TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend July 2006 GT500 - great news (finally!)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still waiting on my copy of the July MT. But these numbers seem to fall right in place with what I expected - even the latteral G's. And still it looks to have traction issues by the 0-60 numbers - but that is only a set of tires and a few keystrokes away to fix.

It is normal to compare this car to everything quick on the road. You can always justify it one way or another. Is it a fair comparison to the Vette? Maybe, maybe not, but it IS going to happen. I think Ford did a great job building this car at $41k. I would have loved an aluminum block, but the cost to do it would have made it prohibitive in production and the targeted price.

And the bashing of this car is just beginning. Some will love it, others will hate it. I will own it, and couldn't care less.

I agree with you, and I don't, some of both. Why cannot we compare sports cars? 2 extra seats weigh so much more? 2 sports cars that cost relativley the same price. I cannot compare it to the camaro yet, but I guess that would be coming next. I like your reasoning, and that is what I was looking for, not someone complaining about the # of posts I have, who cares. I just think the car is overpriced if you add in the gas guzzler and dealer rape charge, that is all, and it is still a pig of a car, when they redesign a sports car, why are they going retro on the weight also, the last gen weighs less right? I just wish I would have gotten that '04 terminator cobra when it was out. Later

Think about this...In a 4 seater there is more structure, more support, more protection, more of alot of things to accomedate the extra passangers = equal = equal a heck of alot more weight. There is no way around it.

The extra weight in the Shelby is from the iron block and the super charger. Only way it could have been made lighter is to go aluminum and then it would have been the actual GT engine. Enter the $$$$$$'s.

Ford made the GT500 an affordable, awesome performing, able to drive everyday, SHELBY, that will go the years and the distance without falling apart.

I own an 05 which you all probably know (so iam not going to post anymore of my pictures) but Iam proud of it hahahaa. Its (S197) a very solid platform and a great design. So, enter a great start on a Shelby design. Now ,the rest (mechanical automotive engineering design background aside) and I ended up as a restaurant owner.!!!! Why and how we will save for the gathering.

OK back to the ranch even though I wasnt involved in the process, that aside, but given the peoples talents and knowledge that were involved, and am saying there are some great names/ talents. I am willing to bet MSRP and some that 2007 Shelby is going be a car that those who didnt buy one at any price wish they did. Another friggin long post darn!!!! Sorry I try to keep it short but it takes soo long to climb on this stupid soap box :banana piano: oooops wrong one hehehehe :soapbox::hysterical2: try the veal. I tend to ramble and not flo my sentences sometimes sorry hope it all makes sense. Gotta fly to the eye doctor "gia sou filly moo" I will splain later.

bill

A single word post should not count toward the "free" giveaways." :cheerleader:

Why not?

(Two words) :roses:

And, by the way, it seems like your post count is dropping.

Are you feeling okay? :happy feet:

Feeling fine. Work keeps getting into the way of fun. :banghead:

1,000 lbs? No. Perhaps 700?

Those who stay the course here and buy a Shelby, probably (most of 'em) won't care about 0-60's and et's. They want the Mustang. Period. If it ain't fast enough - they'll make it faster.

For some - it's This Brand - or nothing.

Which is cool. :shift:

No Really. I believe 1000lbs is dead on................................................. after the Roof Blows Off!! :hysterical:

PSA re PSDS (think we hang around here to much?) I have it on VERY GOOD authority that you may want to haunt the newsellers/magazine shops for the next edition of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. The number we want is in there along with some other good stuff.

