TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can't make up my mind

pottydr

I have the 2.6 KB Polished and ready to go, but I would like to wait on the paxton kit from the mod shop, but would like to have a supercharger installed by the vegas trip and now SHELBY PARTS does not have any gauge pods, tomorrow Iam going to flip a coin and deside.

I have the 2.6 KB Polished and ready to go, but I would like to wait on the paxton kit from the mod shop, but would like to have a supercharger installed by the vegas trip and now SHELBY PARTS does not have any gauge pods, tomorrow Iam going to flip a coin and deside.

Decisions, decisions...

Shelby Parts may not have any pods in, but I suspect that the mod shop does. That might be another compelling reason to have SAI install the Paxton. I would contact Bud and see what he says.

Just a thought.

Decisions, decisions...

Shelby Parts may not have any pods in, but I suspect that the mod shop does. That might be another compelling reason to have SAI install the Paxton. I would contact Bud and see what he says.

Just a thought.

+1

Hey Doc go with the Paxon and Shelby gauge pod. IF I was going to do it I would probably go Paxon even though the Whipple is low end power and incredible out of the hole and through the power band. But thePaxon says"SHELBY" right on it and that alone is alomost enough to take anyone over the edge. Your lucky you have the best of both worlds-

Hey Doc go with the Paxon and Shelby gauge pod. IF I was going to do it I would probably go Paxon even though the Whipple is low end power and incredible out of the hole and through the power band. But thePaxon says"SHELBY" right on it and that alone is alomost enough to take anyone over the edge. Your lucky you have the best of both worlds-

Good Post Swedeman...my piggy bank is going toward the paxton. :)

Good Post Swedeman...my piggy bank is going toward the paxton. :)

YUP. :yup:th_20070516009.jpg

Definately a good way to go.

Roots style is the way to go hands down !! Theres a reason all the manufacturers use them. The driveability advantages are enormous.

But what about the realities of strapping those things to a 4.6 motor? There does not seem to be much data on how long the 4.6 can handle the higher boost levels. Not a criticism coming from me but more like a question, "I wonder how long the motor will last with one types vs. the other?" Jim

i dont think i'll ever put a supercharger on mine. i hate to have to replace the motor down the road. i want this to be a survivor. not interested in selling it and getting $100,000 out of it in 30 years or anything and wouldnt expect to either.

i just want to be able to say 20 or 30 years from now "yes, it has original motor and everything and not for sale. you can sell stock, but you never sell a shelby :do what: "

But what about the realities of strapping those things to a 4.6 motor? There does not seem to be much data on how long the 4.6 can handle the higher boost levels. Not a criticism coming from me but more like a question, "I wonder how long the motor will last with one types vs. the other?" Jim

Haven't heard of a single person thats lost a motor. Whipple and Ford are in bed together and they did lots of R&D Ford wouldn't sell it if it was expected to grenade your motor. I've talked to Ford and Whipple and they say safety margins are there.

Haven't heard of a single person thats lost a motor. Whipple and Ford are in bed together and they did lots of R&D Ford wouldn't sell it if it was expected to grenade your motor. I've talked to Ford and Whipple and they say safety margins are there.

I have heard some of that before, as well. Maybe it was those years back in the 60's when we spent a whole lot of time putting things back together and that was without boost. I don't think Ford gives a warrantee on a Whipple when installed on a 4.6, do they? I do not understand Paxton to give one either. In the end, as long as our car makes us smile, it is right for us. How existential, I know. <_< Jim

I have heard some of that before, as well. Maybe it was those years back in the 60's when we spent a whole lot of time putting things back together and that was without boost. I don't think Ford gives a warrantee on a Whipple when installed on a 4.6, do they? I do not understand Paxton to give one either. In the end, as long as our car makes us smile, it is right for us. How existential, I know. <_< Jim

It would not be in Fords interest or Whipples to start losing motors. There are a LOT of people installing power adders these days in the Mustang community and if they were grenading motors you'd be hearing about it. Ford Warranties the 500hp version.

I wanted my dealer to install a Ford/Whipple on mine and he said it would void the warranty.So I wonder now what?I like the car but a blower on it is much more fun but at what cost?Im also greedy because 5lbs. of boost would not be enough.LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Without the Shelby gauge pod I will not install it, so looks like I gonna have to wait, hopefully I will get the call before they start the SS

I was going to wait for the Shelby Gauge pod as well, but decided to go with the SOS pillar POD.... It's killa and is a FORD OEM part, looks like it should have been with the car originally anyway... Check it out before you decide to wait.

A couple of questions on this subject - what is the cost, labor and material, for an SAI-installed Paxton? Also, what is the weight of the Paxton system? Not that I have any plans...just curious. Personally I plan to keep mine bone-stock...boring, I know...

