TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can we buy the actual KR hood

wildcat

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's odd... The last time I looked at the Trufiber Venom hood, it didn't have the vents, it had a sloped, finished indentation. Now the text shows that it comes with a removable louver. Guess that was the #1 complaint. I do wish those vents were a bit smaller, but other than that it looks like the closest option to the KR.

Checkout this link... looks real nice.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...p;postcount=307

You know, I did not like the center strut on this hood previously, until I really looked closely at my 68s. The wider center strut is actually more representative of the original hood than the KR. I think I still like the KR hood better as it mirrors the modern look of the new Shelby but I could go either direction really.

Dennis

the 1968 KR was basically no different then the 1968 "regular 500's"...yea supposably diferent heads and so on..KR was to be trademarked on the corvette and shelby as he always does stuck it to GM.....there are a lot of games being played with horsepower where stated horsepower is far far from actual....(same can be said for total harmonic distortion if your into hi-fi stereo's)...may be 10 years ago 1 of the auto rags dynoed a 70 boss 302 and found only 180 real wheel horsepower..point is this is the golden age of horsepower...more now then ever has been so no need to plunk down serious money on the old iron that is rebirthed from rusted out hulks

Checkout this link... looks real nice.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...p;postcount=307

Interesting, that's a different hood than the one they are now selling! Did they change it, or are they offering both? Notice that the split in the "nostrils" goes right up to the leading edge of the hood, as opposed to ending several inches before the edge. I like the one on the yellow car better, personally. I'm looking forward to hearing more about that one...

This style of hood is going to be an even more popular item once the KR hits the streets an receives more attention from the automotive press and various internet sites. There will be more than a few to choose from in the aftermarket. It really won't matter whether SAI sells them or not. Cloning this KR is not going to be difficult at all.

Who in their right mind would want to pay $6K - $7K for the real KR hood anyway? For a small fraction of that cost there will be plenty to choose from that look very close. Is the carbon fiber worth it for that much more money? Not to me!

Who in their right mind would want to pay $6K - $7K for the real KR hood anyway? For a small fraction of that cost there will be plenty to choose from that look very close. Is the carbon fiber worth it for that much more money? Not to me!

I would expect in short order we will see very similar if not an exact copy of the KR hood in carbon fiber for close to or under $1K. Unless the KR style is somehow copy write protected, they will be exact I would think. Siebon already manufactures OEM style in carbon fiber for under $1K

the 1968 KR was basically no different then the 1968 "regular 500's"...yea supposably diferent heads and so on..KR was to be trademarked on the corvette and shelby as he always does stuck it to GM.....there are a lot of games being played with horsepower where stated horsepower is far far from actual....(same can be said for total harmonic distortion if your into hi-fi stereo's)...may be 10 years ago 1 of the auto rags dynoed a 70 boss 302 and found only 180 real wheel horsepower..point is this is the golden age of horsepower...more now then ever has been so no need to plunk down serious money on the old iron that is rebirthed from rusted out hulks

Holly crap! Tell us how you feel about the classics. Those HP numbers are off the mark and far from the truth.

The Boss 302s were not quite the barn burners that some may believe. They were mid to upper 14 sec. cars that trapped in the 90's.

This would put their rear wheel HP # well under 300 considering the 3400 curb weight. Relatively weak by todays perf. car standards.

I would believe 250rwp from a bone stock Boss 302, but that's really not the point. The point is there is zero reasons to justify slamming any Classic Mustang and the Boss 302's were special even in their day. Just no need for it, I'll leave it at that.

The Boss 302s were not quite the barn burners that some may believe. They were mid to upper 14 sec. cars that trapped in the 90's.

This would put their rear wheel HP # well under 300 considering the 3400 curb weight. Relatively weak by todays perf. car standards.

Here are some FACTS:

The 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302

Specifications

Wheelbase, inches: 108.0

Weight, lbs: 3,300

Number built: 7,013

Base price: $3,720

Standard Engine

Type: ohv V-8

Displacement, cid: 302

Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.

Compression ratio: 10.5:1

Horsepower @ rpm: 290 @ 5800 Far from 180 H.P.

Torque @ rpm: 290 @ 4300

Representative Performance

0-60 mph, sec: 6.5

1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 14.8 @ 96

Here are some FACTS:

The 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302

Specifications

Wheelbase, inches: 108.0

Weight, lbs: 3,300

Number built: 7,013

Base price: $3,720

Standard Engine

Type: ohv V-8

Displacement, cid: 302

Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.

Compression ratio: 10.5:1

Horsepower @ rpm: 290 @ 5800 Far from 180 H.P.

Torque @ rpm: 290 @ 4300

Representative Performance

0-60 mph, sec: 6.5

1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 14.8 @ 96

I found this in Mustang and Fords

"Spin the crankshaft to 6,000 rpm with this puppy and you're going for the ride of your life. The Boss 302 makes 290 hp at 6,000 rpm through a close-ratio Ford Top Loader four-speed and superlow rear-end gears. That's screaming like a bratty kid being hauled empty-handed from a candy store. It's like being kicked in the behind by your ol' man for being two hours late for dinner.