Thanks, I would not want a used one that was ragged on though, I meant I wished that I got one when they were new so I could do the ragging on the car. I am seriously considering the vette. It is obviously not the family car, so I don't care how many seats are in it. It is fast, nearly 1,000lbs lighter than the GT500, and they hold their value also, like they shelby will also. I think they dropped the ball on the engine, iron block? Both the c-6 and z-06 have aluminum engines, and the Z-06 is over 500hp, running with the fast European cars, too much for me, but I like the C-6 anyway. Before I paid $20,000 over the sticker for a shelby, I would just go for the Z-06 though, it is a better value. Just my 2 cents, I cannot afford either one at that price, but I could just swing the C-6. Later

Been there....done that on the Vette. Twice. I, too, can get supplier pricing for GM and X-plan for Ford so I've had two C5's in the past 6 years. Granted, the C6 is a much improved car, but here's what they DIDN'T improve:

Interior materials. The switchgear on any Vette looks like it fell off a Cavalier. It is absolute crap. The leather is even worse than buying a jacket at the Wilson's store in a local mall. It creases and stretches far more than it should and anything other than black will allow even blue jeans to fade into it. I've had the tan interior once and everything I wore faded into it. The seating is one of the top 10 worst in the industry. Look at any car mag in the last decade and if they had a bitch, it was seating. Rates right up there with the original Z3 BMW seating....you know, the ones where they finally admitted they were for wide-assed retirees that would never buy a car with side bolsters. Welcome to Corvette seating.

Electronics. God forbid you ever have an out of warranty issue on the electronic dampening or the HUD. It's a freakin fortune...and it will likely crap out on some level over a 48 month period.

Paint. If you think Ford's Torch is bad (orange peel, etc), spend a little time with a Torch Vette. Orange peel, uneven pressures, flex agent screw ups. I've seen it all.

Design errors. Actually this was a C4, but you'll love this one. Over 115 mph and the windows would pull away from the body. You could throw a cat through the space.

All this said, if you reaaallly want a GM car, knock yourself out and go find out everything you can about it.

If you want a Terminator....short of the ticking, the 03 and 04 cars are about the same. Again, try eBay. I've seen cars that have less than 1,000 miles on them. One's still in the wrapper for about 30k. No warranty though.

:shift:

bj

1,000 lbs? No. Perhaps 700?

Those who stay the course here and buy a Shelby, probably (most of 'em) won't care about 0-60's and et's. They want the Mustang. Period. If it ain't fast enough - they'll make it faster.

For some - it's This Brand - or nothing.

Which is cool. :shift:

You said it! Brand Loyalty! I am buying the Shelby cause I like Mustangs. I wouldn't consider a Corvette. The Corvette is a great car....but I am sure a Corvette Lover would never consider the Mustang either. In any case, at least they are both great American Muscle Cars.

As I have not seen it yet here is a net score. The R&T road test summary. post-142-1149105949_thumb.jpg

Um, that the R&T road test summary. This thread is about the much more favorable Motor Trend road test. Will you please scan and post it the Motor Trend data for us?

Thanks, I would not want a used one that was ragged on though, I meant I wished that I got one when they were new so I could do the ragging on the car. I am seriously considering the vette. It is obviously not the family car, so I don't care how many seats are in it. It is fast, nearly 1,000lbs lighter than the GT500, and they hold their value also, like they shelby will also. I think they dropped the ball on the engine, iron block? Both the c-6 and z-06 have aluminum engines, and the Z-06 is over 500hp, running with the fast European cars, too much for me, but I like the C-6 anyway. Before I paid $20,000 over the sticker for a shelby, I would just go for the Z-06 though, it is a better value. Just my 2 cents, I cannot afford either one at that price, but I could just swing the C-6. Later

i DONT KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GETTING YOUR PRICE'S BUT FOR EVERY C-6 I CAN BUY i CAN GET 2 SHELBY'S. AS FOR WORTH THE C-6 HAS NO MEANING TO THE CAR? THE GT500[sHELBY] IN THE LONG RUN THE SHELBY GT 500 WILL BE WORTH MORE!ALSO WAIT TILL THE REAL [PRODUCTION CAR]NUMBER'S COME OUT THEN SEE HOW FAST YOUR C-6 IS :hysterical:

i DONT KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GETTING YOUR PRICE'S BUT FOR EVERY C-6 I CAN BUY i CAN GET 2 SHELBY'S. AS FOR WORTH THE C-6 HAS NO MEANING TO THE CAR? THE GT500[sHELBY] IN THE LONG RUN THE SHELBY GT 500 WILL BE WORTH MORE!ALSO WAIT TILL THE REAL [PRODUCTION CAR]NUMBER'S COME OUT THEN SEE HOW FAST YOUR C-6 IS :hysterical:

Do you know what a C-6 is? Do you know what a Z-06 is? The Z is the one running with the ferrari's. The C-6 is the one that is like $44,000 before my GM Family member discount. If you can buy 2 Shelby's for $44,000, I wish I was shopping where you were. You can almost get the Z-06 model vette for what some dealers will be charging, for your information. I know all the letters are confusing to some of you gearheads, :doh: but just try to understand what they mean.

