TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can we buy the actual KR hood

wildcat

If you're picky like me, you've noticed that the "KR-style" proglass hood has a very wide connector between the two halves of the front scoop. The SS hood, on the other hand, has a tiny connector. Neither is the same as the KR hood, which I think looks just right. If I'm going to have to switch from my stock GT500 hood (supercharger reasons), the KR hood is the way to go. But I don't want a "KR-style" hood that is actually different. I want it to look right. Can we buy the KR hood? (All I've heard about so far is the SS hood and the proglass hood).

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're picky like me, you've noticed that the "KR-style" proglass hood has a very wide connector between the two halves of the front scoop. The SS hood, on the other hand, has a tiny connector. Neither is the same as the KR hood, which I think looks just right. If I'm going to have to switch from my stock GT500 hood (supercharger reasons), the KR hood is the way to go. But I don't want a "KR-style" hood that is actually different. I want it to look right. Can we buy the KR hood? (All I've heard about so far is the SS hood and the proglass hood).

Nope. The actual KR Hood is not available. The only way to get it is by buying a KR.

Well, yes technically you can buy one. They will cost somewhere around $100,000 to $180,000 with ADM, come with 4 Alcoa 20" wheels and a 540 H.P. Supercharged 5.4 engine.

But, hey they are Carbon Fiber hoods so it's worth the price. :redcard::banghead::hysterical2:

Production KR comes with 18" wheels. SAI will offer the 20" as an option.

At the New York Auto Show this year Ford will be unveiling the 2008 Ford Shelby GT500 KR "King of The Road" limited edition Mustang. The Shelby GT500 KR Mustang will feature a 540 horsepower 5.4L supercharged V8 with Ford Racing Power Pack upgrade, 3.73:1 rear axle ratio, short throw shifter and a beefed up suspension. The exterior of this beast will get a unique Carbon composite hood, 18-inch wheels and special 40th Anniversary badging along with GT500 KR striping.

Shelby-designed 'GT500KR' 20-inch wheels (18-inch version for production)

I am sure that they will sell teh hood as a spare part to fix KR's who may have been involved on an accident........perhaps you can get one via a body shop.

Maybe, but you'll need to provide SAI with a KR VIN before they will ship it, and I believe that they are going to request the damaged hood as a core before a new one is shipped out. Amy and the team have already figured out this angle and have developed steps to prevent fraugulent purchases of body parts and other items that are specific to a particular model Shelby. I also believe that they will only sell those specific replacement parts through the mod centers and not just through any body shop.

Sure, anything is possible if you try hard enough, but I do know that SAI is going to put extreemly tight controls on certain replacement parts.

Why would they be so worried about not letting people buy a KR hood, when they gladly sell all the SS parts individually? Is it because the KR hood is the only real diff. between a $45K GT500 and a $120K GT500KR? That's silly! I can buy 3.73 gears for my GT500, I can buy CAI and Tune for my GT500, I can buy lowering springs for my GT500 .... why can't I buy the hood!!!

Why would they be so worried about not letting people buy a KR hood, when they gladly sell all the SS parts individually? Is it because the KR hood is the only real diff. between a $45K GT500 and a $120K GT500KR? That's silly! I can buy 3.73 gears for my GT500, I can buy CAI and Tune for my GT500, I can buy lowering springs for my GT500 .... why can't I buy the hood!!!

Silly or not, the KR hood is specific to the KR and only the KR. It's about branding and brand identification. Same reason why the SS stripes will be thin, wide, thin, and only come black. Same thing with the billet hood pins on the 2008 SGT's. Those hood pins have "Shelby GT" engraved on them, whereas the ones you can buy for the 07' through Shelby parts only have "Shelby" engraved on them. SAI will not sell the "Shelby GT" hood pins to anyone other than a 2008 Shelby GT owner.

That KR hood is a CF hood and would probably run you about $5,000.00 plus dollars to buy one if you could, so yeah, the hood is one of the big differences between the KR and all other Shelby mustangs.

Selling the SS parts is different because the SS cars are being built post registeration and SAI decided to offer MOST of the SS parts without restriction. And even though anyone can buy and install the SS parts, in the end they will not be condsidered to be Super Snakes, and the few items that you won't be able to buy in order to clone an SS will be the SS badging. SS badging and stripes will be under the same restrictions as the KR hood and the other items I mentioned above.

Yep you can buy one after the first of the year but like SD says you gotta use the rest of the car for spare parts then :hysterical2:

You all really think that you will not be able to purchase a real authentic KR hood in the future?

I would bet the world that they will be available in the future, my guess is one year after the 08 KR is out.

