TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 Shelby GT Spare tire w/ Shkr 1000?

08SGT-ABNRGRStryker

All,

Saw the numerous posts ref the lack of a spare tire on the Shelby GTs and options to get around that. Can anyone tell me what has and has not worked well for you, and will a full size spare fit somewhere in the trunk of an 08 SGT with the Shaker 1000 package.

Thanks

All,

Saw the numerous posts ref the lack of a spare tire on the Shelby GTs and options to get around that. Can anyone tell me what has and has not worked well for you, and will a full size spare fit somewhere in the trunk of an 08 SGT with the Shaker 1000 package.

Thanks

Hi Stryker,

I bought an orginal wheel and tire from another Forum member so I could have a spare. I do not have the Shaker 1000 but what I can tell you is that my spare fits, barely, front to back. My recollection is that the Shaker 1000 compromises the space on the sides of the trunk rather than the front to back space. One thought is for you to remove one of your wheels and tires and put it in a large trash bag (to keep everything in your trunk clean) and see how it fits. If you decide to go with a spare, you will need something with which to jack up the car. I have ordered from Northern Tool Company an inflatable air jack that has an uninflated profile of 1" so you can get it under the car no matter what. Here is the link to that item: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...CD-_-707-_-CONF

Good luck. Jim

Hi Stryker,

I bought an orginal wheel and tire from another Forum member so I could have a spare. I do not have the Shaker 1000 but what I can tell you is that my spare fits, barely, front to back. My recollection is that the Shaker 1000 compromises the space on the sides of the trunk rather than the front to back space. One thought is for you to remove one of your wheels and tires and put it in a large trash bag (to keep everything in your trunk clean) and see how it fits. If you decide to go with a spare, you will need something with which to jack up the car. I have ordered from Northern Tool Company an inflatable air jack that has an uninflated profile of 1" so you can get it under the car no matter what. Here is the link to that item: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...CD-_-707-_-CONF

Good luck. Jim

Excellent information, concerning the spare and exhaust inflate jack. Has anyone used the supplied temporary tire fix machine that came with the car?

I have ordered from Northern Tool Company an inflatable air jack that has an uninflated profile of 1" so you can get it under the car no matter what. Here is the link to that item: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...CD-_-707-_-CONF

Good luck. Jim

Hi Stryker,

I have an update on the air jack. Got it and tried it out last night. First, it is a quality piece of work --very heavy duty. All parts work well and it had no trouble lifting the SGT. When I was reading the materials that came with it, I noted that this jack would also help those of you who live in snow country should the need arise. Jim

Excellent information, concerning the spare and exhaust inflate jack. Has anyone used the supplied temporary tire fix machine that came with the car?

Hi Griff,

Are you speaking to actually fixing a flat with one using the inflator and the canned goo that comes with the car or are you asking more about the inflator? Jim

Thanks Jim,

I appreciate the info

Striker, I like the date you joined the club, "A day that will live in Infamy"; Pearl Harbor Day. More inportantly to me, my birthday. Thank you for your service to our country. Have a Happy & Merry Christmas, best wished to you and all of your fellow servicemen.

My son is also in the military, all of you are always in my thoughts. Be SAFE.

Hope to see you some day on the high ground.

I'll bet you can wait to be driving your 08 GT and enjoying every minute of it.

Hi Griff,

Are you speaking to actually fixing a flat with one using the inflator and the canned goo that comes with the car or are you asking more about the inflator? Jim

Yes, does the inflator work. Will it get you to a proper repair facillity? I was thinking about getting another tire, a small temp donout (light weight). That inflation jack is the best light weigh ticket yet. I have a small aluminum jack. It reqires space, I don't want to carry any thing more than I would have to on a trip.

Yes, does the inflator work. Will it get you to a proper repair facillity? I was thinking about getting another tire, a small temp donout (light weight). That inflation jack is the best light weigh ticket yet. I have a small aluminum jack. It reqires space, I don't want to carry any thing more than I would have to on a trip.

