TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help! Transmission / Throw Out Bearing Problem??

69Bluemach1

I picked up my 2008 GT500 yesterday and I think it has a bad throw out bearing, or transmission problem, after 225 miles. :banghead:

After driving the car I noticed a noise that sounded like gear whine in first and second gear :censored: . I then noticed noises at stoplights with the clutch in or out which continued with the car in neutral :censored::censored: . When I parked in the garage I could change the noise by engaging/disengaging the the clutch, or by lightly touching the clutch pedal. The final clue was when I turned the car off the noise continued winding down. All this makes me believe the throw out bearing is bad.

I bought the car about 100 miles away to get the one I wanted at a reasonable price and don't want to have to take it all the way back in its present condition. Does any one have an SVT dealer in Houston they would recommend? Any help would be appreciated! :banghead:

post-11529-1196568561_thumb.jpg

post-11529-1196568561_thumb.jpg

I picked up my 2008 GT500 yesterday and I think it has a bad throw out bearing, or transmission problem, after 225 miles. :banghead:

After driving the car I noticed a noise that sounded like gear whine in first and second gear :censored: . I then noticed noises at stoplights with the clutch in or out which continued with the car in neutral :censored::censored: . When I parked in the garage I could change the noise by engaging/disengaging the the clutch, or by lightly touching the clutch pedal. The final clue was when I turned the car off the noise continued winding down. All this makes me believe the throw out bearing is bad.

I bought the car about 100 miles away to get the one I wanted at a reasonable price and don't want to have to take it all the way back in its present condition. Does any one have an SVT dealer in Houston they would recommend? Any help would be appreciated! :banghead:

Have you read the manual yet?

Dave

I read the part about more than normal transmission noise in the Shelby Supplement, but his seems exceptionally loud. Is there some other part of the manual I should look at?

Have you read this:

"Your vehicle is equipped with a twin disc cera-metallic clutch. This clutch incorporates racing technology to combine a low inertia clutch assembly with a very durable friction material with high torque capability. Depending on your driving technique, the smoothness of how the vehicle reacts to clutch engagement may be different from other vehicles you have driven. This behavior is typical of a cera-metallic clutch and is not indicative of any abnormal issues with your vehicle."

Roll Over Noise:

SOME 2007MY GT500 MUSTANGS WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A LIGHT 'GEAR ROLLOVER' NOISE WHILE THE CLUTCH IS ENGAGED AND THE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL. GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC UNDER THESE CONDITIONS. IF THE NOISE IS BELIEVED TO BE ABNORMALLY LOUD, PLEASE COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY REPAIR. REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 308 FOR ADDITIONAL MANUAL TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION.

Gear Rattle:

SOME 2007MY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A 'GEAR RATTLE' NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE DURING 1ST & 2ND GEAR SLOW OR GRADUAL LAUNCH OF THE VEHICLE. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE IS ONLY PRESENT IN 1ST & 2ND GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY CONTACT PATTERN. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. RECOMMEND COMPARISON TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

Clutch Chatter at Launch:

SOME 2007MY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A 'CLUTCH CHATTER' DURING INITIAL LAUNCH OF THE VEHICLE. THE CLUTCH CHATTER MAY BE PRESENT IN 1ST AND REVERSE GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING. THE CLUTCH CHATTER HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. RECOMMEND COMPARISON TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

Clutch Hiss during initial engagement of Cerametalic Clutch:

SOME 2007MY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A 'CLUTCH HISS' NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE DURING CLUTCH ENGAGEMENT. THE CLUTCH HISS NOISE IS MOST NOTICEABLE DURING INITIAL ENGAGEMENT OF THE CLUTCH INTO 1ST AND/OR REVERSE GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING CONTACTING THE PRESSURE PLATE AND FLY WHEEL METAL SURFACES. THE CLUTCH HISS NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE CLUTCH OR TRANSMISSION. RECOMMEND COMPARISON TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

I did read the entire section in the manual about the transmission noise and I will be exceptionally happy if this noise is "normal", but it is very loud and in any other car I have ever owned I would be removing the transmission and checking the parts. Any thoughts on how loud indicate more than "normal".

I should clarify that I don't like the noise. I would just prefer that no one has to rip the car apart at 225 miles.