Think about it, when has this been done, if you have the coin, you will be able to order the hood.

Also this is a Ford product, so SAI will not have a say in the matter IMO. This is not a mod car like the SS

Ford is out to make money and if they can sell 10,000 more KR hoods and they can produce them, they will be sold!

What a slap in the face to the owners of a regular GT500 Mustang that paid as much as $25k over to own a limited edition 2 year car with parts unique to the GT500, oh wait, they lied, the car is not limited, will be produced for 3-5 years maybe more and I know for a fact any body with a Mustang can go out and buy a GT500 hood or wheels or whatever else they may want.

Why would the KR be any different, they are just saying this now to fool those that buy the car into thinking they are buying something truly unique. I will not be fooled again.

The KR is nothing but a GT500 with 373, CAI, Handling Pack, Aloca wheels, FRPP Mufflers, short shifter, and some specific design cues. Expect there to be many, many, many KR replica's out there in the near future. Sorry

You all really think that you will not be able to purchase a real authentic KR hood in the future?

I would bet the world that they will be available in the future, my guess is one year after the 08 KR is out.

Think about it, when has this been done, if you have the coin, you will be able to order the hood.

Also this is a Ford product, so SAI will not have a say in the matter IMO. This is not a mod car like the SS

Ford is out to make money and if they can sell 10,000 more KR hoods and they can produce them, they will be sold!

What a slap in the face to the owners of a regular GT500 Mustang that paid as much as $25k over to own a limited edition 2 year car with parts unique to the GT500, oh wait, they lied, the car is not limited, will be produced for 3-5 years maybe more and I know for a fact any body with a Mustang can go out and buy a GT500 hood or wheels or whatever else they may want.

Why would the KR be any different, they are just saying this now to fool those that buy the car into thinking they are buying something truly unique. I will not be fooled again.

The KR is nothing but a GT500 with 373, CAI, Handling Pack, Aloca wheels, FRPP Mufflers, short shifter, and some specific design cues. Expect there to be many, many, many KR replica's out there in the near future. Sorry

I agree...

The KR Hood is not a Ford part. It is installed by SAI after the fact just like some of the parts on the SGT. So you won't be able to order the hood through Ford. It will have to be ordered through SAI.

Amy has already posted before stating the only way you can order a KR Hood is if you own a KR and you will be required to return the damaged hood first or they will not send a replacement hood out.

But I suspect there will be after market hoods that will be designed to look exactly the same, only they won't be carbon fiber and won't cost an arm and leg to get.

Chuck, see my comments below

>>> That is correct we have no intention of selling these hoods without the KR

>>>The KR will be the only car to have this hood, I will take that bet

>>> This is a Shelby product, This car is built with ford, we both agree or we dont do it, The hood will not be sold without the car

>> Again, this is a shelby decision

>> Because We are limiting the car, I am not sure where you say the gt500 from ford is limited except in number, The parts, we agree

>> Actually that is not true. We are doing other performance parts, the new CF splitter, the new brake ducts front and back, the specific wheels, the handling and the new exhaust.

So, I understand you want something, but the reason to not sell is to keep the cars more limited. A Gt500 is a great car, This does nothing to hurt your car, if anything I think it helps, If people could fake the GT500KR, then it would devalue the gt500. The idea is to keep all the shelby's special

Amy

I'd say that's pretty clear. :finger:

Thanks for clearing up the confusion Amy.

Refreshing to hear something from a guy that is using his grey matter.

The aftermarket will be all over this one and like Dude said at a reasonable cost. Hoods and every other component needed to clone a KR will be readily available from the custom vendors. The KR is going to be relatvely easy to copy as it is essentially a bolt on redo of a stock GT500 to date. I doubt that it will be long before you have a choice among entire KR clone packages that will include everything needed with mounting hardware ready to paint and install. There will be affordable alternatives here for those who favor the KR appearence but have not signed on to the notion of this KR offering having "investment potential".

To be objective about it, a "clone" appearance kit to convert a GT500 into a KR would be pretty simple ...

1) Hood

2) Badging

3) Wheels

Add suspension, CAI/Pulley/Tune, and 3.73's and you've got a car that looks just like the KR except with about 100 extra HP! And you won't feel guilty putting miles on it either, which is the point of having one, right!

Guys, your right, there will be fake kits out there, we have already shut down half a dozen, see we own the patent on this car and its parts and we along with Ford will dilligently stop anyone who makes these parts. This protects us, Ford and the people who buy the cars.

You have a Shelby Gt500, why would you slap on fake parts made by someone else?

