TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend July 2006 GT500 - great news (finally!)

A lot of bad things have been said following the R&T, C&D, and Hot Rod articles about the GT500's performance, so in my mailbox today was the welcome sight of Motor Trend's July 2006 issue with almost 3,500 miles driven in a GT500 to FULLY evaluate this car. All the normal drag tests, handling tests, braking tests, plus a top-speed test!

You all can read the article for yourself, but here's the major test results...

• 0-60 mph 4.5 seconds.
  • 0-100 mph in 9.6 seconds.
  • 1/4 mile in 12.7 seconds at 116 mph.
  • Standing mile in 33.2 seconds at 150.2 mph.
  • Top speed (governor limited - yuck!) at 157.5 mph.
  • Skid pad 0.92 g's.
  • Braking, 60-0 mph in 110 ft.
  • Motor Trend's fuel economy during 3500 miles of 18.4 mpg.

The 116 mph trap speed for the 1/4 mile is awesome and confirms that this car makes at least 500 hp. By my calculations (hp is a function of a known mass moved a known distance in a known time), the Motor Trend GT500 makes about 440 rwhp, which is about 520 hp at the crankshaft.

Motor Trend also compared the GT500 against the Pontiac GTO and Charger SRT-8 and summed it up as follows:

"Ford has hit the sweet spot with the new Shelby GT500. Meet the new benchmark for affordable American performance cars." "No one in the world builds a car this charismatic, this accomplished, with this much performance for the money. The greatest Mustang ever? No question.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Collectively now everyone...Oooh Ahhh! :grouphug: Now these are numbers we've been waiting for. :happy feet: Thanks 5OB!

So what the heck was C&D and R&T driving?

Maybe they were driving a test mule that was a GT500 in appearance, but with the 2003-4 Cobra's running gear instead! Stranger things have happened! Although, I'm still sticking to my prior guess that the traction control had been left on (unintentionally, or otherwise).

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ May 30 2006, 08:16 PM) 16470[/snapback]

Motor Trend also compared the GT500 against the Pontiac GTO and Charger SRT-8 and summed it up as follows:

"Ford has hit the sweet spot with the new Shelby GT500. Meet the new benchmark for affordable American performance cars." "No one in the world builds a car this charismatic, this accomplished, with this much performance for the money. The greatest Mustang ever? No question.

Where are the comparisons to the regular C-6 Corvette? I know the GT500 is not even in the ballpark of the Z06, but it should be able to compete with the C-6. Comparing it to a GTO, whooptee freekin dah. I think a regular GT mustang can take a GTO. The shelby is a pig, and should be put on a massive diet. Even the regular GT is heavy, no excuse for that with a redesigned car. I bet there are a lot of terminator cobras that will eat the new shelby up, and just think, guys will be paying $20,000 over MSRP and get smoked by a 2 year old Cobra, pathetic.

While I loath MT I think those numbers are more in line with what the car should be capable of. The mileage one is one of the biggest for me. 18 is a H of a long way from 11. I could not ever justify a toy at 11mpg. I have a hard time with the company truck wizzing fuel away at that rate. Now all we need is a confimation from one of the Mustang mags and all will be forgotten.(PS Campisano is probably locked in a basement somewhere so he can't talk.) :hysterical:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ May 30 2006, 08:16 PM) 16470[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Where are the comparisons to the regular C-6 Corvette? I know the GT500 is not even in the ballpark of the Z06, but it should be able to compete with the C-6. Comparing it to a GTO, whooptee freekin dah. I think a regular GT mustang can take a GTO. The shelby is a pig, and should be put on a massive diet. Even the regular GT is heavy, no excuse for that with a redesigned car. I bet there are a lot of terminator cobras that will eat the new shelby up, and just think, guys will be paying $20,000 over MSRP and get smoked by a 2 year old Cobra, pathetic.

At only 9 posts, I'm calling something else pathetic. Go buy your GM product then.

