasels. That sucks. I wonder if they are doing the ebay thing as well? Although I don't remember seeing any CT dealers.

My info told me the NE region ford dealers were in concert with a 15k ADM across the board. I guess your in with some real rogues.

20k is totally absurd to me. Especially when they were at 10k a month ago.

I spent at least 100 hours digging up every ford dealer in NY,VT,NH,MA,CT and MAINE.

I started the beginning of February and 2 dealers in VT that sounded honest and specified they were NOT going to ask for an outrageous ADM. I think I should have chosen more options.

I haven't checked ebay...I just figured it would p*ss me off.

The dealers here are just coming around to stating their price. Some are bold (example above), some have just played dumb or are testing the waters. My favorite was "we have no idea how much MSRP is going to be, so we have no idea what we are going to charge." My response was, "whatever MSRP is, you're going to add ADM - so you can tell me what your ADM is going to be, you're just choosing not to. Oh, and by the way, here's what MSRP is." (thanks to everybody on this board for keeping us in the loop!!!)

I figure 10K because I can order a Roush for that price right now and see it in 2 months. That's not a bad fall-back. If I have to wait until 2008, that's probably better since some stock I own took a big hit due to the BOD backdating stock options for the CEO and the SEC investigating. So "patience young grasshopper" is my mantra.

I am in TN, One of those smalldealers that was not an SVT dealer. He has not ask for me to pay any of the fees at this time and since he told me 45,060 and his dealership does not charge any type of prep or doc fee I am hoping the price does not increase.

All the SVT dealers around here are getting 15K over. I had two deals with SVT dealers but was not willing to go that high. Its kind of funny how the deal came down. I was sitting in the office of a SVT dealer, I had been #2 on his list but somehow got bumped to #3 and he read me the allocating rules. He could not guarantee a car but I realized all dealers might have a chance at getting one. I called the non ST dealer and he said he had already ordered one and I could have it. I went in the next day and here I am today.

Wow, I did the VT, NH, MA and Maine dealer thing too. Some of them were very nice initially, but have changed their tunes. Most, I will have to say, were up front about not wanting a down payment. Whereas here in CT, most of the dealers I spoke to have wanted down payments. One CT ealer, for which I would have been #9 on their list, wanted "as much as I could put down", suggesting $500 wouldn't even hold a car on the lot, and that $5000 was more like it. However, this dealer would not tell me what they were going to sell the car for. Can you believe that? Knowing they would only get 2 or 3 cars, tops, suggesting $5K downpayment to "keep my spot in line", but won't even commit to a selling price. Weasels indeed.

I did get the"don't even waste my time" from the CT dealers. They all told me they had lists as long as there arm.

I got that response from the one at the northern most part of I-91 (in CT). I know where I won't be wasting my time when it's time to replace my wife's mini-van!!!

Come on CTPatsfan, you can use this as a healing forum. Say it and thou shall be healed!

OK, I won't be buying a replacement for my wife's mini-van at Enfield Ford. Being brushed off with "don't waste my time" is not an acceptable response to an inquiry in any business. And I'm sure whoever is #'s 1-5 on their list are going to be handled with respect and handled honestly and fairly.

That doesn't make me feel too much better. But it's a start.

Archived