TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MY2007 GT500 production increase!

D.Boone

I heard over the weekend, from a source that works at one of Ford's suppliers, to expect a mid year increase in production of the GT500!

He has been told that they, (the supplier), need to be able to supply 3000 more of a GT500 specific part by the first of the year, 2008!

It is amazing what beer and Rolling Thunder biker parties can reveal! :party:

I have intentionally NOT indentified the sources name, company, or part they supply. Since I do not work at that company, I have to post this as a RUMOR, but I have confidence in it.

Damn I'm glad I didn't agree to pay over MSRP! :happy feet:

I would like to see a production increase. however could they not be just extra stuff. For example the GT500 emblems for sale on this site. i'm sure not everyone who buys them will own a Shelby. Might just want them for their mustang or to collect. I'm not sure what kind of parts they asked to be increased by 3,000.

This is potentially the biggest news this site has yet seen. With the MSRP being where it is and the ADM fiasco in full swing, another 3000 cars on a 07/08 build of 18000 units is a hefty increase(around 17% in my head). ASSUMING this is a hard part(ie front cover, rear end, supercharger, etc.) this will shift the numbers in favour of the patient. P.S. Thank you for letting us have that info!!!! And even posting it in the right place! A superior member of this board in my estimation. :beerchug:

Even if the 3000 units are added to both production years, that would mean more than 10k units per year. That is more than any other SVT product in history, and should greatly help those patient enough to weight out the high ADM.

One per car. Car won't be drivable without it.

As 1969Hot pointed out, this may be an extra run of "service" parts, but I think those would have been in the original quantity.

I am waiting for early 2008 to see what happens with pricing! (And still looking for an MSRP deal till then!)

:wacko: :wacko:

I heard over the weekend, from a source that works at one of Ford's suppliers, to expect a mid year increase in production of the GT500!

He has been told that they, (the supplier), need to be able to supply 3000 more of a GT500 specific part by the first of the year, 2008!

It is amazing what beer and Rolling Thunder biker parties can reveal! :party:

I have intentionally NOT indentified the sources name, company, or part they supply. Since I do not work at that company, I have to post this as a RUMOR, but I have confidence in it.

Damn I'm glad I didn't agree to pay over MSRP! :happy feet:

Wondering why they wont put the hood and deck stripes on the convertible

It's also posible those 3000 parts for start'08 are just the plan volume for cal year '08 (after all, a two year run would be shutting down in the spring of '08) That is, we don't know if it's in addition to plan volume for the '08 run-out versus IS the plan volume for the '08 run-out.

In either case, good insight... if other adds pop up, we might have something, because if it's a hard part, all others will have to increase too, so if anyone hears anything that sounds like 3000 of anything else, that's goodness!

Would be nice to know what that company is... just by the kind of things they make we might be abel to infer more... any idea D.Boone?

One per car. Car won't be drivable without it.

As 1969Hot pointed out, this may be an extra run of "service" parts, but I think those would have been in the original quantity.

I am waiting for early 2008 to see what happens with pricing! (And still looking for an MSRP deal till then!)

YEAH...... I JUST FOUND OUT WHAT THE PART OR PARTS ARE!

IT SEEMS AS THOUGH FORD HAS FIGURED OUT THAT THEY NEED A DEVICE ATTACHED TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE CAR THAT WILL PREVENT THE DRIVER FROM BLOWING THE DOORS OFF OTHER CARS THAT ARE INCLINED TO CHALLENGING THE GT500 TO :shift: A DRAG RACE. :happy feet: :happy feet: :bandance:

Sorry 68Fastback, to many years with high level security clearances. I gave this person my word that I would not reveal ANYTHING that might jepordize his position.

This person was pretty convinced that the additional parts were for the MY2007 GT500 production run. I believe them.

Sorry 68Fastback, to many years with high level security clearances. I gave this person my word that I would not reveal ANYTHING that might jepordize his position.

This person was pretty convinced that the additional parts were for the MY2007 GT500 production run. I believe them.

...and thanks again for the insight you provided. As much as we all get wrapped around this sweet machine, no car is worth risking your/your friend's job or friendship.... I was just thinking out loud. I've worked as a corporate planner and strategist (not auto related) for may years, so I totally understand.

>to expect a mid year increase in production of the GT500!

I've wondered all along, with Ford in the financial shape it finds itself, why would it not sell as many GT500s as possible. Or, anyother product for that matter.

Limiting production flies in the face of that good ole American axiom, "What the market will bear."