Amy

Guys, your right, there will be fake kits out there, we have already shut down half a dozen, see we own the patent on this car and its parts and we along with Ford will dilligently stop anyone who makes these parts. This protects us, Ford and the people who buy the cars.

Amy

No F'in way.

it would be nice to have the kr hood without the carbon fiber expense..in the end i am not sure it matters..no kr will be seen on the road...i have only seen a few gt500's on the street and maybe a dozen shelbyGT (which need to be gt350's)...this hobby has gone completly stupid due to $$$$$$$$$$$$.....

Don't understand the reasons stated for SAI selling an SS hood and not a KR hood? Both the KR and SS leave Ford as a Shelby, and both have the necessary parts bolted on giving them an SS or KR Dash/Fender Plaque. It's all in ones perception, seems to me.

Maybe a contract that was signed? or ?? it might have to do with a marketing agreement?

But this was stated at the begining and it looks like they are serious about it :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: and they do own the rights

Ask Coach, Tiffany, Gucci, and the like how much success they have had at squelching the knock of market.

While your point is true, there is a gigantic difference between the MULTI BILLION DOLLAR garment and fashion industry vs. aftermarket body panel companies that specialize in fiberglass aftermarket body panels. It's a whole lot harder to police, arrest, and prosecute overseas companies that knockoff shoes, purses, clothes, etc. when the COUNTRIES they are operating in condone what they do and protect them prosecution.

With a current projected total of about 18,000 GT500 that will be produced, and the potential that 2 to 5% of that total would desire having a fiberglass knockoff KR hood on their 500’s, I just don’t think that the knockoff companies in China, The Philippines, Pakistan, or any other country that condones and supports that type of manufacturing are going to line up to make a product for such a small market. I also don’t think that a company like Cervini’s Auto Design, arguably one of the largest aftermarket fiberglass body panel companies in the U.S. will take a chance and get their asses fried with a copyright infringement lawsuit filed against them from both SAI and FoMoCo.

Could you find a local “mom and pop” company to make you a hood? I’m sure you could, but I would personally be concerned about the quality, fit, and finish of their product in the end, and the last thing that I would want to put on my car is a body panel that does or will look like crap on it.

Amy

This thread is really frustrating me because I was really looking forward to buying an aftermarket (preferably Shelby) KR hood and still will if a nice one becomes available. Amy please explain how you can sell the SS hood and not the KR. If you really cared you wouldn't sell the SS either.

My father is an original 68 KR convertible owner and I was really looking forward to parking my new 08 GT500KR convertible next to his. I have been saving for the last 3 years for that goal.

Unfortunately:

There will be no KR convertible

The KR ADM will be outrageous

The SS price is too much for me

and now you are trying to crush my KR convertible clone dreams

Thanks

How about you make a GT500KR convertible that only sells at MSRP.

I am just venting because I know nothing I do will change anything at Shelby. I believe if there is a big enough demand they will sell them again later but if they sold them right now it would devalue the KR just a little bit and decrease their SS hood sales alot and Shelby wouldn't make as much profit selling both hoods.

So, I understand you want something, but the reason to not sell is to keep the cars more limited. The idea is to keep all the shelby's special.

Amy

Is that why Shelby is still selling 65 Cobras?

Amy

This thread is really frustrating me because I was really looking forward to buying an aftermarket (preferably Shelby) KR hood and still will if a nice one becomes available. Amy please explain how you can sell the SS hood and not the KR. If you really cared you wouldn't sell the SS either.

My father is an original 68 KR convertible owner and I was really looking forward to parking my new 08 GT500KR convertible next to his. I have been saving for the last 3 years for that goal.

Unfortunately:

There will be no KR convertible

The KR ADM will be outrageous

The SS price is too much for me

and now you are trying to crush my KR convertible clone dreams

Thanks

How about you make a GT500KR convertible that only sells at MSRP.

I am just venting because I know nothing I do will change anything at Shelby. I believe if there is a big enough demand they will sell them again later but if they sold them right now it would devalue the KR just a little bit and decrease their SS hood sales alot and Shelby wouldn't make as much profit selling both hoods.

So, I understand you want something, but the reason to not sell is to keep the cars more limited. The idea is to keep all the shelby's special.

Amy

Is that why Shelby is still selling 65 Cobras?

I am in the same boat, I would like the KR hood so my 08 matches my 68. I really do not need the KR package even if I could justify the base cost let alone the SIGNIFICANT ADM the dealers will charge merely for the pleasure of doing business with them. I already gave them $2k on my base 08 which I am ok with it still is hard to swallow based on what I got in return.