B)-->

A lot of bad things have been said following the R&T, C&D, and Hot Rod articles about the GT500's performance, so in my mailbox today was the welcome sight of Motor Trend's July 2006 issue with almost 3,500 miles driven in a GT500 to FULLY evaluate this car. All the normal drag tests, handling tests, braking tests, plus a top-speed test!

• 0-60 mph 4.5 seconds.

• Skid pad 0.92 g's.

The 116 mph trap speed for the 1/4 mile is awesome and confirms that this car makes at least 500 hp. By my calculations (hp is a function of a known mass moved a known distance in a known time), the Motor Trend GT500 makes about 440 rwhp, which is about 520 hp at the crankshaft.

:shift:

Take it from me, a 1/4 mile gearhead, at 116 bone stock running 12.7, you have serious traction issues. Wait til someone SCT tunes this thing and fixes that throttle by wire issue, easy 2-3 tenths. I stand to what I posted a week or two ago, some mags, especially MM& FF and others, will get the production car bone stock from the factory running 12.20- 12.40's with ease.

Remember this 'delay' at the throttle is to prevent full throttle shifts to avoid breakage and minimize warranty claims. Easy fix by SCT and DiabloSport tuners

B)-->

• 0-60 mph 4.5 seconds.
  • Skid pad 0.92 g's.

:shift: Just to clear something up, HotRods wasn't 'bad', it was very positive actually.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ May 30 2006, 08:16 PM) 16470[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

• 0-60 mph 4.5 seconds.

• Skid pad 0.92 g's.

:shift: Just to clear something up, HotRods wasn't 'bad', it was very positive actually.

I haven't receieved the June MT yet. Frustrating.

i just received the latest issue of 'Inside the Oval', Ford Racing's mag that's replacing the SVTOA Enthusiast.

Jay O'Connell, SVT chief said in April that all car mags were invited to the GT500 press event. There were two pre-production Shelby's made available to the press, and the best time logged 0-60 was 4.3 seconds, and 1/4 mile was 12.25 at 117!

Seems like C&D, and R&T are best suited to road testing anything with auto trans ...

i just received the latest issue of 'Inside the Oval', Ford Racing's mag that's replacing the SVTOA Enthusiast.

Jay O'Connell, SVT chief said in April that all car mags were invited to the GT500 press event. There were two pre-production Shelby's made available to the press, and the best time logged 0-60 was 4.3 seconds, and 1/4 mile was 12.25 at 117!

Seems like C&D, and R&T are best suited to road testing anything with auto trans ...

Nice, does anyone know where one might be able to buy/view these articles online?

Damn!!! Now we're getting somewhere. 12.20's say it !!! I was right, please say it!!

Can you scan it for us???

At only 9 posts, I'm calling something else pathetic. Go buy your GM product then.

tuners

First of all, I do most of my posting on the blue oval news site, so f off. What does the number of posts have to do with anything? I was asking you to give me a reason to spend $50-60,000 for a Shelby that will get beat by a Corvette that starts at $44,000. I can probably even use my family GM discount towards the vette, so it might be even less. It is not my GM product, I don't work there. I don't care about brands, I want the best product for my money. Sounds like you are a little on the defensive side :baby: . Could it be that "your" Shelby is a fat pig that should be able to beat a vette with 100hp disadvantage? Just wondering.

First of all, I do most of my posting on the blue oval news site, so f off. What does the number of posts have to do with anything? I was asking you to give me a reason to spend $50-60,000 for a Shelby that will get beat by a Corvette that starts at $44,000. I can probably even use my family GM discount towards the vette, so it might be even less. It is not my GM product, I don't work there. I don't care about brands, I want the best product for my money. Sounds like you are a little on the defensive side :baby: . Could it be that "your" Shelby is a fat pig that should be able to beat a vette with 100hp disadvantage? Just wondering.