I just got the July R&T and they state that "Ford has committed to three years of production at 8,000 to 10,000 Shelbys per year." Of course they also say the GT-H "uses the same hood and large grille opening of the GT500." while showing a pic that clearly shows just how different they are). I guess someone at Ford had to tell them about the 3-years -- they surely didn't make that up (tho I do wonder about their eyesight). They also speculate that those production level should quash the high ADMs down to sticker -- we shall see.

I just got the July R&T and they state that "Ford has committed to three years of production at 8,000 to 10,000 Shelbys per year." Of course they also say the GT-H "uses the same hood and large grille opening of the GT500." while showing a pic that clearly shows just how different they are). I guess someone at Ford had to tell them about the 3-years -- they surely didn't make that up (tho I do wonder about their eyesight). They also speculate that those production level should quash the high ADMs down to sticker -- we shall see.

GOOD NEWS !!!!

I hope they keep the production numbers down, this will make our cars worth more. I just agreed to pay a $7000.00 premium over list $51999.00 to $58999.00 cdn. I was told 7000 units for 07 and 10000 units for 08.

I hope this is still true. It would be nice to think that these cars might be an investment or at least thats what I'am telling the wife. :yup:

I hope they keep the production numbers down, this will make our cars worth more. I just agreed to pay a $7000.00 premium over list $51999.00 to $58999.00 cdn. I was told 7000 units for 07 and 10000 units for 08.

I hope this is still true. It would be nice to think that these cars might be an investment or at least thats what I'am telling the wife. :yup:

Ford announced 2 weeks ago that they upped '07 from 7000 to 9000, But I think the GT500 will be a good investment no matter what. I wouldn't be suprised to see used ones well below MSRP in 5-6 years, but over the longer term, they just have to be classics that go way up in value. Even the original CS Cobras were selling nearly 40% below new 5-6 years after release (even the 427s), but 10 years after that they were going for 2x-3x and after that, well, fuggetaboudit ;-) I realize the GT500 isn't the same deal, but I think it will go down in auto history as a unique iconic example of the 'second muscle-car era' and will be a must have on most every muscle-car collectors hot list down the road (and right now!) even tho that's not my reason for wanting one.

Sorry to say, but look at almost EVERY other "hot" "special edition" kind of car - they're not investment quality. If you're trying to compare the 2007-2008 Shelby GT500 to the 1965-1970 Shelby Mustangs in terms of collectability you'll most likely be dissapointed.

The "old" Shelby's are collectable NOW because 99% of the people didn't think of them as collectable/investments back then. They were driven, abused, modified and even wrecked and parted out because they were just nice cars, not the nest egg that they are now. They're worth a lot now because there aren't many of them left.

Todays cars may be collectable or appreciate in value, but you'll be waiting a long time. Just look at EVERY OTHER special edition Mustang from the 70's until today. Just think - who would have thought, even a few years ago, that we'd have a 500hp Mustang? Now, think of what will be coming in the next 10 years!

Buy the car because you'll enjoy it. Who cares if they make 20,000 total or 30,000 total. They're still much lower totals than the standard V6 or GT versions. Trust me, there won't be a dozen of these guys on your street!

I hope your wife doesn't read this... I don't want to get you in trouble! :finger:

Gotta get my 2 cents in on this one (friendly debate only!) - Food For Thought Joe G

Theres lots of people speculating that this cars price is going to drop below MSRP as the demand dries up. This may very well be the case, However, I can tell you as a actual proud new owner of a GT500 that I would not even consider selling mine below MSRP, unless I was in real financial hardship.

Now here is the kicker for the people out there that want one but are not willing to pay MSRP or higher.

If the other 9 or 10,000 owners feel the same way as I do, let me ask you this - which way is the price of the car going ?

How about the people out there that have paid more than MSRP, how much is their car worth to them ?

How many cars are being sold outside of North America by Ford ?

How much is someone in Europe or Asia willing to pay, there is a huge demand for American muscle cars in Asia, lots of money in Asia.

If the demand is insane in North America - What about the rest of the world ?

All I can say is that my dealer in Vancouver has been up front and honest with me from day 1, which was May 2005, he has told me that not only has he sold all of his 07's he also has sold all of his 08's.

Maybe Ford will keep increasing production numbers to meet demand and maybe they wont, we will see ?????????????

I hate to see any real car buff that really wants one of these cars not get one, I know a couple of people in this situation and I told them to get on the 08 list ASAP or miss out. I believe that you might find that the 08's are sold out as well.

As always, supply & demand is going to dictate where the price of this car is going.

For the people that are waiting for the lower price - All of the luck to you.

For the people that wanted one but could not get their hands on one - better get on the 08 list or miss again.