By the way, if you don't believe me, go to the corvette website. The C-6 coupe starts out at $44,000. The ferrari/lambo chaser starts at $65,000. Nearly 1000lbs lighter than the Shelby, all aluminum blocks in both engines, how come financially strapped GM can build a better engine for their vette's without a supercharger that is pumping out some serious horsepower? Also, I think this vette is much, much improved over the earlier C-4/C-5 vettes. I might get one, they are wicked fast all over the track, not just in a straight line.

And let's not forget that the Vette gets even lighter at speed when the roof panel blows off. Nice. :hysterical:

And let's not forget that the Vette gets even lighter at speed when the roof panel blows off. Nice. :hysterical:

If I was going to go fast at all, I would not leave the house with the panel in, if you are talking about the T-top type thing??? The roof coming off, where do you guys get this stuff from, very funny. I would ask for a refund if my roof flew off on the highway, funny though.

Hey, here's an idea- why don't all you Corvette lovers go post on a Corvette site, and leave this one to Mustang fan(atics).

The Corvette may be a nice car, but I could never, ever see myself in one, because I'm a Mustang/Ford man.

Way back in the '60's (!!) - we used to park at the local hamburger drive in and talk like this - for a while!

Then - someone would say, "where I'm from - money talks and BS walks."

So two cars would drive out to "our" place to run - and they would.

Moral - talk is cheap.

Let's line 'em up and see. :happy feet:

If I was going to go fast at all, I would not leave the house with the panel in, if you are talking about the T-top type thing??? The roof coming off, where do you guys get this stuff from, very funny. I would ask for a refund if my roof flew off on the highway, funny though.

Last Friday, GM announced a recall of 38,000 2005/2006 Corvette's because the bonding materal that is used to attach the roof panel to the space frame is failing and the roof panels are apparantly blowing off of the cars at speed. No joke. CNN dot com even sensationalized the lead in by stating something like the "occupants could fly out of the vehicle when the roof comes off" You should be able to find an article about it if you Google the topic.

Way back in the '60's (!!) - we used to park at the local hamburger drive in and talk like this - for a while!

Then - someone would say, "where I'm from - money talks and BS walks."

So two cars would drive out to "our" place to run - and they would.

Moral - talk is cheap.

Let's line 'em up and see. :happy feet:

Lets go a lap around the track and see, all the Shelby can do is go in a straight line. It is even slow at that, my motorcycle will smoke the Shelby, and with its limited top speed, that car will never run me down. I am not a vette lover, only a lover of fine cars. I am disappointed in the new Cobra, oops, Shelby. That pig may make me go back to a GM car or even a foreign car. Guess what, I do not have blinders on like some of you losers, if they don't make a product up to my standards, I would shop elsewhere. I don't work for Ford or GM, so I don't give a crap about brand loyalty. If Hyundai makes a car that would run with the vette or shelby, I would consider it. Guess what, look around, there are more people like me than people like you here in the states. I have always bought American, but tell you what, I have been turned off by all the gouging of dealers on the mustang and Shelby. I may go for a C-6 vette, or a luxury jap car? Guess I am in the majority, or Ford and GM would be doing good in America. I win the point based the current market, it is sad, but true.

Last Friday, GM announced a recall of 38,000 2005/2006 Corvette's because the bonding materal that is used to attach the roof panel to the space frame is failing and the roof panels are apparantly blowing off of the cars at speed. No joke. CNN dot com even sensationalized the lead in by stating something like the "occupants could fly out of the vehicle when the roof comes off" You should be able to find an article about it if you Google the topic.