I did read the entire section in the manual about the transmission noise and I will be exceptionally happy if this noise is "normal", but it is very loud and in any other car I have ever owned I would be removing the transmission and checking the parts. Any thoughts on how loud indicate more than "normal".

I should clarify that I don't like the noise. I would just prefer that no one has to rip the car apart at 225 miles.

It's louder than any car I've ever owned, which includes the old "rock crusher" Muncie. On mine, it's normal.

This noise that is described in the post that I made from the manual is noises that I have never heard from my car or 3 others that local guys in my area have. So when people talk about it, I can't relate to it.

I have a Tranny and clutch problem but it has to do with the clutch hissing when it's not suppose too. My clutch is not dissengaged fully when my foot has the pedal depressed, so my gears grind.

im getting a new clutch as a precaution ... just because i can :yahoo:

Alloy Dave,

Are you talking about the gear noise being louder than the Muncie?

The noise that is concernig me is the one that continues to wind down even after I turn off the car. The only thing I can think of that would still be moving is the bearing. The sound I am getting is similar to spinning the wheels of a shopping buggy by hand at a high rate of speed and letting them wind down. The noise is continuous at idle in neutral and continues, but winds down, when the car is turned off.

Alloy Dave,

Are you talking about the gear noise being louder than the Muncie?

The noise that is concernig me is the one that continues to wind down even after I turn off the car. The only thing I can think of that would still be moving is the bearing. The sound I am getting is similar to spinning the wheels of a shopping buggy by hand at a high rate of speed and letting them wind down. The noise is continuous at idle in neutral and continues, but winds down, when the car is turned off.

When you depress the clutch pedal, does the sound go away?

If so, then it is normal "gear roll-over" noise........

If the sound changed while idling by depressing the clutch; I think we're talking about the same sound. I've never turned my car off with the clutch out while in neutral (at least...before I took the mufflers off :hysterical2: ). So I haven't heard it wind down....

I was intrigued by how loud the gear noise was when I first brought it home. But think nothing about it anymore.

I didn't try the clutch after I turned off the car. I could change the noise while idling with the clutch. I will check that in the morning.

I had pretty good luck at LoneStarFord for a problem on my GT500. They really did work with me and took care of the car. Stay away from Tomball Ford.

PM me if you wish but what part of town are you in? You are welcome to come by and 'compare notes' against my GT500. I am out on the northwest side, 249 at Louetta road. Will not be back in Houston until Wed though, finally comming home after 4 months working in Denver.

I had pretty good luck at LoneStarFord for a problem on my GT500. They really did work with me and took care of the car. Stay away from Tomball Ford.

PM me if you wish but what part of town are you in? You are welcome to come by and 'compare notes' against my GT500. I am out on the northwest side, 249 at Louetta road. Will not be back in Houston until Wed though, finally comming home after 4 months working in Denver.

i bought my car in planet ford they have pretty good service i had a clutch problem brand new!! pm me your phone number if you would like to meet and tell you if there is a problem or not. and you can compare note from mine too.

aldo santos

If the sound changed while idling by depressing the clutch; I think we're talking about the same sound. I've never turned my car off with the clutch out while in neutral (at least...before I took the mufflers off :hysterical2: ). So I haven't heard it wind down....

I was intrigued by how loud the gear noise was when I first brought it home. But think nothing about it anymore.

Yup this noise is NORMAL. I was surprised by how loud it was myself. I have heard all the above.. 1st and 1st to 2nd and the chatter. I havent noticed the Hiss but im sure it is there as well. With the clutch out and the car in neutral you can hear a slightly different noise than you do when launching and shifting from 1st to 2nd.

I have 850 miles on mine now and have even practiced launching from a stop in 2nd to see the difference in clutch noise. Its still there.

Your car is fine... I just turn up the radio :happy feet: , But if you like to hear the supercharger whine when you hammer down then dont turn up the radio. You will get used to the noise and not even think twice about it in time, just as Sprint200 has said.

Um, when the motor stops, pretty much everything in the clutch package stops, too. Including the throwout bearing. So the sound you hear spinning down is not clutch related.

Think a minute - the clutch is released, meaing the plates are engaged against the flywheel, which is not moving. There's nothing spinning in there after the motor stops. The TB rests against the fork and the pressure plate. Neither one of them is moving, either.

