TEAM SHELBY FORUM

We take it big time

JETSOLVER

Knowing that apples to apples is just about impossible what with taxes, inclusive options I went with US base of 40930+interior upgrade at 595 to come up with US 41525. That is compared to Can$ base of 51999(incl. interior upgrade as mandatory). Using todays rates(yes they fluctuate) US to CAN is CAN$45657. The other way is US$47293. If for the sake of disscusion we subtract the fixed CAN value of CAN$51999 and subtract the converted US base of CAN$45657 we are left with a CANADIAN being nice tax of cha-ching CAN$6342. :censored: Discuss and cuss and cuss and cuss :rant:

I wonder if Ford makes the MSRP higher in Canada to give the dealers a bit more margin, knowing that they cannot charge (legally) more than MSRP. When you convert US MSRP+10k-20k like alot of folks are paying we still end up with a reasonable price. I know Ford is also very concerned about Shelbys being bought in Canada and being sold right away across the border, a higher MSRP would discourage that by reducing profit. Not saying I agree with the concept, just giving my opinion on why they might be doing it.

So I took the same ultra basic comparison to the base stang GT. They are suprisingly close; within a hundred dollars differance. Then I did a rough comparison of the % differance a Stang GT as to a GT500. In both cases the GT500 represents a 35% premium over the GT. Which is a little higher than past SVT COBRA's which were ROUGHLY 25%-30%. So why the H am I being asked to pay first a +6k markup AND an SVT markup on top of that? :rant:

Knowing that apples to apples is just about impossible what with taxes, inclusive options I went with US base of 40930+interior upgrade at 595 to come up with US 41525. That is compared to Can$ base of 51999(incl. interior upgrade as mandatory). Using todays rates(yes they fluctuate) US to CAN is CAN$45657. The other way is US$47293. If for the sake of disscusion we subtract the fixed CAN value of CAN$51999 and subtract the converted US base of CAN$45657 we are left with a CANADIAN being nice tax of cha-ching CAN$6342. :censored: Discuss and cuss and cuss and cuss :rant:

Unfortunately for us Canadians, Ford, GM and Daimler add another 10-12% on top of the Exchange Rate. In other words, I can go down to the US and buy a Mustang cheaper than I can here. Back in 2002, as FLY noted, when the US dollar was worth $1.57 Canadian the opposite was true. Ford and the others were afraid of losing market share so they artificially fixed the conversion price at around $1.22 Canadian. They were losing money, as compared to selling the same car in the US. Had they not done so a $25,000 US Mustang would have cost $39250 Canadian instead of $30500 Canadian. Maybe now that the US dollar is only worth $1.11 Canadian they're trying to make up for what they lost in the early 2000s?!

FYI, I've purchased my last two family vehicles in the US. The last being a used Loaded 2006 Freestyle Limited AWD, with navigation and 2500 miles on the odometer, that I bought for $27850 Canadian just last week. If the damn US dealer markup for the Shelby wasn't sooo much I would have bought one down there! :rant:

Using the Royal Bank Foreign Exchange calculator, a more realistic consumer conversion with Jetsolver's $41525US figure, the Shelby Coupe would cost $46101Can after exchange.

By the way, I guessed $51,205 as the Canadian MSRP back in March on the CRISPY23c MSRP Poll.

Is actually $51999 Canadian

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...owtopic=539&hl=

Pretty close. I'm giving myself an ATA BOY for that! :beerchug:

Using the Royal Bank Foreign Exchange calculator, a more realistic consumer conversion with Jetsolver's $41525US figure, the Shelby Coupe would cost $46101Can after exchange.

Not to split hairs but that is midway between my two numbers. Again its a rough comparison. I would much prefer a Canadian engineered and VIN car, but anyway you cut it that approx. 6k differance is about 12% of the price of the car! And I have to question the value in it. Especially as, for me the Shelby stuff holds no interest. If they come out in 08 with a color I like more and will sell for MSRP Canadian, I will bite. But right now I'm liking other options more. I already have a toy I enjoy very much so I can afford to be patient. If the revised performance numbers and the aftermarket come through I will reevaluate again of course. But as of now I am out for an 07 build car.

Not to split hairs but that is midway between my two numbers. Again its a rough comparison. I would much prefer a Canadian engineered and VIN car, but anyway you cut it that approx. 6k differance is about 12% of the price of the car! And I have to question the value in it. Especially as, for me the Shelby stuff holds no interest. If they come out in 08 with a color I like more and will sell for MSRP Canadian, I will bite. But right now I'm liking other options more. I already have a toy I enjoy very much so I can afford to be patient. If the revised performance numbers and the aftermarket come through I will reevaluate again of course. But as of now I am out for an 07 build car.

I agree with you that the 6K difference is BS and I too question the value in it. Again, it's the same across the board with all Ford Vehicles and is why I now, except for the Shelby, buy my vehicles in the USA.

Sorry. I wasn't trying to single out your conversion factor as being wrong Jetsolver, I just wanted to make the point that the Banks are benefiting on foreign exchange conversion.

Again, it's the same across the board with all Ford Vehicles and is why I now, except for the Shelby, buy my vehicles in the USA.

As an aside do you have to pay duty on the vehicle bringing it across? Or is that part of the Free Trade or under the auto pact? I have wondered for years what the deal is as my Father held off on a 57 T-Bird at Barret-Jackson not knowing the procedure in 2000.

Archived