TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Eng Noise

I started the car yesterday and had tappen noise for the first time. It did sound like tapped. Went a way but sure took sometime. Got up today and there was a little, but not as bad as yersterday. Anyone had this before, or now?

Do a search, there are several very good and lengthy posts on this subject. You will find all you need there! Good luck.

did you take to a Ford dealer and what did they say?

I did take it and the noise was not there. But if I let it set for a couple days it start up but well go away. You can still here some. I do think it is a lifter. I just really do not want them to tear into it if it is not going to get any worse. I may change the oil and see if it may have gotten some dirt up in there and maybe it well find it's way out.

• 3 weeks later...
I did take it and the noise was not there. But if I let it set for a couple days it start up but well go away. You can still here some. I do think it is a lifter. I just really do not want them to tear into it if it is not going to get any worse. I may change the oil and see if it may have gotten some dirt up in there and maybe it well find it's way out.

THE 4.6 3 VALVE ENGINE DOESN'T HAVE ANY LIFTERS, THE CAM RIDES DIRECTLY ON TOP OF THE ROLLER ARMS WHICH PUSH THE VALVES DIRECTLY. IS THERE A S/C INSTALLED ON YOUR CAR? MAKE SURE YOU USE THE MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC AND A FORD RACING OIL FILTER, MY FORD TECH TELLS ME ABOUT FORD NOT WARRANTYING ENGINES WITH AFTERMARKET FILTERS, THESE NEW MOD MOTOR 4.6 3V NEED TO USE ONLY FACTORY OIL FILTERS.

THE 4.6 3 VALVE ENGINE DOESN'T HAVE ANY LIFTERS, THE CAM RIDES DIRECTLY ON TOP OF THE ROLLER ARMS WHICH PUSH THE VALVES DIRECTLY. IS THERE A S/C INSTALLED ON YOUR CAR? MAKE SURE YOU USE THE MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC AND A FORD RACING OIL FILTER, MY FORD TECH TELLS ME ABOUT FORD NOT WARRANTYING ENGINES WITH AFTERMARKET FILTERS, THESE NEW MOD MOTOR 4.6 3V NEED TO USE ONLY FACTORY OIL FILTERS.

The Ford Racing filter is not a requirement; the standard Motorcraft filter will suffice. Synthetic is not a requirement either, but Ford does recommend their Motorcraft semi-synthetic I believe. Check your owner's manual.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry I have not gotten back to this issue but work has had me going. The noise is not has bad and does go away. Some time it is not there. I still think it is a lifter. Someone said there are no lifters, well there are. The cam followers rest on them and the valve. I well let all know if anything changes.

I am sorry I have not gotten back to this issue but work has had me going. The noise is not has bad and does go away. Some time it is not there. I still think it is a lifter. Someone said there are no lifters, well there are. The cam followers rest on them and the valve. I well let all know if anything changes.

Exhaust leak maybe?

Archived