A couple of questions on this subject - what is the cost, labor and material, for an SAI-installed Paxton? Also, what is the weight of the Paxton system? Not that I have any plans...just curious. Personally I plan to keep mine bone-stock...boring, I know...

Mine goes in for the Paxton (polished) on January 14, 2008. The price quote, installed, is $6,395, plus tax of 7.75% ($496), for a total of $6,891. I recall seeing that the weight is under 100 pounds (something like 85 pounds comes to mind). It is on the front of the engine rather than atop it as the Whipple is (for those into center of gravity issues). Jim

Mine goes in for the Paxton (polished) on January 14, 2008. The price quote, installed, is $6,395, plus tax of 7.75% ($496), for a total of $6,891. I recall seeing that the weight is under 100 pounds (something like 85 pounds comes to mind). It is on the front of the engine rather than atop it as the Whipple is (for those into center of gravity issues). Jim

Are you having it installed by Shelby in Vegas or one of their partners? Does this include the gauges too?

Las Vegas. I am going for the B-Day Bash, leaving it there afterwards and flying home. Jim

I just did a quick edit and you got in before I got it posted. Does this include gauges too?

How much time do they quote for the mod and how much lead time did you have to give them? I'm getting mine built, but might not be able to intercept them in time (they are the Barrett Jackson models). If I don't get them in time we are going out in the first week in April and I could have it done then provided I can "make an appointment". I would imagine the install only takes a day or two.

By the way, these forums (this and the Shelby - soon to be retired) are great resources for us newbies!

Thanks!

Las Vegas. I am going for the B-Day Bash, leaving it there afterwards and flying home. Jim

Also since you seem to have noodled on this for a while a few more questions. I see yours is a 5-speed. The catalog doesn't indicate if it is compatible with the automatic, but the Ford/Whipple on the previous page does mention it. So in the absence of a NOT statement is it assumed it will work on an auto? The Paxton site says:

Supercharging systems for vehicles with 2008 automatic transmission are currently under development. The systems on this page are not approved for use with 2008 automatic transmission vehicles.

so I'm still not sure of what Shelby can do.

Also, the Paxton doesn't mention an intercooler, so I assume it is not?

And finally, do they replace the side stripe with the SC badge? If that has to be done at build time I'll work harder to get it done when the car is being converted.

Thanks again!

Also since you seem to have noodled on this for a while a few more questions. I see yours is a 5-speed. The catalog doesn't indicate if it is compatible with the automatic, but the Ford/Whipple on the previous page does mention it. So in the absence of a NOT statement is it assumed it will work on an auto?

And finally, do they replace the side stripe with the SC badge? If that has to be done at build time I'll work harder to get it done when the car is being converted.

Thanks again!

The Paxton will work great with an automatic. Screen name "Clink" has that set up and loves it. You might want to PM him and see how he feels after having it for some time now. I know he takes it to the drag races so he would know. Others will, too.

The Paxton installed at SAI is intercooled.

If the Paxton is put on at SAI, they replace the front portion of the side stripe with GT/SC.

I would recommend having it all done at SAI when your car is turned into a Shelby. On the other hand, mine was supposed to be done that way but was shipped to me by accident before the Mod Shop work could be done. John Walker at SAI offered to send a truck to pick it up and bring it back but said it would just sit outside until its turn came up in the Mod Shop. He suggested that I drive it and enjoy it and that they would send the truck when my Mod Shop slot came up. I opted for that but the B-Day Bash came up and timed out right for me so I can drop it off afterward.

Because the car was shipped in error, SAI was willing to cover the shipping of the car back and forth. If you elected to take delivery and then have it go back to SAI when your slot in the Mod Shop came up, you would be responsible for getting the car there and then getting it home when it was finished.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I also went through the brain drain of "Whipple vs. Paxton" and was set on a Whipple for a good period of time. In the end, it came down to personal preference. If I was Jay Leno, I would have one of each. The people that have each type really like what they have. To me, that said there was no wrong choice. Good luck.

Jim

Also since you seem to have noodled on this for a while a few more questions. I see yours is a 5-speed. The catalog doesn't indicate if it is compatible with the automatic, but the Ford/Whipple on the previous page does mention it. So in the absence of a NOT statement is it assumed it will work on an auto? The Paxton site says:

Supercharging systems for vehicles with 2008 automatic transmission are currently under development. The systems on this page are not approved for use with 2008 automatic transmission vehicles.

so I'm still not sure of what Shelby can do.

Thanks again!

I have a five speed also but the Paxton atleast works with an automatic. Check ot Son of GT's car and a thread running parallel to this one that he talks about his automatic. The Paxton does come with a liquid to air intercooler. Yes if SAI does the install they will change the stripe to a "Shelby GT/SC." At least they have posted as such but the first cars to actually go back are going this week.

Archived