Also, the throwout is engaged when the clutch pedal is depressed. TB noise usually goes completely away when pedal pressure is applied and rattles when the pedal is released and the loose parts are allowed to rattle around. In really bad cases, it gets worse when the pedal is pressed, but then the clutch won't disengage. Either way, there is a VERY noticeable sound difference between pedal in and pedal out if it is a throwout bearing.

Again, I don't think anything is wrong with the clutch/T-Bearing.

The gearbox sounds like a truck's granny gear in neutral and low gears and if you leave your hand on the shifter, it makes it worse. It will change with the clutch pedal position. Think HEAVY DUTY, and you learn to love the sound.

The clutch hisses like a snake, and sounds completely cool. IMHO, it's not loud enough.

I'm still scratching my head on the spinning down sound after engine shutoff. If it was a plane, I say it was the magnetos. Radiator fan? Inside heater fan? You listening to Pink Floyd on the Sirius? It doesn't shut off till you open the door...

Think HEAVY DUTY, and you learn to love the sound.

The clutch hisses like a snake, and sounds completely cool. IMHO, it's not loud enough.

I'm still scratching my head on the spinning down sound after engine shutoff. If it was a plane, I say it was the magnetos. Radiator fan? Inside heater fan? You listening to Pink Floyd on the Sirius? It doesn't shut off till you open the door...

I have three comments...related in order to your three statements above.

1) +1...what makes my Camaro so fun is that hot air that comes in under the tunnel around the shifter boot...the idiosyncracies of high-perf cars is what makes them so enjoyable (within reason of course) IMO

2) Again... +1

3) This is a really long shot...but could it be the starter? If somehow the flywheel ring gear is hitting the starter teeth...and that noise is the starter 'winding down'?

+1 about idiosyncracies. I'm used to heat, clunks, engine smell, and rough rides, it's part of the ride.

I hear complaints about the interior not being cushy enough, or power passenger seats and things, and I think I like things the way they are. I'm plenty spoiled by this car.

On the starter, that sounds right, because they do wind down, but I'd think there would be grinding at some point if the ring gear is involved. Unless there's a fault in the switch and there's a momentary contact when you switch off the key (not likely). I think it's got to be some sort of fan or accessory.

Okay, tonight before I shut off the car, I turned on the fan, put the car in neutral, set the brake, held my breath and turned it off.

Well, everything (including the fan) turned off very quickly, but I'll be darned if there wasn't something in the dash winding down. It sounded sort of like an egg timer (?) and lasted about 10 seconds.

It was either pressure bleed from the ventilation system, the SC gauge, or possibly vacuum bleed from the brake canister. But it was definitely there.

Interesting...

I had a Ford Engineer in the store yesterday and he said there is a lot of problems with the tranny and clutch in this car nationwide

he said one guy in the southeast had almost the same problems your having and he had them order a new trany and clutch for that guy's with only 600 miles on it

I had a Ford Engineer in the store yesterday and he said there is a lot of problems with the tranny and clutch in this car nationwide

he said one guy in the southeast had almost the same problems your having and he had them order a new trany and clutch for that guy's with only 600 miles on it

I picked up my car with 18 miles on the odo, all quiet until today (we're at 280mi) there is a definate rattle (deep, almost like a metal to metal knock, not tin like) when the car is idling in neutral, when I step on the gas pedal and give it a little blimp, the rattle increases. When I depress the clutch, it goes away entirely. It sounds like it is coming out of the 'center' of the car.

I'm thinking throwout bearing, any agree or disagree. I'm not the most mechaincal person, so any input is appreciated!

Thanx,

Tom

I picked up my car with 18 miles on the odo, all quiet until today (we're at 280mi) there is a definate rattle (deep, almost like a metal to metal knock, not tin like) when the car is idling in neutral, when I step on the gas pedal and give it a little blimp, the rattle increases. When I depress the clutch, it goes away entirely. It sounds like it is coming out of the 'center' of the car.

I'm thinking throwout bearing, any agree or disagree. I'm not the most mechaincal person, so any input is appreciated!

Thanx,

Tom

Have you read the owner's manual yet? If not, please do so. Many noises are normal.

Dave

Archived