TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MY2007 GT500 production increase!

D.Boone

Along the lines of the R&T quote about a 3rd production year, here's a quote from a fellow on another GT500 site who works at Ford. This guy is reliable and he literally thinks about the GT500 night & day.

"Ford cannot tell the dealers what to do.They can only advise them. Each dealership is an independant company.They will only get it if you pay it. They will be making the Shelby in 2008 and 2009. If you wait you will get it cheaper! The third year was optional(always). It has been negotiated and it is going to happen."

If the GT500 does have a 3rd year of production then I bet whatever specialty Mustang (Boss? Mach?) that may have been planned for that year will be delayed. So I don't know whether to root for a 3rd year or not.

There is a Post Today on one of the other sites from a Person who also works for Ford. It is a very Short Quote about Production of the GT500.

"We are building the Shelby in 07,08 and 09!" :stirpot:

There is a Post Today on one of the other sites from a Person who also works for Ford. It is a very Short Quote about Production of the GT500.

"We are building the Shelby in 07,08 and 09!" :stirpot:

That is very good news.

I paid 26k for my 96 Cobra when it was new; now I doubt I could get 8k for it even though it is in perfect shape. When I bought it, I was told by my dealer that it would at least hold its value (I didn't believe them).

Now I realize its not quite the same, no Shelby magic and all, but in 96 the 4.6 DOHC with 305HP was a big thing. My point is, I don't expect I'll make money on my 07 Shelby, just hope I don't get "taken to the cleaners."

Just a little advice from an older guy who's bought and sold a lot of rides.

Don't buy any car for what you think you can sell it for.

Buy it because you want it - then sell it for what you can.

We aren't talking real estate!

There are two threads that are mirroring each other.

Here is what I said in that one.

My view is "you buy a car that you like and you negotiate a price that you are happy with" If you dont like the price you walk away from the deal. Isnt that what car buying is about?

If you are looking at the car as an investment "some investments are good, some are so so and some go sour" Ford is not in the business of selling investments they sell cars.....

.Now unless you are buying Ford stock and then there are no guarantees. Stock market is up and its down. You take your chances.

I think the only thing Ford Gaurantees is what its warrenty covers.

No where does it say that Ford guarantees the car as an investment. Sure they can hype up the car that is what advertising is all about. The Mach1 was a limited production car for 2 years and 16,000 units plus or minus a few.

Everyone is on this band wagon of investing in cars for profit. Well let me tell you" there are no guarantees in any investment market even cars".

You buy something and its only worth what someone else is willing to pay you for it period!!!

My apologies on the spelling and grammer.

Stepping down now. :soapbox:

If you want an investment, stick 50K into something nice and safe at 4%, and you will have ~$110,000 in 20 years.

This is not an investment, $ wise. Financially, it's not even close. This doesn't even take into consideration annual taxes, insurance, repairs, etc.

This is a car, not an investment, plain and simple. Well marketed, well hyped. You can say it is an investment in living, an investment in adrenaline. It will be a fun car, no doubt. Roush makes fun cars too. According to their website, over 6,000 vehicles since 1997 (I have no way to verify that, and assume the number has gone up recently). That number is a lot less than the GT500 production numbers. According to their website, to evaluate what a Roush vehicle is worth:

"1) Find book value for the base vehicle (Mustang, F-150, etc.) in it's current condition, compared to the original MSRP.

2) Find the MSRP of the ROUSH package on the vehicle (use the "Vehicles" section of the store.roushperformance.com website to help you).

3) Depreciate the ROUSH package by the same percentage the base vehicle depreciated."

The key term here is Depreciate.

There are two threads that are mirroring each other.

Here is what I said in that one.

My view is "you buy a car that you like and you negotiate a price that you are happy with" If you dont like the price you walk away from the deal. Isnt that what car buying is about?

If you are looking at the car as an investment "some investments are good, some are so so and some go sour" Ford is not in the business of selling investments they sell cars.....

.Now unless you are buying Ford stock and then there are no guarantees. Stock market is up and its down. You take your chances.

I think the only thing Ford Gaurantees is what its warrenty covers.

No where does it say that Ford guarantees the car as an investment. Sure they can hype up the car that is what advertising is all about. The Mach1 was a limited production car for 2 years and 16,000 units plus or minus a few.