Thanks for the info, guess I would have to go for the vertible :happy feet: Hopefully they fix the problem. I don't wish bad things on the Shelby, but it will probably not make it through the two years without a recall.

The great part is that most Ford gear heads have a brian and comprehend letters and numbers and can do calculations that envolve numbers higher than the digits on their hands. They know what a level playing field is and they know the true measure of performance. Where some people that suport other brands only know what a V6 and a V8 are and thats it. I am going to put this very simply for the mathimaticly challenged. Ok speeeaaaking sloooowly now.

a 4.6L = 281 cubic inches (all aluminunm) 5.7L = 350 cubic inches

You dont want to see our 5.7 equivalent engine

it will send you home crying

a 5.4L = 331 cubic inches (available in aluminum) 7.0L = 427 cubic inches

Our 7.0 equivalent kicks butt in any country

Mustang = Camaro = GTO = Challenger = Cuda = Trans AM = wheres the competition?

GTO is $8,000 more than a GT Mustang and I spank GTO's daily

I have friends that own Mach1's and Cobras that spank Vetts C6 vetts daily so your point?

( with dollar for dollar less money in their cars than any Vette.)

When the competition can come up with a car in the same class as the Mustang then we will talk.

Remember the apples to apples class? and the Oranges to apples? Now you have your supercharger. We Ford guys like gadgets. If you want an engine to compete with the chevys we have those in the same cubic inch variety you do........we just havent opened that can of whoop ass on you yet but trust me its comming. We are just using the small engines that handle the light wHoop ass work for now.

That pig may make me go back to a GM car or even a foreign car.

Don't let the door hit you in the back side.

Hey, here's an idea- why don't all you Corvette lovers go post on a Corvette site, and leave this one to Mustang fan(atics).

The Corvette may be a nice car, but I could never, ever see myself in one, because I'm a Mustang/Ford man.

But you didn't give me a chance to explain my position. It's Ford for me, period. I just wanted to do a public service announcment for any Corvette owner that might be on this site. "Don't forget to have your Dealer re-bond your roof panel and hope that it doesn't go bad again after the warranty expires."

The great part is that most Ford gear heads have a brian and comprehend letters and numbers and can do calculations that envolve numbers higher than the digits on their hands. They know what a level playing field is and they know the true measure of performance. Where some people that suport other brands only know what a V6 and a V8 are and thats it. I am going to put this very simply for the mathimaticly challenged. Ok speeeaaaking sloooowly now.

a 4.6L = 281 cubic inches (all aluminunm) 5.7L = 350 cubic inches

You dont want to see our 5.7 equivalent engine

it will send you home crying

a 5.4L = 331 cubic inches (available in aluminum) 7.0L = 427 cubic inches

Our 7.0 equivalent kicks butt in any country

Mustang = Camaro = GTO = Challenger = Cuda = Trans AM = wheres the competition?

GTO is $8,000 more than a GT Mustang and I spank GTO's daily

When the competition can come up with a car in the same class as the Mustang then we will talk. You must be one of the morons lining up to pay $20,000 over for that tank, pathetic.

Remember the apples to apples class? and the Oranges to apples? Now you have your supercharger. We Ford guys like gadgets. If you want an engine to compete with the chevys we have those in the same cubic inch variety you do........we just havent opened that can of whoop ass on you yet but trust me its comming. We are just using the small engines that handle the light wHoop ass work for now.

My point is some of you Ford guys have blinders on, just like you did not mention the heavy as a tank iron block vs the aluminum on that weighs much less from Chevy. GTO is only more expensive because of the situation with the American dollar vs the Australian dollar. If you want to be spanked by someone, line up against my bike, your mustang will go back to the garage wincing with its head down. I am just going by what people are saying on the internet and in magazines about the normal C-6 (not Z-06) vette being better than the Shelby. If that is incorrect, I would love to know about it, but it seems like the Shelby is not doing so good incomparisons.

Archived