:hysterical: f off ?? Hmmmm..........love internet fighting. Do us the favour and stay on those other sites with your negative sh*t

:hysterical: f off ?? Hmmmm..........love internet fighting. Do us the favour and stay on those other sites with your negative sh*t

I second that.

I second that.

Statement to end all debates between Vette and Mustang/ Shelby / whatever.

If you want a car that has 2 seats you buy a car that has 2 seats. If you want a car that has 4 seats you buy a car that has 4 seats. You cant compare the two. Different class of cars. Different structures different designs. Who cares if the price is the same.

Bently makes a 500 hp convertible. Did anyone compare the Shelby to the Bently? Noooooo its in a different class. You can not say the playing field is even to compare the two types of cars.

You have to compare all things relatively equal when comparing vehicles. If one of these is off by alot then there is no comparison. Price, weight, seats, and class of car.

There will always be a weight and class difference between the two cars Mustang/ Shelby and the Vette no matter what the price difference or equality is. Whenever Ford builds a 50k base 2 seater then bring on the vette or any other 2 seater in the same price range.

Until then sssshhhhhuuuussssshhhhh on the vette. We talked it to death.

Wow! What differences in magazine results. It is hard to beleive that they are getting this big of differences. Good news anyway. I am still waiting for a bit and am going to read as many articles as possible - keeping in mind the mags are mechanical about the process and how they arrive at their opinions. A 3500 mile test is a pretty good way of testing a car though. The plot thickens!! :shift::shrug:

If you want a car that has 2 seats you buy a car that has 2 seats. If you want a car that has 4 seats you buy a car that has 4 seats. You cant compare the two. Different class of cars. Different structures different designs. Who cares if the price is the same.

Bently makes a 500 hp convertible. Did anyone compare the Shelby to the Bently? Noooooo its in a different class. You can not say the playing field is even to compare the two types of cars.

You have to compare all things relatively equal when comparing vehicles. If one of these is off by alot then there is no comparison. Price, weight, seats, and class of car.

There will always be a weight and class difference between the two cars Mustang/ Shelby and the Vette no matter what the price difference or equality is. Whenever Ford builds a 50k base 2 seater then bring on the vette or any other 2 seater in the same price range.

I would like to start off by saying that the GT500 compared to the Vette.........ohhh could not help myself.

Just something else to consider.

When it comes time to sell - it matters not what you paid for your car. What matters is what it's worth.

So - let's say you pay MSRP for one car. And for car #2 (I'm not going to name brands here, but I think you'll get the reference!) you pay $3k UNDER MSRP.

Now - when you go to sell, you're going to be $3k better off (selling prices being relatively equal) with car #2.

Of course, if you pay more than MSRP for car #1 - just add that to how much you're going to lose.

I think this plays an important role in deciding what type of car to buy - 2 seats or 4 seats.

I don't think I ever used the back seats in any of my 4 Mustangs! :shift:

Just something else to consider.

When it comes time to sell - it matters not what you paid for your car. What matters is what it's worth.

So - let's say you pay MSRP for one car. And for car #2 (I'm not going to name brands here, but I think you'll get the reference!) you pay $3k UNDER MSRP.

Now - when you go to sell, you're going to be $3k better off (selling prices being relatively equal) with car #2.

Of course, if you pay more than MSRP for car #1 - just add that to how much you're going to lose.

I think this plays an important role in deciding what type of car to buy - 2 seats or 4 seats.

I don't think I ever used the back seats in any of my 4 Mustangs! :shift:

I am here to tell you that I currently have a 93 corvette in the stable and with a wife and kid it never sees the light of day. Maybe that is why it still has 19,000 miles on it. If I go out on my own... :fan: Bring on four seats any day!!

