TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 in storage

SSGT500

Last week I put my GT500 away for the winter. I then called State Farm to let them know about this and have them suspend the liability portion of my policy. This saves me a couple of hundred dollars each year. Anyone else that stores their vehicle might be able to save some bucks, if their insurance offers this feature. Of course this does not apply to owners in the sun belt.

Last week I put my GT500 away for the winter. I then called State Farm to let them know about this and have them suspend the liability portion of my policy. This saves me a couple of hundred dollars each year. Anyone else that stores their vehicle might be able to save some bucks, if their insurance offers this feature. Of course this does not apply to owners in the sun belt.

Interesting. I'm with State Farm also. I'll look into this.

HSURB

By the way, how do they list your car on the policy. They list mine as a Mustang. I called twice and they confirmed it is coverage for the Shelby GT500. I'm paying about $385 twice a year.

HSURB

The wonderful state of NY will not allow us to do this. Liability must remain on registered vehicle.

The Illinois Secretary of State has sent me notices before when some of my cars were in winter storage and the insurance suspended. When I explain to them that I have other vehicles that I drive in the winter, and they are insured, they say ok.

I used to do this with other cars, but I still have a loan on my car, and my insurance company won't allow it so long as there is a lienholder. I'll have it paid off next fall...so I'll do this for the following winter. :headspin:

The wonderful state of NY will not allow us to do this. Liability must remain on registered vehicle.

HMMM makes you wonder if the Insurance Co.`s had anything to do with that. Between Banks & Insurance Co. are the most profitable companies going .

I'm with State Farm also and I've been doing this with my motorcycle for the last 10 years. I believe the paperwork he has me sign is called "Vehicle withdrawn from use"

Just did it with the Shelby and should save about $50 a month. Every penny saved goes toward mods.

I just have to call my agent the first day I want to drive it and I'm good to go.:speedie:

I used to do this with other cars, but I still have a loan on my car, and my insurance company won't allow it so long as there is a lienholder. I'll have it paid off next fall...so I'll do this for the following winter. :headspin:

I have a Lien, State Farm & it's now got winter storage ($35/month) for the 2nd year in a row. The bank does ask for a form to be filled out, but they do allow me to have storage insurance anytime I want & it saves me $100 per month!

I do the same thing.

Have done it with my 68 Mustang for years.

Did it with my GT500 this month and no problems.

Will save me a bunch fo $$ until I put full coverage back on in the spring.

HSURB

I'm with State Farm and I've done it for years.

Do it and save yourself some bucks.

No problems here. As long as I don't drive it, Comp coverage is good enough for me.

I'm with State Farm also and I've been doing this with my motorcycle for the last 10 years. I believe the paperwork he has me sign is called "Vehicle withdrawn from use"

Just did it with the Shelby and should save about $50 a month. Every penny saved goes toward mods.

I just have to call my agent the first day I want to drive it and I'm good to go.:speedie:

Yep, every buck saved is a buck spend on new mods!!

I have a Lien, State Farm & it's now got winter storage ($35/month) for the 2nd year in a row. The bank does ask for a form to be filled out, but they do allow me to have storage insurance anytime I want & it saves me $100 per month!

Me too!

:happy feet:

I'm with Erie and they have something similar, but I can only get a discount for 3 months. I can drop the insurance to storage for a longer time but it wont affect my policy price. They allowed me to do this even though I have a lien on the car. From talking to other GT500 owners in the area they said you wont be able to beat it even with the car on a storage policy for more than 3 months. At 23 I pay around 1900 for 3 cars a year and around 800 for the GT500.

Yep that's what I did too. I've got Allstate.

I've been doing that every year since I began storing a car for winter 5 years ago. It saves me a few hundred bucks each year. The only thing my insurance company requires to grant me a rebate for reduced coverage is that the car stays in storage for a minimum of 45 days. Considering the lenght of our Quebec winters, I have no trouble meeting this condition.

I have USAA and do not use my GT500 as an everyday driver. When I got my everday driver, I called to add the car to the policy and they asked me how many miles a year I plan on driving the car. It was much lower than what I had given to them before (I think I told them 3K) and it reduced my rates. So that's another option for you is to tell your carrier that you'll be driving it much, much less.

Archived