TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Differing Slalom Times - what gives?

Have you seen the difference in slalom times between the Motor Trend mag and the Road & track mag? I do not have it in front of me but R&T was 65.7, I think, and MT was 69.7. I think the R&T was a 700ft slalom and the MT was 600ft. All the numbers in R&T were worse than MT. Why the huge difference in slalom though? Any ideas? :shrug:

All you can do reasonably is compare slalom times between different cars running the same slalom. In other words, what cars does it beat? What cars beat it? Comparing different slaloms is wasted effort - won't tell you anything useful.

Unless you have the same exact slalom set up and different cars running through it at the same time then the whole thing is useless? I can't see that being true. If a slalom is set up on different days with the same car they should be reasonably close - not over 3 miles per hour difference each time. You should, theoretically, be able to compare different cars that ran through the same slalom but where it was set up on different days.

Big -

One assumes each magazine uses the same slalom layout over and over for their own tests. I assume, and your post indicates this, the two magazines each use a different slalom - you said you thought the distance was different. Even if they are the same distance, if they have a different number of cones, the times will be different through them for the same car. As I said, you'd have to compare results on the same slalom to be able to compare results between cars to see which is better. It's no different than comapring lap times at Charlotte, Texas, and Fontana. They are all 1.5 miles, yet lap times are quite a bit different.

Archived