TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What About Smog???

NeoGeo630

Simply put, if you live in California and install ANY part that would effect the emmissons coming out of the engine, and those parts do not have a California Air Reasources Board (C.A.R.B.) Executive Order (E.O.) number on it, then you are in complete violation of California smog laws.

You can either put non E.O. parts on in violation, and remove them everytime you have an inspection, or you can look for parts that have been through the C.A.R.B testing and have recieved E.O. numbers.

Ford Racing has many new performance parts that have the E.O. number, and those parts can be purchased through SAI too.

I was just wondering...With all of the S197's here that have performance parts (more specifically intake systems, exhaust systems, blowers), how does everyone go about passing smog checks when the DMV indicates you need one with your registration?

With the new lean burn technology in these engines, I believe they

would have no problem meeting emission standards even at 700 HP.......

Simply put, if you live in California and install ANY part that would effect the emmissons coming out of the engine, and those parts do not have a California Air Reasources Board (C.A.R.B.) Executive Order (E.O.) number on it, then you are in complete violation of California smog laws.

You can either put non E.O. parts on in violation, and remove them everytime you have an inspection, or you can look for parts that have been through the C.A.R.B testing and have recieved E.O. numbers.

Ford Racing has many new performance parts that have the E.O. number, and those parts can be purchased through SAI too.

Are these "EO" numbers on the parts or bill of sale????????

Are these "EO" numbers on the parts or bill of sale????????

On the part and/or a one time use decal that you must place next to the factory emmissions data decal. The parts will either have the E.O. stamped on it or will be on a tin tag attached to the part.

Yeah, I live in California and all cars have to go thru smog periodically. I didn't know that vehicles in other states don't get smog tested. That's why I was wondering this. But yeah basically every performance part has to be smog legal and have the CARB sticker on it or it won't pass the very first part of the smog which is the visual test. If you do put non CARB legal parts on your car, you would have to put the stock one back on just to get smog tested, which totally sucks. 50 state CARB legal parts usually carry a premium too because the mannufacturer has to pay to go thru CARB legal certification. Not to mention there's a limited amount of parts that are CARB legal. I envy all of you who don't have to go thru smog testing!!!

We used to have to go for smog testing in Kentucky. They've done away with it now. Used to be funny when we would get phone calls from the Kentucky Emissions Board threatening legal action if we didn't get our "86 Mustang SVO" tested. Ever year, we would tell them the car hasn't run in 15 years. Always got a laugh out of that

I was just wondering...With all of the S197's here that have performance parts (more specifically intake systems, exhaust systems, blowers), how does everyone go about passing smog checks when the DMV indicates you need one with your registration?

Wow, that's an excellent question, NeoGeo630! Has anyone put a blower and other parts on and then passed or failed state emissions inspections? Here in Salt Lake emissions standards aren't as high as California, but, I suspect they will be soon. Salt Lake's air is starting to look like L.A.

Thanks,

- Josh

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, that's an excellent question, NeoGeo630! Has anyone put a blower and other parts on and then passed or failed state emissions inspections? Here in Salt Lake emissions standards aren't as high as California, but, I suspect they will be soon. Salt Lake's air is starting to look like L.A.

Thanks,

- Josh

Hi - newbie to the boards here, and saw your questions with regard to blowers being installed and then cars passing smog certification.

I own a performance shop specializing in the Mustang here in Cali. I have an SN95 with a blower on it - CARB numbers are engraved on a metal plate that sits on the side of the intake manifold. The car has passed smog no problem - a good tune and CARB cert is all you need.

As for our street driving S197 customers, there are also options for Cali., Several supercharger manufacturers have had their systems approved by the California Air Resource Board.

Turbo's however, are NOT CARB legal in Cali, and we can only hope that eventually a manufacturer will step up to the plate and develop one that is.

If you have any other questions......feel free to ask or PM me ;)

Vicky

Archived