TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can we buy the actual KR hood

wildcat

I would believe 250rwp from a bone stock Boss 302, but that's really not the point. The point is there is zero reasons to justify slamming any Classic Mustang and the Boss 302's were special even in their day. Just no need for it, I'll leave it at that.

I am probably the biggest boss 302 fan on this forum and dont think he was slamming them. 250rwhp on a stock Boss 302 aint gonna happen as in order to do so it would have to make a minimum 350 flywheel. My first car way back when was a 70 boss 302 so know first hand what they did and what they did not do.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am probably the biggest boss 302 fan on this forum and dont think he was slamming them. 250rwhp on a stock Boss 302 aint gonna happen as in order to do so it would have to make a minimum 350 flywheel. My first car way back when was a 70 boss 302 so know first hand what they did and what they did not do.

Please show me in writing. I didn't own one, but have driven them too.

"The Boss 302 was rated at 290 HP because insurance companies were beginning to penalize the muscle cars by tacking on higher charges to any car rated over 300 HP. Actual horsepower was closer to 350. (These are Gross HP figures, not Net, as used today). Race versions made 450 HP at over 8,000 RPMs."

http://ezinearticles.com/?History-of-the-B...g&id=125293

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/158.shtml For info.

Edit: I understand the definitions of HP. The Boss 302 was underrated for insurance purposes. They were good running cars for their time. Off thread track again, a year latter. I'm done.

If they are indeed $7000.00 for the carbon fiber hood, I don't think they'll sell enough to make a "killing".

Honestly, How many hoods @ 7 grand a throw are going to be sold to GT500 owners? Is anyone in their right mind going to install a 7K hood on a car that has a market value in the 30s?

Your right, but it will be handled the same as the scoops, they will need to be sent back for the dealer to get the repair credit, and it will be handled by Shelby, not Ford. so, the hoods will not be available

From my minor understanding Amy is the TOP of the food chain at SAI. I would read and believe this statement. :cry:

I called Shelby Parts the other day for another matter and at the end of our conversation I asked if the KR hood would be made available to the GT500 owners? He said we don't know yet.

Well,he didn't say no. <_< For whatever that's worth?

You have officially made my pants tighter... :drool:

I for one would like to have the KR hood as would many others, but not at 7K.....not even at 3 or 4K

I wrote a note to Amy B asking about the hood, and explaining our point of view on this. Sadly, enough I never recieved a response back from her.

Perhaps things are so great (even in this economy) at Shelby they can afford not to respond to potential customers. How many companies in todays environment can do that?

I think the Venom hood would be the way to go.....so what if it isnt an official Shelby part, the Shelby KR hood wouldn't be considered original equipment on a stock gt500 either.

I for one would like to have the KR hood as would many others, but not at 7K.....not even at 3 or 4K

I wrote a note to Amy B asking about the hood, and explaining our point of view on this. Sadly, enough I never recieved a response back from her.

Perhaps things are so great (even in this economy) at Shelby they can afford not to respond to potential customers. How many companies in todays environment can do that?

I think the Venom hood would be the way to go.....so what if it isnt an official Shelby part, the Shelby KR hood wouldn't be considered original equipment on a stock gt500 either.

you should look at the IPP carbon fiber hood. I would give you a link to it but it has been removed before :hide:

Guys, your right, there will be fake kits out there, we have already shut down half a dozen, see we own the patent on this car and its parts and we along with Ford will dilligently stop anyone who makes these parts. This protects us, Ford and the people who buy the cars.

You have a Shelby Gt500, why would you slap on fake parts made by someone else?

Amy

Amy,

I have sent you a few PMs (3 weeks old) no response.....

That said....to answer your question above. Why would someone slap on fake parts made by someone else? There is actually a very simple answer. Many like the looks of the KR hood and want it on their cars. A decision has been made not to make these available, so what do you expect these owners to do? They will look else where to get what they want. Someone will make a close replica and the masses will buy it.

No one disputes the fact that the KR are limited and exclusive but, aren't the Super Snakes sold as limited and exclusive too? Why are those hoods available?

In the end many owners will have no choice other than to live with the decision that was made, but it is unrealistic to think or question why someone would use an non shelby part on their car.

Thanks

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

What i dont get is i can get the hood and still not have someone think i have a kr cuz OOPS! I dont have the head rests or teh other parts on the inside.....DOH! So why does this hood make things so damned exclusisve?? I think its like the south park episode where no one could get into cartmans theme park......they will make us want it to the point that people will shell out 5-10 K for one...genious.

I think the word LIMITED should be looked up in the dictonary. It is funny that people who paid a ton of money to buy a GT500 are getting mad because anyone with a mustang can replicate it. Now guys who paid a ton of money for the Super Snake package can get mad because anyone who has a GT500 can pretty much replicate it. Now Amy says that the KR will not be replicated and hood will not be sold but you can get the KR exhaust already. There will be someone out there who will make a really close copy of the KR hood. Just remember everyone, supply and demand is all it takes, we should all know that by now. It is SAI's world and we are just living in it. It is just to bad that the hand that feed's might get bitten one day. When i bought my car i thought it would be limited to 3 yrs, man was i wrong and i am the one to blame, we all are.

I think the word LIMITED should be looked up in the dictonary. It is funny that people who paid a ton of money to buy a GT500 are getting mad because anyone with a mustang can replicate it. Now guys who paid a ton of money for the Super Snake package can get mad because anyone who has a GT500 can pretty much replicate it. Now Amy says that the KR will not be replicated and hood will not be sold but you can get the KR exhaust already. There will be someone out there who will make a really close copy of the KR hood. Just remember everyone, supply and demand is all it takes, we should all know that by now. It is SAI's world and we are just living in it. It is just to bad that the hand that feed's might get bitten one day. When i bought my car i thought it would be limited to 3 yrs, man was i wrong and i am the one to blame, we all are.

Check out the new trufiber venom hood.....its close, not exact. Its fiberglass like the SS hood but for less than 1000.00 thats what im going to do.

Check out the new trufiber venom hood.....its close, not exact. Its fiberglass like the SS hood but for less than 1000.00 thats what im going to do.

[/quote

There is a thread on SVT by a guy who just bought a KR hood and is prepping it for paint. Quite a few pics also. Sure looks like a nice piece.

I recall seeing numerous real honest-to-God KR hoods on the various KITT's on the set of Knight Rider. Now, KR was made by a production company not owned by either by Ford or Shelby, nor are any of the cars that were used on the show real KR's or even GT500's - they were GT's. I asked the car wrangler about the hoods and he had no idea they were restricted - he just said they were expensive. He got them from Ford.

Now how offended are the KR owner's to know that a bunch of GTs have KR hoods on them? Are they storming the offices of Shelby? No.

Just food for thought.

I wish hed post where to get it.

He did.

Also from what I understand the hoods are not made by SAI, the hoods are made by Ford. The guy we got this from is a high up at Ford so he isn't worried.

Alan Mulally? Bill Ford? Everyone at Ford is worried right now.

Tob

• 1 month later...
I recall seeing numerous real honest-to-God KR hoods on the various KITT's on the set of Knight Rider. Now, KR was made by a production company not owned by either by Ford or Shelby, nor are any of the cars that were used on the show real KR's or even GT500's - they were GT's. I asked the car wrangler about the hoods and he had no idea they were restricted - he just said they were expensive. He got them from Ford.

Now how offended are the KR owner's to know that a bunch of GTs have KR hoods on them? Are they storming the offices of Shelby? No.

Just food for thought.

those hoods came from SAI they were restricted and controlled

Archived