For the people like myself that wanted one, could afford one and actually got one - Dont let the WANNA BE's and BASHERS get to you. Enjoy the car as this is bad ass machine that will be pure pleasure to drive.

Gotta get my 2 cents in on this one (friendly debate only!) - Food For Thought Joe G

No problem, rbortnick. I appreciate your opinion, especially since it was based on some sort of reasoning (I dislike the people who just flame away with "this sucks" or "your stupid because..." kind of posts!).

I hope you are right. I would like nothing more than to be able to resell my GT500 at a gain (or, at least, no loss) if I ever needed to. I hope I never HAVE TO, but who knows what the future brings?

It's just that everyone assumes that this is the only car that will ever make people feel this way about a Mustang. I just don't see it. When Ford finally makes the last GT500, there will be another model that stirs everyone to want the newest and greatest version. We've seen it before with every other SVT model up to this point. Evolution... it's a great thing!

Lastly, your right about your statement: "For the people like myself that wanted one, could afford one and actually got one - Dont let the WANNA BE's and BASHERS get to you. Enjoy the car as this is bad ass machine that will be pure pleasure to drive." I agree. If this is THE CAR that you MUST HAVE or your life will never be the same - buy it now and don't gamble. I'm just saying that history is on my side - waiting USUALLY gets you a hefty discount over what the "first" people pay!

It's just that everyone assumes that this is the only car that will ever make people feel this way about a Mustang. I just don't see it. When Ford finally makes the last GT500, there will be another model that stirs everyone to want the newest and greatest version. We've seen it before with every other SVT model up to this point. Evolution... it's a great thing!

Absolutely - Couldn't agree with you more. I bet that this will be as soon as the 08 GT500 comes out.

Lastly, your right about your statement: "For the people like myself that wanted one, could afford one and actually got one - Dont let the WANNA BE's and BASHERS get to you. Enjoy the car as this is bad ass machine that will be pure pleasure to drive." I agree. If this is THE CAR that you MUST HAVE or your life will never be the same - buy it now and don't gamble. I'm just saying that history is on my side - waiting USUALLY gets you a hefty discount over what the "first" people pay!

No doubt about this - Especially if dealers have some left and its close to the 08's coming out. Thats when the best fire sales come up.

Enjoy your car - I know I can not wait to get mine.

To the tune of I Feel Pretty:

"I have patience/

I have patience/

I have patience and patience - and more -

And I'm lucky - lucky enough to wait for more! da-da-da-da-da-da-Da-da-da! :happy feet:

Along the lines of the R&T quote about a 3rd production year, here's a quote from a fellow on another GT500 site who works at Ford. This guy is reliable and he literally thinks about the GT500 night & day.

"Ford cannot tell the dealers what to do.They can only advise them. Each dealership is an independant company.They will only get it if you pay it. They will be making the Shelby in 2008 and 2009. If you wait you will get it cheaper! The third year was optional(always). It has been negotiated and it is going to happen."

If the GT500 does have a 3rd year of production then I bet whatever specialty Mustang (Boss? Mach?) that may have been planned for that year will be delayed. So I don't know whether to root for a 3rd year or not.

Sorry to say, but look at almost EVERY other "hot" "special edition" kind of car - they're not investment quality. If you're trying to compare the 2007-2008 Shelby GT500 to the 1965-1970 Shelby Mustangs in terms of collectability you'll most likely be dissapointed.

The "old" Shelby's are collectable NOW because 99% of the people didn't think of them as collectable/investments back then. They were driven, abused, modified and even wrecked and parted out because they were just nice cars, not the nest egg that they are now. They're worth a lot now because there aren't many of them left.

Todays cars may be collectable or appreciate in value, but you'll be waiting a long time. Just look at EVERY OTHER special edition Mustang from the 70's until today. Just think - who would have thought, even a few years ago, that we'd have a 500hp Mustang? Now, think of what will be coming in the next 10 years!

Buy the car because you'll enjoy it. Who cares if they make 20,000 total or 30,000 total. They're still much lower totals than the standard V6 or GT versions. Trust me, there won't be a dozen of these guys on your street!

I hope your wife doesn't read this... I don't want to get you in trouble! :finger:

You make some good points, Joe G, and I don't really disagree with any of them including why the 60s goodies are so in demand now. But remember that none of the mid 70s-presnet mustangs are particularly collectable because, except for the Cobras, none were really muscle cars. I think the Cobras were the door-openers of the 2nd coming we're in now, so I would think the GT500 will regain its lost value, but agree with you that it might take quite some time. I mean, when we look back from out in 2025 or beyond, don't you think this 2nd coming will start having it's own good-old-days nostalgia demand just because it's another era of cool, fast, muscle-cars? And the GT500 has to be one of the better/best examples.