I have posted this before and commented its a slippery slope so I will not go to far, but if Shelby was overly interested in keeping all Shelby's special they would not be making Cobra's GT500E, GT350SR, and a host of other products over the years. Last I checked you can still go online and buy all the parts to clone an older Shelby.

I ask why would you care about the KR hood and not the vintage KR hood? Mainly because the cost of managing the vintage after market parts is huge and there is no current downside in that their sales do not affect a currently marketed offering.

So the real argument here is how can you sustain a KR market where the package cost (IMHO is justifiable considering the COGS) and HUGE ADM is viable to the market you are addressing, if you offer the components piecemeal?

My argument would be there are two subsegments to the new Shelby market. Those who in the depths of winter have their cars locked away under cover, and those who enjoy driving, racing, running errands, and overall experiencing life in their GT500. The latter like myself will buy the parts I want, wheels, tunes, tires, etc to make my car how I like. For my liking it will be fast with styling representative of my 68 GT-350. The KR package if cost was not an option is not viable because I would like the Shelby 10 spokes with WIDE tires, KR hood and a couple other minor mods with Evolution performance handling my power needs. Thats just me though its no more right or wrong than any other offering or owners build.

The other segment is interested in authenticity and projected value. This frankly does not come by a hood or a badge, it comes by pedigree, certification, history and originality. They will have to have Shelby parts.

So I would ask Amy/Carrol/Ford to reconsider a couple things,

1. Does offering a KR hood really ruin the KR market? As posted above if it does why then does the SS hood not?

2. If not, could a KR like hood be offered by Shelby less carbon fiber, the CAI ducting, or ? in order to differentiate the KR offering.

3. Lastly if none of those are options, allow even under licensing, a KR like hood to be reproduced in the after market. (I say license so that you can protect the KR intellectual property and still allow me and others artistic license to modify our cars as we desire.)

My last comment probably belongs in the club thread but this issue IMHO reflects the challenge of bringing the needs of SAAC and Team Shelby together;

**This is more an editorial on my opinion seeing SAAC from birth through team Shelby now, what caused people to become disenfranchised over the years is the fact that they felt the clubs goals seemed to exclude their cars. With the shift from SAAC to Team Shelby I hope the new leadership recognizes the importance of protecting the brand equally from vintage to new. Without recognizing what went wrong with SAAC, I doubt we will ever be able to re-unite the two groups in the future**

My 2 cents from the leather couch here in Colorado :shift:

Dennis

Amy

I'm another one of the many who feel that the KR hood is the best looking hood ever to grace a modern Mustang. I don't know why such subtle differences make us feel so passionately about it, but they do. I understand all that has been said. But, we are expressing our emotions here, our desire to modify our GT 500s into our own personal vision. I hope that in one form or another, the KR hood is made available. I would happily buy it from SAI, but if they refuse to do so, I would/will buy elsewhere. I'm not going to buy poor quality pieces and slap them on my Shelby, but I am already buying various high quality parts from other manufacturers and using them to personalize MY car to my tastes. I don't feel constrained to keep my car original, or use only Shelby parts as some do. I plan to buy many parts from SAI (can't wait for that 6 speed shifter). Sounds like the hood won't be one of them, but I hope that those of us who want that look (and have no intention of ever trying to pass our cars off as KRs) won't be vilified by anyone.

Really though, it's much harder to successfully fake a modern car than it was the classics. It's more done for "posing" than for monetary gain, and those who do it tend to be ridiculed anyway. I don't see the benefit of restricting the hood.

Thanks for clarifying Amy!

So is the hood the only true part on the KR that will not be available to the regular joe blow?

I have always been interested in the CF splitter and so on, but the exhaust and CAI seems to all already be available?

When I had a 99 Cobra, I always wanted to clone the 00R, and I personally think many GT500 owners will want to clone the KR as well.

Back in the day, how different was the KR from the regular GT500, I thought I heard Mr. CS state that they were really the same car performance wise. This time around it seems much different.

Also I think most GT500 owners are really only interested in the hood, because lets face it, most regular GT500 owners already have way more performance than the KR will put out.

The 725hp SS is really the only stock GT500 with performance above and beyond a fairly stock GT500!

it would be nice to have the kr hood without the carbon fiber expense..in the end i am not sure it matters..no kr will be seen on the road...i have only seen a few gt500's on the street and maybe a dozen shelbyGT (which need to be gt350's)...this hobby has gone completly stupid due to $$$$$$$$$$$$.....

I agree

I see more Vettes, 911's, Ferrari's, and so on than I do modern day Shelby's

I have seen 1 or 2 SGT's and maybe 5 GT500s since they came out

Archived