Everyone is on this band wagon of investing in cars for profit. Well let me tell you" there are no guarantees in any investment market even cars".

You buy something and its only worth what someone else is willing to pay you for it period!!!

My apologies on the spelling and grammer.

Stepping down now. :soapbox:

I agree... I expect GT500s will be down in value by +/-40% in 5 years or so... where they go from there is impossoble to predict; but cars are, inherently, not investments (like real estate) because they fundamentally degrade and depreciate over time. If they do go up in value it's just because market forces (which you can never predict in advance) have artificially driven market value over inherent value. So a car that's already broken out of depreciation (like a '65 CS Shelby 427!) will likely keep appreciating because market forces will continue to drive demand against a disappearing supply as the remaining ones are locked up in museums. But the GT500 could be scrap or a gotta-have collectable in 25 years and there's absolutely no way to tell which at this point. Buy it 'cause you love it; enjoy it; sell it when you don't.... it's a car.

How much does the MSRP go up production year to production year? or taxes or all that other XXXX that is tacked on. Fuel for delivery alone will increase costs. Ours is on order. I wouldn't of paid the $10,000 + over but feel confindent at $5,000 over.

Gotta throw away my 2 cents. The first gen cars are collectable (IMHO) because at one point they were not wanted. In the early seventies they were cast away becuase of political and finacial reasons and so the already limited supply was diminished through neglect. And very few people thought at the time that they would remain the pinnacle of the hobby/industry. Now we know better and as such our cars a rigorously documented and cared for, celebrated in every way. Which means that lots of buyers are collectors :nonono: not drivers and keep them as delivered still in plastic. I would be very suprised if some fool didn't keep the car in delivery tune(governed) for some postulated length of time. The big value comes via the legend that cars like this build and that comes through driving and collecting war stories with them. I suspect that at some point a brand new car without some history might be worth less than the car that is driven properly as intended by it creators. My point is be conforted in the knowledge that several units will be put away in museum like conditions for the followers to stare at, but how many times have you gone to a museum and wanted to push,pull, poke and/or play with something you saw there. And as a final thought on this, the only thing that makes a collectable is what some person in the future's personal value in it is. Not our value. As evidence here is a car from the Barrett-Jackson show that sold for 10X its original value but if anybody would have called it collectable they would have been institutionalized at the time. Barrett-Jackson/ are you kidding me?

Just hang on there, ....................Anything great takes risk.

We passed up some pretty nice Antique cars in favor of the chance of getting this very special 1st year production Shelby GT500.

They were the pristine, low mileage, rare ones. A shot at about 15 in one older ladies garage.

But the bottom line is without risk there usually isn't a payoff. So if you are investing in it for money or the use of your funds for enjoyment, this risk has got "excellent" written all over it.

I have done some pretty risky investing in property and it has paid off twice. This is the only new vehicle that I am even considering may have investment potential. (Although, we did miss that 58 Thunderbird Convertible that the dude from Texas bought sight unseen) I would of bought the Shelby, anyway, just for the ride.

My cousin has a nice 350 Shelby and he is green with envy.

Barrett-Jackson/ are you kidding me?

That's amazing! It's funny sometimes, in model train collecting, the ugliest Lionels often bring the biggest prices because no one bought them, but colections have to have one of each, so, for that item, disporportionate demand for the available supply = high price. Better start cornering the market on Pontiac Aztecs now!!! ;-)

..just wondering, did you guys notice the bizarre 'triangulated donut' tower brace (drivers side) on that Comet! Rube Goldberg lives! (but it probably does the trick)

Yes you guys are right.I will just have to look at it as an investment into my sanity, Just knowing I have 500 horses and 1 sweet car sitting in my garage will give me a warm and cozy feeling :wub: I was talking to svt today John said they started production 2 weeks ago.Are they making the convertable last? and how long does it take to make 9000 units? I guess it will be fall before we see these up in the great white north.

Yes you guys are right.I will just have to look at it as an investment into my sanity, Just knowing I have 500 horses and 1 sweet car sitting in my garage will give me a warm and cozy feeling :wub: I was talking to svt today John said they started production 2 weeks ago.Are they making the convertable last? and how long does it take to make 9000 units? I guess it will be fall before we see these up in the great white north.

I am of the understanding that the first batch of Canada cars are up this week. Allow 2 weeks for shipping?

Archived