Previously posted topics seemed to indicate that the inflator will get the job done but I have not broken it out and tried it yet. Make sure that part of what you put together in your spare tire package includes a lug wrench (for some reason, I "zoned" on that one for a time). The air jack comes with its own bag in which to store it, the hose and the two attachements. It is the size of a medium duffle bag. Jim

Previously posted topics seemed to indicate that the inflator will get the job done but I have not broken it out and tried it yet. Make sure that part of what you put together in your spare tire package includes a lug wrench (for some reason, I "zoned" on that one for a time). The air jack comes with its own bag in which to store it, the hose and the two attachements. It is the size of a medium duffle bag. Jim

Thanks Jim for your information. I'm going to put together such a spare tire package. I'll keep ypu posted. Griff.

how long does it take to inflate? and did u buy the air compressor adaptor as well?

i think i'm goin to go ahead and order the bag

how long does it take to inflate? and did u buy the air compressor adaptor as well?

i think i'm goin to go ahead and order the bag

It took about 30 seconds to fill the bag to the point of it lifting the car. I slowed things down a bit as it started to lift to not over do it. I did not, yet, order the air compressor adaptor becasue I do not yet have a big enough air compressor to make it work quickly (early next year). No question but that you will want the adaptor when working in the garage given there is no upside to working with exhaust gases if you can avoid it. Jim

All,

Thanks

I have a V6/CS6. It came with a donut spare which is not much bigger than the brakes that are on the car now. I bought a 5th tire and wheel (255ZR35/20 + 20x9 Shelby Razor). I removed the fibreboard floor covering which covered the spare well in the bottom of the trunk. I removed the donut. The new spare tire fit in the trunk floor wheel well (it was tight but did fit) although it protrudes about 1-2 inches since the tire is so wide. I put the fibreboard back. I covered it with some 3x3 rubber floor mats (edges are like puzzle pieces to fit together) that I got as a package of 6 pieces for $20 in Sears. I cut the pieces to fit the trunk and pieced them together. I did that because with the JBA dual exhaust and headers the car was very loud inside (no soundproofing in the trunk at all). To fit the trunk with sound mat would have been about $150-$200. Then I covered the whole thing with the trunk floor mat that comes with the Shelby floor mats. The center of the trunk is raised slightly due to the thick tire but it is barely noticable. I added a low profile floor jack to the trunk for jacking up the car.

I have a V6/CS6. It came with a donut spare which is not much bigger than the brakes that are on the car now. I bought a 5th tire and wheel (255ZR35/20 + 20x9 Shelby Razor). I removed the fibreboard floor covering which covered the spare well in the bottom of the trunk. I removed the donut. The new spare tire fit in the trunk floor wheel well (it was tight but did fit) although it protrudes about 1-2 inches since the tire is so wide. I put the fibreboard back. I covered it with some 3x3 rubber floor mats (edges are like puzzle pieces to fit together) that I got as a package of 6 pieces for $20 in Sears. I cut the pieces to fit the trunk and pieced them together. I did that because with the JBA dual exhaust and headers the car was very loud inside (no soundproofing in the trunk at all). To fit the trunk with sound mat would have been about $150-$200. Then I covered the whole thing with the trunk floor mat that comes with the Shelby floor mats. The center of the trunk is raised slightly due to the thick tire but it is barely noticable. I added a low profile floor jack to the trunk for jacking up the car.

Nicely done. Will have to take a look at the well. It should be the same for both our cars. What brand and model floor jack did you get? Very interested in that. Thanks. Jim

Nicely done. Will have to take a look at the well. It should be the same for both our cars. What brand and model floor jack did you get? Very interested in that. Thanks. Jim

Jim, the donut tire and wheel are standard Ford parts. They are compatible temporary tires but what diameter are they? If the temporary tire is of a different diameter would that matter on the rear axle to drive for any distance?

The aluminum jack I have is a Torin, 1 1/2 ton, lift from 3.15". Nice thing it is light and the handle removes into two parts. The jack is about 22" L x 10" W. the handles are about 20" L. This jack is light and small enough but it takes up room, in an already small trunk. Your air lift bag jack is the best idea yet. Griff

Jim, the donut tire and wheel are standard Ford parts. They are compatible temporary tires but what diameter are they? If the temporary tire is of a different diameter would that matter on the rear axle to drive for any distance?

The aluminum jack I have is a Torin, 1 1/2 ton, lift from 3.15". Nice thing it is light and the handle removes into two parts. The jack is about 22" L x 10" W. the handles are about 20" L. This jack is light and small enough but it takes up room, in an already small trunk. Your air lift bag jack is the best idea yet. Griff

The mini spares are only for short distances, they are hard on the rear end if used to long.

I had a copy of an internal test at one time but I can't find it. :-( Anyway, Ford has extensively tested the tire infaltion kit and found that in a majority of the cases where there was not catastrophic damage to the tire, the inflator worked as well as a spare. Not my opinion, nor have I ever had to use it, maybe someone over inthe GT500 Forum?

Archived