TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GLH one of the most missed

rare_ram

Dodge Omni GLH (1985 - 1988)

Carroll Shelby developed this car, and other turbo models, during a stint at Chrysler. The initial name of the car was "Coyote," because it was aiming at the Rabbit GTI. This name didn't fly, so in true Texas gunslinger fashion Shelby came up with GLH, which stood for "Goes Like Hell."

The GLH helped inspire the hot hatch craze with a factory turbocharged, 146-horsepower single-cam 2.2-liter four. Chrysler would make good use of this turbo engine as it saw action in the Shelby Charger, Daytona, Dodge Spirit R/T and a number of other sporty models debuting while David Hasselhoff and K.I.T.T. were fighting injustices Knight Foundation style. Sadly, the car was ahead of its time, hitting the highway before there was a real small-car aftermarket to embrace it.

MSN auto

• 3 weeks later...
Dodge Omni GLH (1985 - 1988)

Carroll Shelby developed this car, and other turbo models, during a stint at Chrysler. The initial name of the car was "Coyote," because it was aiming at the Rabbit GTI. This name didn't fly, so in true Texas gunslinger fashion Shelby came up with GLH, which stood for "Goes Like Hell."

The GLH helped inspire the hot hatch craze with a factory turbocharged, 146-horsepower single-cam 2.2-liter four. Chrysler would make good use of this turbo engine as it saw action in the Shelby Charger, Daytona, Dodge Spirit R/T and a number of other sporty models debuting while David Hasselhoff and K.I.T.T. were fighting injustices Knight Foundation style. Sadly, the car was ahead of its time, hitting the highway before there was a real small-car aftermarket to embrace it.

MSN auto

I miss mine when ever I take it appart and mess with it lol. The GLH in 84, the first year had no ground effects and was just a high compression engine. Funny as the non turbo was Spiecal and the turbo was the grandma engine. The carb engine had a spiecal carb, block, timing gear, pistons, valve cover, exhaust, trans, gearing, and a custom computer. These were all Shelby R&D changes for more power. The turbo was yanked from a New Yorker and had a computer swap to make it get a little more boost 0-60.

85-86 the GLH had a carb or a turbo but both had ground effects, 86 was the GLHS and the last 500 made. The Charger went from 83 1/2 to 87. I wish they made the GLH all the way to 90. I also miss the GLH because it was a hot rod that was cheap. The 323 GTX, 16v intercooled turbo rice burner had a wopping 132 HP, 14 less than the GLH and it had a lot more drivetrain to turn. The GTX cost 13,000 and the GLH turbo cost only 7,300, even the GLHS cost 11,700 new. So you could buy a car that was either 2 or 3 seconds quiker in the 1/4 and handled better for thousands less. Today you must buy the most expensive, heavy tank with every option to get the big engine. Every SRT 8 Mopar weighs over 4,000 lbs and cost over 40,000 new. The closest thing to a real performance car per $ is a base model Mustang converted to a CS6 today.

Archived