Heck, in 2014 you know Ford will do SOME mustang commerative for the 50th anniversary (and 60th..), and then there has to be a 2018 GT500KRH (hybrid?;-) with a tiny V8 and four wheel-hub 125HP A/C electrics (or something like that). An that car will also be a collectable because it might be the pinacle of a 3rd era of muscle cars (hybrids, or hydrogen, or ??? whatever the peak-du-jour powerplant is, so to speak).

That's why I agree with you that the GT500 will probably depreciate fairly conventionally (for a muscle car) in the shorter term (5-7 years), but after the first 15-20 or 30 years it's got to start being very desireable. And, if you can get gasoline out then, it would be so retro cool to relive actually 'filling the tank' (as opposed to plugging in or sunning-up or ???) Don't you think?

Are the only collectable muscle cars the ones from the 60s? won't there ever be any others? I think there will always be a progression of deman for cool cars/transportation-pods, we just don't know exactly what the technology will be or what they'll be named or even who will make them, but humans will always want to relive peak experiences in their past -- it's just human to want to do that I think.

Btw, I'm one who is waiting because I won't pay over MSRP. I think it's not inconsistent to think demand will come down at the end of the run (CY'08 as an '09?) and as other cars get announced, and still have it be very desireable and collectable in the long term. That's actually the normal pattern for any product with high initial demand based on uniqueness. So maybe the answer hinges on how unique the GT500 is viewed now, vs will be viewed in 2 years, vs 7 years, vs 20+ years. Who knows?

Collectable.

JoeG - on target.

NASCAR folks market "collectables."

Bull Crap.

What makes some item Collectable is no one think it will be!

Hel-lo?

Put your money in Emron, for God's sake!

Where are our CPA's?

If one bought a Shelby GT 500 back in the day - and parked it - what would be the return? VS - investments?

Get a life! :shift:

Want a Shelby? Great!

Buy one and Drive it! :shift:

You make some good points, Joe G, and I don't really disagree with any of them including why the 60s goodies are so in demand now. But remember that none of the mid 70s-presnet mustangs are particularly collectable because, except for the Cobras, none were really muscle cars. I think the Cobras were the door-openers of the 2nd coming we're in now, so I would think the GT500 will regain its lost value, but agree with you that it might take quite some time. I mean, when we look back from out in 2025 or beyond, don't you think this 2nd coming will start having it's own good-old-days nostalgia demand just because it's another era of cool, fast, muscle-cars? And the GT500 has to be one of the better/best examples.

Heck, in 2014 you know Ford will do SOME mustang commerative for the 50th anniversary (and 60th..), and then there has to be a 2018 GT500KRH (hybrid?;-) with a tiny V8 and four wheel-hub 125HP A/C electrics (or something like that). An that car will also be a collectable because it might be the pinacle of a 3rd era of muscle cars (hybrids, or hydrogen, or ??? whatever the peak-du-jour powerplant is, so to speak).

That's why I agree with you that the GT500 will probably depreciate fairly conventionally (for a muscle car) in the shorter term (5-7 years), but after the first 15-20 or 30 years it's got to start being very desireable. And, if you can get gasoline out then, it would be so retro cool to relive actually 'filling the tank' (as opposed to plugging in or sunning-up or ???) Don't you think?

Are the only collectable muscle cars the ones from the 60s? won't there ever be any others? I think there will always be a progression of deman for cool cars/transportation-pods, we just don't know exactly what the technology will be or what they'll be named or even who will make them, but humans will always want to relive peak experiences in their past -- it's just human to want to do that I think.

Btw, I'm one who is waiting because I won't pay over MSRP. I think it's not inconsistent to think demand will come down at the end of the run (CY'08 as an '09?) and as other cars get announced, and still have it be very desireable and collectable in the long term. That's actually the normal pattern for any product with high initial demand based on uniqueness. So maybe the answer hinges on how unique the GT500 is viewed now, vs will be viewed in 2 years, vs 7 years, vs 20+ years. Who knows?

Yep! You hit the nail on the head. It ain't about the investment. It's about buying a fun, not so common car to drive. The investment value will come after a period of depreciation. I could be wrong, but I think the last 100 years of automobile history will bear me out.

Oh, and paying over MSRP isn't the wrong thing to do if you want one now or, are worried about supply. I wouldn't pay very much over MSRP, but I'm not betting on getting one for less than MSRP either. What we all have in common is that we would like one in our driveway....NOW. :yup:

Archived