I agree with you, and I don't, some of both. Why cannot we compare sports cars? 2 extra seats weigh so much more? 2 sports cars that cost relativley the same price. I cannot compare it to the camaro yet, but I guess that would be coming next. I like your reasoning, and that is what I was looking for, not someone complaining about the # of posts I have, who cares. I just think the car is overpriced if you add in the gas guzzler and dealer rape charge, that is all, and it is still a pig of a car, when they redesign a sports car, why are they going retro on the weight also, the last gen weighs less right? I just wish I would have gotten that '04 terminator cobra when it was out. Later

I am here to tell you that I currently have a 93 corvette in the stable and with a wife and kid it never sees the light of day. Maybe that is why it still has 19,000 miles on it. If I go out on my own... :fan: Bring on four seats any day!!

I too had a Vette that rarely saw the light of day. With two kids it was difficult so we always took the Stang. Actually sold the Vette to make room for the Shelby

Now getting back to the article, my current Stang is running 11.7x @ 117 on a slick/skinny combo and 12.4x @ 119 on D/R's. So it IS possible that with a sticky tire this is an 11 second car weight issue and all.

I agree with you, and I don't, some of both. Why cannot we compare sports cars? 2 extra seats weigh so much more? 2 sports cars that cost relativley the same price. I cannot compare it to the camaro yet, but I guess that would be coming next. I like your reasoning, and that is what I was looking for, not someone complaining about the # of posts I have, who cares. I just think the car is overpriced if you add in the gas guzzler and dealer rape charge, that is all, and it is still a pig of a car, when they redesign a sports car, why are they going retro on the weight also, the last gen weighs less right? I just wish I would have gotten that '04 terminator cobra when it was out. Later

Let me help......

www.ebay.com

There are 10 available. Most of them were purchased withHUGE rebates. Owners are trying to get all the dough out of them so they can buy GT500's and get the heck off www.svtperformance.com

Good luck.

bj

Damn!!! Now we're getting somewhere. 12.20's say it !!! I was right, please say it!!

Can you scan it for us???

what's that they say about teaching an old dog new tricks?

I have a scan JPG on the desktop, but I tried 'file attachment' and 'load image' and nothing happened. the files are about 3 mb each.

Anybody?

I shouldn't have even mentioned seats!

My point was what do you pay for a car (or anything, really) and what can you sell it for?

KBB, et al, don't give a rats hiney how much you paid - they tell you what it's worth - used.

I was only trying to bring another ingredient into the recipe of what to buy and for how much.

Owner "A" pays $45k for a car. Owner "B" pays $40k for a similar car. When they go to trade/sell - they both get the same amount. Who's had more bang for the buck?

Each of us will determine the value of what car we buy. :shift:

As an aside: Wifey and I were at the Coke 600 on Sunday. I'll bet there were - literally - a couple of hundred "motor coaches" - private ones - that sell for $400- 800k. Do these folks care about ADM's? :hysterical:

Let me help......

www.ebay.com

There are 10 available. Most of them were purchased withHUGE rebates. Owners are trying to get all the dough out of them so they can buy GT500's and get the heck off www.svtperformance.com

Good luck.

bj

Thanks, I would not want a used one that was ragged on though, I meant I wished that I got one when they were new so I could do the ragging on the car. I am seriously considering the vette. It is obviously not the family car, so I don't care how many seats are in it. It is fast, nearly 1,000lbs lighter than the GT500, and they hold their value also, like they shelby will also. I think they dropped the ball on the engine, iron block? Both the c-6 and z-06 have aluminum engines, and the Z-06 is over 500hp, running with the fast European cars, too much for me, but I like the C-6 anyway. Before I paid $20,000 over the sticker for a shelby, I would just go for the Z-06 though, it is a better value. Just my 2 cents, I cannot afford either one at that price, but I could just swing the C-6. Later

1,000 lbs? No. Perhaps 700?

Those who stay the course here and buy a Shelby, probably (most of 'em) won't care about 0-60's and et's. They want the Mustang. Period. If it ain't fast enough - they'll make it faster.

For some - it's This Brand - or nothing.

Which is cool. :shift:

Archived