The Boss 302 was never late for anything, especially the finish line. In 1969-70 this engine and the Mustang ride it was born for clobbered the Camaros, the Firebirds, the AMXs, and the Barracudas in SCCA competition--keeping Ford's reputation for winning safe until the end of factory-backed racing in 1971."

Edit: Boy did I ever help get this thread off track.

It's been a long time but I owned a '70 Boss 302 in the mid-late 70s. Stock I used to run mid 14's (don't recall the mph). With headers, header mufflers (the extent of my exhaust), the optional Ford Boss 302 cam and a 700 double-pumper Holley, I ran a best of 12.3 @ 110 mph at 4100 feet elevation. And street tires too. I'll always remember that run.

Willie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BMC Customs:

Photo_021908_001.jpg

Photo_021908_002.jpg

I'm still not sold on the 'Almost There' styling of the aftermarket replica hoods. I would KILL for a real KR hood, other than the 20" Alcoas that is the extent of my visual mods.

If the KR is unavailable, I think I'll do the SS hood from Shelby, I still think it would look awesome with dual stripes and Alcoas :happy feet:

500ss12-1024.jpg

BMC Customs:

Photo_021908_001.jpg

Photo_021908_002.jpg

I'm still not sold on the 'Almost There' styling of the aftermarket replica hoods. I would KILL for a real KR hood, other than the 20" Alcoas that is the extent of my visual mods.

If the KR is unavailable, I think I'll do the SS hood from Shelby, I still think it would look awesome with dual stripes and Alcoas :happy feet:

500ss12-1024.jpg

I've spent alot of time comparing photos of the KR hood to the various "venom" hoods and there is no comparison. The KR hood is elegant in its execution. The vent openings are not as high as the Venom hood and they are further forward. The way the hood slightly curves on its way to the cowl is perfect. Someone need to make that hood, not some clumsy almost knockoff.

I've spent alot of time comparing photos of the KR hood to the various "venom" hoods and there is no comparison. The KR hood is elegant in its execution. The vent openings are not as high as the Venom hood and they are further forward. The way the hood slightly curves on its way to the cowl is perfect. Someone need to make that hood, not some clumsy almost knockoff.

The front vent openings on the Venom hood are actually slightly smaller than on the real KR. I measured them. The distance from the leading edge to the leading edge of the raised front opening are within 1 mm of being the same between the venom and the kr. The rear cowl area on the venom is different and the vents with the louvers are slightly wider. I do not like the 'insert' louvers on either hood so mine will be glassed in smooth so the louvers appear integral to the hood like on the grey car above.

I think much of what you are seeing a differences in the 'shape' is differences in light and shadows in photographs and colors. The venom hood 'looks' much different in dark color paint than in white glass, especially around the front air inlets. Compare the photos above of the as shipped white hood on my car to the grey painted one. They are the exact same hood from the same mold yet look different in that area. Also painting the inlet grill inserts black makes the inlets appear smaller. In the photos above of the white hood, the grills are still natural aluminum.

I would love to have a real KR hood, but they are not available yet and $6k when they are. Don't like it THAT well. The Venom is pretty damn close and better finished on the inside. The KR is unfinished and has a heat blanket like the normal GT500, Mine will be smooth and striped just like the outside.

Oh, and the Venom hood is made by TruFiber, not BMC. BMC is a vendor that was selling the preorder hoods. They are available from other vendors to order now.

Also for those considering the carbon fiber version, be careful as prep work on the CF hood will either be left as is or be MUCH more expensive to fix minor problems that all moulded body parts have....that is if you want them to look like sheet metal rather than fiberglass once done.

I would love to have a real KR hood, but they are not available yet and $6k when they are. Don't like it THAT well. The Venom is pretty damn close and better finished on the inside. The KR is unfinished and has a heat blanket like the normal GT500, Mine will be smooth and striped just like the outside.

So wait, Ford/Shelby is going to release them after all? I thought they were only available to KR owners.

$6k huh? I could honestly say I'd pay it..

Looks better than the other aftermarket ones.

I still want details on being able to buy the OEM KR for $6k

That is the exact same hood shown on the yellow, grey and my blue car above. The Venom from TruFiber. Its the only aftermarket hood out there that really looks like a KR. The others are WAY off the mark. Admittedly the Venom is not exact, but its as close as you can get for now.

The real KR is not available from ford parts yet. They have stated that it will only be available to KR owners. So was the mystic paint in 96 and plenty of that got sold on ebay. If the part exists, you can buy it. Once the cars are out and the parts become available even to owners, you could get your hands on one. List price on the hood has been posted several times as $6k. Will change slightly when ford adds it to the catalog I am sure.

Archived