TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Transmission Vibration

I own a 07 White Shelby GT five speed. Has anyone else noticed a vibration in 3rd gear on deceleration only with their hand on the shifter. When I accelerate the vib goes away. The trans has done this since day one. Ford replaced the trans with a new one since it didn't seem normal that none of the other Mustang GT's (factory shifter) had a vibration and it was only in 3rd gear on deceleration. The new transmission does the same thing.

I have noticed that when I apply a slight bit of forward pressure on the shifter it does go away and is smooth as silk. Could it be the Hurst Shifter? Is this a normal chracteristic of the car's shifter since the factory shifter has different bushings. I'm not able to test drive another Shelby GT with a five speed for the obvious reasons.

Thanks for any help or advice.

I own a 07 White Shelby GT five speed. Has anyone else noticed a vibration in 3rd gear on deceleration only with their hand on the shifter. When I accelerate the vib goes away. The trans has done this since day one. Ford replaced the trans with a new one since it didn't seem normal that none of the other Mustang GT's (factory shifter) had a vibration and it was only in 3rd gear on deceleration. The new transmission does the same thing.

I have noticed that when I apply a slight bit of forward pressure on the shifter it does go away and is smooth as silk. Could it be the Hurst Shifter? Is this a normal chracteristic of the car's shifter since the factory shifter has different bushings. I'm not able to test drive another Shelby GT with a five speed for the obvious reasons.

There are reports of shifter vibration what can be caused by loose bolts that hold the shifter in place as well as a rubber boot of sorts that can come loose. I am TOTALLY non-mechanical so I will direct you to the following for now and wait for those with more talent chime in.

In the meantime I will direct you to a topic in the old forum, which is being moved over here, for now:

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=3154

There are reports of shifter vibration what can be caused by loose bolts that hold the shifter in place as well as a rubber boot of sorts that can come loose. I am TOTALLY non-mechanical so I will direct you to the following for now and wait for those with more talent chime in.

In the meantime I will direct you to a topic in the old forum, which is being moved over here, for now:

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=3154

Thanks for the info, looks like I got a new tranny for nothing. My car sat in their shop for 3 weeks while I waited for them to figure out what to do about the issue.

In spite of the inconvenience, try to consider the new trans as a process of elimination... same problem with new trans, so the original trans was likely OK. Next item to receive closer scruitiny... probably the Hurst Shifter.

I hope your concern is resolved soon... good luck.

BTW: no 3rd gear decel shifter chatter/noise to report on CSM No. 07SGT0086.

Thanks for the info, looks like I got a new tranny for nothing. My car sat in their shop for 3 weeks while I waited for them to figure out what to do about the issue.

Your Drive Shaft could cause this problem, not balanced correctly. Ask Ford dealership if they can borrow one, to prove it's not the DS.

Mine is so loud in 4th at normal hwy speeds that I have to turn the shake 500 up to 45. I'v experienced this from the get go (4500mi). When I put a little pressure on the shifter or excellerate it goes away but then my wife starts complaining about how I drive. I say "Baby it's a shelby, it likes the abuse." All kiding aside, I would like my 40k car without this glitch.

SGT182 wht 5spd, signed by all the SAI employees.

I have an 07 as well and I have the very same symptom. I read the other posts and will check with my dealer

Mine is so loud in 4th at normal hwy speeds that I have to turn the shake 500 up to 45. I'v experienced this from the get go (4500mi). When I put a little pressure on the shifter or excellerate it goes away but then my wife starts complaining about how I drive. I say "Baby it's a shelby, it likes the abuse." All kiding aside, I would like my 40k car without this glitch.

SGT182 wht 5spd, signed by all the SAI employees.

At normall freeway speeds (65+mph?) you should be in 5th gear anyway! :shrug: Probably back-torque since it goes away as soon as you accelerate. Not sure, just my .02c

Dan

i am not sure if this is the right place to post this as there are several treads on shifter/transmission rattles etc. I took my 08 in today it rattles real bad in 2 and 3 gears it also rattles behind the airbag on the dash. the service mgr. called ford the said that their reports said to remove the two exhaust hangers at trans cross member and leave them off that they are not needed.

The noise completely stopped in both places. I suggested tightening the bolts on the shifter at the transmission but they said that they were fine it was the exhaust hangers. I drive it aggressively in 2nd and third trying to make it happen and it does not.

hopes this helps. I also hope leaving the two hangers off are ok , according to Ford they are not necessary. guess we will see.

i am not sure if this is the right place to post this as there are several treads on shifter/transmission rattles etc. I took my 08 in today it rattles real bad in 2 and 3 gears it also rattles behind the airbag on the dash. the service mgr. called ford the said that their reports said to remove the two exhaust hangers at trans cross member and leave them off that they are not needed.

The noise completely stopped in both places. I suggested tightening the bolts on the shifter at the transmission but they said that they were fine it was the exhaust hangers. I drive it aggressively in 2nd and third trying to make it happen and it does not.

hopes this helps. I also hope leaving the two hangers off are ok , according to Ford they are not necessary. guess we will see.

Is this on a GT500 or a Shelby GT? thanks for posting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this info.

My 07 GT manual has developed a vibration/rattle just as you described with in the past week.

I'm going to get it checked this week.

Archived